Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Wifi vs OTG operation

jay1028

Join
Jan 11, 2018
Can someone explain why wifi has such a problem with the Spark with Android? I mean, the phone is attached to the controller. It's not like there is a great distance between them. I down graded to 4.1.15 to be able to use OTG since wifi is unusable. I used a dedicated Samsung SM-S320 Android 6.01 and G530 Android 5.01. Two different phones same useless wifi connection. What gives? Fortunately both do OTG.

Reactions: Dizz and Sparkster
Last edited:
Reactions: Sparkster
I went back to .15 and I plan to stay here until otg is back. Or Until dji new boss (Apple) have them fix it. I noticed that in sports mode, .15 holds the cam a bit more steady then the updated firmware.

Reactions: Dizz
UPDATE

I am now able to use wifi. Here is what I did:
I tapped the wifi icon at the top of the screen and then selected CUSTOM. That switched from the 2.4 wifi to the 5.8 wifi. No lag and get battery telemetry. It is almost indiscernible from the OTG. I am still on 4.1.15. Everything is working too good to go and try any newer version.
Note: You have to have a phone that does 5.8ghz.

Reactions: Sparkster
UPDATE

I am now able to use wifi. Here is what I did:
I tapped the wifi icon at the top of the screen and then selected CUSTOM. That switched from the 2.4 wifi to the 5.8 wifi. No lag and get battery telemetry. It is almost indiscernible from the OTG. I am still on 4.1.15. Everything is working too good to go and try any newer version.
Note: You have to have a phone that does 5.8ghz.

newbie here. how do you check a phone to know it supports 5.8ghz ? thanks.

Easiest way is to use Wifi Analyzer. Click on wrench icon, then next screen you will see available wifi frequencies. If you only see 2.4, that is all you have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180212-095312.png
    Screenshot_20180212-095312.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20180212-095321.png
    Screenshot_20180212-095321.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 48
Lot of interference,lets say you spark is using 5.8ghz and then suddenly the reception is weak,the aircraft will switch its wifi to 2.4ghz and you phone wifi will automatically connect to 5.8ghz,during the process you will lose completely live video feed and telemetry till the wifi is reconnected again,but what will happen if you phone doesn't support 5.8ghz?you phone will shared wifi 2.4ghz bands with the aircraft and here come the laggy video feed

If your phone supports only 2.4, then you have to use OTG and version 4.1.15. If your phone does not support OTG or 5.8ghz, blame DJI for their careless lack of Android support in their latest releases. It seems that once I select 5.8, it stays on 5.8. I am lucky. Why DJI is not supporting us is a mystery.

Reactions: Dizz
If your phone supports only 2.4, then you have to use OTG and version 4.1.15. If your phone does not support OTG or 5.8ghz, blame DJI for their careless lack of Android support in their latest releases. It seems that once I select 5.8, it stays on 5.8. I am lucky. Why DJI is not supporting us is a mystery.
In my case live video feed is 720p on otg within 500m radius,with wifi after passing 100m the live video feed is so laggy (240p)..

In my case live video feed is 720p on otg within 500m radius,with wifi after passing 100m the live video feed is so laggy (240p)..
What android are you using to fly with? I have a note 8 and my video feed stays the same no matter how far I go. If you have something that doesn't have alot of ram or isn't powerful enough they maybe that's why it drops out and gets laggy. I've flown with quite a few tablets and the ones that don't have enough processing power will get very laggy when flying. Maybe try a diffrent device and see if that helps.

What android are you using to fly with? I have a note 8 and my video feed stays the same no matter how far I go. If you have something that doesn't have alot of ram or isn't powerful enough they maybe that's why it drops out and gets laggy. I've flown with quite a few tablets and the ones that don't have enough processing power will get very laggy when flying. Maybe try a diffrent device and see if that helps.
I'm flying in build up area,alot of interference...Screenshot_2018-02-13-22-30-42-75.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-13-15-27-51-09.jpgScreenshot_2018-02-10-18-25-33-70.jpg

Maybe its just always the areas i fly in . Your phone should be sufficient enough for the spark. I have been in some heavy interference with my phantom but not really with my spark yet. Im going to atlanta next week so see how it does over by the stadium.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf