Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Adding another drone to my collection.

graywoulf

Endeavor to Persevere
Premium Pilot
Join
Mar 30, 2018
Loc
NC
Well, I have been a Spark Pilot for a while now but I just could not resist the urge to step up to a Mavic Mini 2 any more. I am looking forward to the new and better features but most of all I want to avoid having to deal with the remote ID thing that is getting closer and closer. I will probably keep one of my Sparks and sell the other one eventually. I am looking forward to the new experience but I will still hang out here as well. My Spark has done me proud I must say. No runaways and no crashes either. I will be posting some videos hopefully soon.
You guys take care.

Yeah, bound to happen eventually with all Spark pilots, though we can be a stubborn bunch and hang on to what many see as old tech.
Tell you what though, I totally agree the Spark is probably the most bombproof of all the DJI drones, very hard to kill one.
All the best with the mini 2, they are pretty well settled in now, very few issues with experienced pilots on the sticks.

Well, I have been a Spark Pilot for a while now but I just could not resist the urge to step up to a Mavic Mini 2 any more. I am looking forward to the new and better features but most of all I want to avoid having to deal with the remote ID thing that is getting closer and closer. I will probably keep one of my Sparks and sell the other one eventually. I am looking forward to the new experience but I will still hang out here as well. My Spark has done me proud I must say. No runaways and no crashes either. I will be posting some videos hopefully soon.
You guys take care.
Good to hear. I’ve done almost the same. All the best.

Reactions: graywoulf
Have you considered the new Mini 3? .... The reason I say that is because to me Sparky seems like it's built to last, whilst later versions of DJI products feel like if you get 3 years you're doing ok. I've a Mavic 2 and it feels like the batteries last at best 3 years depending on how you treat them. Also I don't have one, but the new Autel Nano looks impressive. I have a Mini 1 and haven't had any problems, and so you'll definitely love the more solid Mini 2. DJI seem to launch drones 90% there, (my warning if waiting for 3) and so Mini 2 has all the bugs fixed and would be good.

Have you considered the new Mini 3? .... The reason I say that is because to me Sparky seems like it's built to last, whilst later versions of DJI products feel like if you get 3 years you're doing ok. I've a Mavic 2 and it feels like the batteries last at best 3 years depending on how you treat them. Also I don't have one, but the new Autel Nano looks impressive. I have a Mini 1 and haven't had any problems, and so you'll definitely love the more solid Mini 2. DJI seem to launch drones 90% there, (my warning if waiting for 3) and so Mini 2 has all the bugs fixed and would be good.
I would have liked to wait for the Mini 3 but I did the best I could with the funds I had. Maybe in a year or so I will consider that upgrade by just buying the drone and batteries since I read that the Mini 2 controller will work with the Mini 3.

If you've read any of the Mavic 3 release glitches, and there are still some poor ones present, you'd be happy to wait a little.
I'd expect a wait of several months after the Mini 3 is released before I'd consider it.

The camera will make a big difference to the more pro photographer, and from the little I've seen on the Mini 3 posts there is supposed to be a base and possibly a pro model with a 1/1.3" sensor, the pro version with perhaps extra OA sensors.

How they will keep these new Minis under 250g will be interesting.

Should find out all the facts in about a month.

The Mini 2 is going to seem like a 10x step up from the Spark in photo / video form anyway, plus you'll probably be twiddling your thumbs a bit now and then with the extra flight time.

If you've read any of the Mavic 3 release glitches, and there are still some poor ones present, you'd be happy to wait a little.
I'd expect a wait of several months after the Mini 3 is released before I'd consider it.

The camera will make a big difference to the more pro photographer, and from the little I've seen on the Mini 3 posts there is supposed to be a base and possibly a pro model with a 1/1.3" sensor, the pro version with perhaps extra OA sensors.

How they will keep these new Minis under 250g will be interesting.

Should find out all the facts in about a month.

The Mini 2 is going to seem like a 10x step up from the Spark in photo / video form anyway, plus you'll probably be twiddling your thumbs a bit now and then with the extra flight time.
I have not read a lot about the Mini 3 but I expected there to be some issues with a new drone. I am looking forward to the extra flight time and having three batteries should be more than needed. My Mini 2 is expected to arrive tomorrow. :D👍

I have not read a lot about the Mini 3 but I expected there to be some issues with a new drone. I am looking forward to the extra flight time and having three batteries should be more than needed. My Mini 2 is expected to arrive tomorrow. :D👍
graywoulf - how do you like it so far? The first thing I noticed were the props are so much quieter than on Spark. The 4k camera on it is very nice. Also, Occusync 2.0 for range and, as mentioned, the longer battery life is great...however, the Spark is built so much more substantially. The mini 2 seems so cheap. I presume it's to keep it under the 250g... but if you hold the two drones in each hand... you see how solid the Spark seems compared to the mini 2?

I still fly the Spark and I am not ready to sell it yet. I think a lot of people here feel the same.

graywoulf - how do you like it so far? The first thing I noticed were the props are so much quieter than on Spark. The 4k camera on it is very nice. Also, Occusync 2.0 for range and, as mentioned, the longer battery life is great...however, the Spark is built so much more substantially. The mini 2 seems so cheap. I presume it's to keep it under the 250g... but if you hold the two drones in each hand... you see how solid the Spark seems compared to the mini 2?

I still fly the Spark and I am not ready to sell it yet. I think a lot of people here feel the same.
I have only flown it once so far just to get the feel of it. I really can't tell much difference between it and the Spark yet other than it's speed. It is quick and fast for sure and it almost reminded me of some of my small mini FPV quads in that respect. It has been raining since I first flew the Mini 2 on Friday but the sun has peeked out through the clouds today but the wind is too rough to fly.

I live in a fairly congested area with lots of power lines and a cell tower plus a line of huge high tension power lines and towers so I can't really test it out yet. The one flight did show me some good quality video albeit roof tops roads and some trees. I will take it out for a good shake down next week and hopefully be able to post a decent video for you to see then.

At this point, I think that I will keep my newer Spark as a backup and because I like flying it too.

Reactions: twickers14
You guys take care.
Hi, what is the remote id thing? Not been in here for months, another screw over?

Hi, what is the remote id thing? Not been in here for months, another screw over?

Only USA pilots when it's fully implemented, and still a little way off.
Some DJI drones have the ability, others will need a small module retro fitted to continue flying legally.

Some US pilots are concerned, with a simple app anyone is supposedly able to pinpoint a pilots location . . . seems like undue concern if flying legally etc, but I guess there are some crazies out there.

seems like undue concern if flying legally etc, but I guess there are some crazies out there.

No problems about flying legally, but the busy bodies that have nothing to do but complain can ruin your flight.

Give them a digital inch and they'll take a mile 400 feet AGL. :D

Only USA pilots when it's fully implemented, and still a little way off.
Some DJI drones have the ability, others will need a small module retro fitted to continue flying legally.

Some US pilots are concerned, with a simple app anyone is supposedly able to pinpoint a pilots location . . . seems like undue concern if flying legally etc, but I guess there are some crazies out there.
They are sniffing it out in Canada too.
:(

Reactions: SPark_South_Oz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme