Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

A Drone Flying Above The Clouds in Johnson City TN

This is my first time using YouTube built in editor . I dont thinks its for me what do you guys thin

• I have used Youtube Editor and i like it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
How do you maintain Line of Sight if your UAS is above the clouds?

Enjoy the "hobby" freedom while you can because the new Federal Regs will probably hamper many flights like this.

That is neat.

Be careful up there in the fog as it may affect the VPS and your flight time could be reduced when the Spark thinks it is landing when it's still way the heck up there and it will be a slow decent until it does land, whether on it's own or gravity when the battery is dead.

Litchi or a modded app(?) can be installed to turn OFF the bottom sensors, but slow down when you get close to the ground since they are OFF.

Reactions: Roy Rogers

Enjoy the "hobby" freedom while you can because the new Federal Regs will probably hamper many flights like this.
It will take me a min. but I will post you a photo of how

Its out of respect Al That i allow you to look behind the curtain ;)
For me its all smoke and mirrors .This is my take off spot their is six of us standing directly below . i fly to the edge of the FOG and Abra Cadabra .... Im Above the Clouds . For any one else with faa Questions please Read the YouTube description . You Rock Al

That is neat.

Be careful up there in the fog as it may affect the VPS and your flight time could be reduced when the Spark thinks it is landing when it's still way the heck up there and it will be a slow decent until it does land, whether on it's own or gravity when the battery is dead.

Litchi or a modded app(?) can be installed to turn OFF the bottom sensors, but slow down when you get close to the ground since they are OFF.
The Complete flight was < 6 mins It was a rainy day with a short break in the rain I saw a perfect chance to get footage

Reactions: Spark 317
View attachment 9158

Its out of respect Al That i allow you to look behind the curtain ;)
For me its all smoke and mirrors .This is my take off spot their is six of us standing directly below . i fly to the edge of the FOG and Abra Cadabra .... Im Above the Clouds . For any one else with faa Questions please Read the YouTube description . You Rock Al

Very well played :)

As I am coming to understand the FAA is about to release a lot of new Rules guidelines and regulations that will prohibit a flight like this in the future .

Reactions: BigAl07
As I am coming to understand the FAA is about to release a lot of new Rules guidelines and regulations that will prohibit a flight like this in the future .

What is the specific regulation or rule that would be broken under the soon to be proposed FAA guidelines?

Please explain!

What is the specific regulation or rule that would be broken under the soon to be proposed FAA guidelines?

Please explain!

I cant say for sure but I hear a 500ft below a could limit and 2000 ft from a cloud horizonal . this is not fact! just hear say

Wow. That's very specific. What is your source?
lol some guy in south California.

I am not aviating for it . I want to see the VLOS reversed if your using a DJI GPS Drone ! Personal I only follow FAA out of respect for people that know more then I do . DJI has put millions into they're drones. the US armed forces as well as Law enforcement use them !

I would like to see the FAA involve DJI and the other 3% of Drone manufactures allowing the software to decide where we can and cant fly , soooooo all of us can focus on Fun / Art / and enjoying our hobby . Not being bogged down and worrying if we're doing the right thing !

Its the only way into the future of Drones .
They are not going away ..
Only More and more of us over time...
FAA get with the times and everyone can move safely into the Future !

Reactions: Surfnut

I am not aviating for it . I want to see the VLOS reversed if your using a DJI GPS Drone ! Personal I only follow FAA out of respect for people that know more then I do . DJI has put millions into they're drones. the US armed forces as well as Law enforcement use them !

I would like to see the FAA involve DJI and the other 3% of Drone manufactures allowing the software to decide where we can and cant fly , soooooo all of us can focus on Fun / Art / and enjoying our hobby . Not being bogged down and worrying if we're doing the right thing !

I like your enthusiasm. I am fighting cynicism regarding the future of our beloved hobby.

The government sees drones as a threat. I am pleasantly surprised that recent and proposed regulations are actually less restrictive. Go figure. I suspect this is temporary.

Technology is our mistress but also our enemy. As drones become more powerful it will bring much excitement but the perceived threat will also escalate.

As a Chinese company DJI is not a favored company.

I feel like I am watching in slow motion a game already in checkmate. Drones aren't going away but I fear only commercial entities and government will have the privilege of flying unmanned aircraft.

I like your enthusiasm. I am fighting cynicism regarding the future of our beloved hobby.

The government sees drones as a threat. I am pleasantly surprised that recent and proposed regulations are actually less restrictive. Go figure. I suspect this is temporary.

Technology is our mistress but also our enemy. As drones become more powerful it will bring much excitement but the perceived threat will also escalate.

As a Chinese company DJI is not a favored company.

I feel like I am watching in slow motion a game already in checkmate. Drones aren't going away but I fear only commercial entities and government will have the privilege of flying unmanned aircraft.

I feel you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the US wants a drone leader then they should act like it . until theny do DJI is King

My point it should be up to the manufacturer of the product to regulate , the FAA might be out of touche with the VLOS ?

Last edited:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the FAA is getting on board with the tech, they have outsourced their new drone flight planning app to a big league player that does it better than anyone and i think in time it will be be a drone connected app. The rules are pretty simple now though using the FAA planning app.

With all due respect to every post above....

It's very likely the rules will get tougher and tougher going forward and if there is a loss of life due to sUAS to Manned Aircraft we'll see restrictions imposted that will be mind boggling. If we can't Self Police and show that as an industry we want safety to be paramount and be willing to take action against our own who jeopardize that safety then we in essence force the FAA to enact tougher and tougher rules.

I feel you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if the US wants a drone leader then they should act like it . until theny do DJI is King

My point it should be up to the manufacturer of the product to regulate , the FAA might be out of touche with the VLOS ?

DJI is a Chinese company of mostly hobby/toy grade sUAS. The total sUAS and UAS market is much bigger than what we see through this narrow field of view.

Because DJI is a Chinese company and they have already demonstrated (just in the sUAS market) several instances of Sensitive Information Mining/Gathering so the odds of the FAA bringing them in for consulting are very low to none IMHO.

The FAA is definitely in line/touch with VLOS. National Airspace System is 100% controlled by the FAA so I don't see how them regulating flight in order to maintain NAS Safety seems like a reach for the FAA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme