Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Yaw errors - magnetic field errors and ATTI Mode

Pascal95

Join
Sep 24, 2019
Loc
France
Hi from France
I acquired my spark (with OTG cable – Samsung Galaxy S7) since early 2019. I did some flights without any problem, thanks to you and your advices.
But on holiday in Iceland, a wonderful country, last august, I almost lost my spark several times. Magnetic field interference, compass error, yaw error.

I have to calibrate compass when I arrived in Iceland (but not IMU)
First flight, apparently no problem (but a few compass errors I saw later in the log)

Second day : compass errors and ATTI mode (first time for me) and panic because of speed, but I managed to get it back. It was careless but I tried several times that day because I really wanted to film but, each time, there were errors.
I tried to calibrate compass the next day but with the same problems. I finally stopped using Spark because I was too scared to lose it definitively.

Back in France, I have not used Spark yet (maybe also a little stressed)

Do you think I should have calibrate IMU too ?
Do you think my spark has another problem ?
I have read somewhere that magnetic fields in Iceland are weak and might cause errors.

Thanks for your advices.

You will find below some links of my flights.

Can't say for sure, but being that Iceland is so volcanic, I'd be surprised if there weren't high amounts of ferrous minerals in the landscape. The closer you go toward the north pole, the more offset you experience from the magnetic pole. Could be that GPS may be less reliable due to solar activity, so the Kp rating for the time of flight could factor into it. Iceland can experience the aurora, so there's that atmospheric potential.

Here's an interesting thread from this site's sister, MavicPilots that may render a clue:

Flying in Iceland

I had similar issue where I live in Canada. I ended up crashing and using my DJI refresh and since my new Spark I have had no issues with many flights with it. I think my old spark was build on a Monday with someone with a hangover. Sync your flight logs to DJI and get them to go over the records. They might see a problem and send you a new spark. Never know til you ask.

Thank you for your feedback.
The thread mentioned by I B Spectre is interesting.
I wonder if anyone who has been to Iceland with a spark has also encountered frequent problems or if this is rather rare.
My spark is still under warranty for a few months. So, I am going to contact DJI but DJI support in Europe has not a good reputation.

Iceland is close to magic north. This would mean any compass would be challenged. If IMU isn't spot on the target for yaw PIDs would be poorly matched.
PIDs or IMU calibration are the core of quadcopters. It's imperative they are tuned right.

Thank you for your feedback.
The thread mentioned by I B Spectre is interesting.
I wonder if anyone who has been to Iceland with a spark has also encountered frequent problems or if this is rather rare.
My spark is still under warranty for a few months. So, I am going to contact DJI but DJI support in Europe has not a good reputation.
Ask `RendleshamUAP`on this forum, he got back from a trip there about 6 weeks ago....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast