Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Active Track Distance Limits

redrydermedia

Join
Jun 22, 2017
I understand Active Track is limited to 100ft. I believe this distance is the horizontal distance from Home Point to Spark. I believe this restriction is independent of elevation, but I don't really know.

I can't find these restrictions in the manual. I saw a video that made these claims. I haven't tested these limits because I'm trying to play very conservative/safe with Spark to avoid anything that might initiate a flyaway.

If the 100ft limit is true, then I'm limited in my wandering by a circle with a 100ft radius, with a center at the Home Point. Based on that, I've been flying Spark wrong. I've been taking off and backing Spark up to a separation distance I want between me and Spark. What I should be doing is back MYSELF up so Spark remains at the Home Point, and then when I venture out with Active Track from there, I have the maximum area to wander in, and not have Spark go outside the circle. Maybe a subtle point, but I'm going to change how I think from now on.

I hope DJI can provide some clarity on this issue, and I hope they will open up these limitations, or allow this 100ft parameter to be set by the operator.

Check this video
It give good indication about active track and its limitations.

Check this video
It give good indication about active track and its limitations.
Yes, this is the video I referenced in my previous post. It would be nice if DJI explained this in their manual, rather than relying on a third party.

If they explained it. They would get fewer buyers. I wouldnt bought it IF i knew the limitations.

I don't think this was intentional.....but I understand how you feel. I think the 100ft is a significant limitation. I assume it has something to do with RTH, but they allow much longer flights. Not sure why they need this artificial limitation.

I don't think this was intentional.....but I understand how you feel. I think the 100ft is a significant limitation. I assume it has something to do with RTH, but they allow much longer flights. Not sure why they need this artificial limitation.

taboo-ingly, I don't have this limitation any more. I can active track greater than the 100 radius limit.

And also, DJI did the artificially limit thing to endorse controller sales. If you know what you are doing, you can cheaply build wifi boosters/extenders get further range. The RC controller is nothing but a wifi range booster.

You use a Mavic ? :)
Lol. I know what you are saying =)

But yes, both Mavic and spark are unshackled if i were to use the term loosely..

Lol. I know what you are saying =)

But yes, both Mavic and spark are unshackled if i were to use the term loosely..
Thanks for letting us know it can be done.....it would be nice to know the path to eliminating this artificial restriction.
Hopefully one of the video instruction authors will post a video explaining what DJI won't explain.

taboo-ingly, I don't have this limitation any more. I can active track greater than the 100 radius limit.

And also, DJI did the artificially limit thing to endorse controller sales. If you know what you are doing, you can cheaply build wifi boosters/extenders get further range. The RC controller is nothing but a wifi range booster.
Hopefully one of the third party vendors or one of the video instruction bloggers will post or offer the "know what you're doing" information so the rest of us can enjoy the freedom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme