Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

:) An overview on the mandatory Spark update

PaulArcher

Join
Aug 24, 2017
Hello,
Most people here already know about this update and probably have already done it.
But for those of you who didn't don't get scared about DJI claims.

They said that all the drones that aren't updated until the first of september will be deactivated.
That's certanly only a scare tactic.

HOWEVER! Considering the big number of spark drones that have fallend out of the sky recently, we should all be aware of the more important issue.

You don't want a drone that falls into someone's head on the news, do you?

Here's the overview on the update:

And now a quick question, do you have Goggles and the Spark?

Reactions: Harnanto
Hello,
Most people here already know about this update and probably have already done it.
But for those of you who didn't don't get scared about DJI claims.

They said that all the drones that aren't updated until the first of september will be deactivated.
That's certanly only a scare tactic.

HOWEVER! Considering the big number of spark drones that have fallend out of the sky recently, we should all be aware of the more important issue.

You don't want a drone that falls into someone's head on the news, do you?

Here's the overview on the update:

And now a quick question, do you have Goggles and the Spark?
Why do you think its only a scare tactic?
DJI are perfectly capable of rendering UAV's remotely inactive via firmware.

There have been mandatory updates previously on other DJI platforms

The update is simply to fix Sparks falling out of the sky. There is no better way to kill a product that have a major problem that the public perceives as dangerous. Look at the Ford Pinto, the Chevy Vega, the recent Samsung phone that blew up the battery. There is no grand conspiracy here. DGI wants everybody to have the upgrade so the product is a success. It's that simple. So Many of you that scream conspiracy sound like you've never been in business before.

Last edited:
It's "Mandatory" which means you update your Spark or you have a $499 paperweight. As @Glen e said, it's a safety issue and considering the update modifies the AC, RC and all batteries, it's strongly suggested / mandated that Spark owners do it.

I'm guessing because DJI haven't exactly (or even a little bit) explained what the update entails is why everyone is firing up.

Reactions: hab25
I'm only skimming here...
None of it has to do with modifications. If this was to do with modifications then the Mavic would have had mandatory updates by now.
There are 2 separate issues i believe and its enough to warrant mandatory updates for the spark.
1. Battery cutting off - possibly the battery not reacting fast enough. This happens in cold climates or when the voltage is in excess triggering battery cut-off. This has been seen in the P3's.
2. Excessive tilt angles that triggers the kill switch. Some have reported this when flying acrobatically in sports mode. You can replicate this by hand catching and rolling the spark to the side. It doesn't take much angle for the spark to trigger motor cut off.

Reactions: Lamplighter55
1. Yes, same opinion as you
2. On mine, it turn off at ±90° and watching pitch and roll angle in flight record when doing some crazy acrobatic flight in sport mode, it comes not that far from such limit. If you add some wind and some other factors it could probably trigger it.
3. Too high current drawn from the battery in such flight, it goes well above 100W power and the battery would protect it-self on short term (no idea where is the limit, if there is one).
4. Some special protection in the Spark flight controller where during such acrobatic flight it gets to a point where a motor is running at 100% (mean it cannot act to control its position as it should) too long, it shut off.

All of this are only guessing out of what can be observed or past experience.

Reactions: sparkpod
I just want to point out, the .0600 update everyone is shouting about, doesn't seem to be the mandatory one for which DJI forces acknowledgement. If it were, it seems to me, there'd be no point in forcing that acknowledgement every time you start up. Why warn the customer that he must do what he has already done? (Or maybe I'm the only one still seeing that message?) I think the mandatory update is yet to come, exactly as the message says.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

If you don't update to 600, you won't be able to fly past sept 1. That is clear and simple that 600 is mandatory. How can you read it any different?

In my opinion, because you get an alert on top for Bluetooth Interference and it won't fly, that was one of the major problems with the spark. Every article you read plainly says this things like the article off Apple news:

"The company is grounding drones that have not been updated, as it wants to avoid mid-flight shutdowns, which would send the drone hurtling towards the ground".......

I just want to point out, the .0600 update everyone is shouting about, doesn't seem to be the mandatory one for which DJI forces acknowledgement. If it were, it seems to me, there'd be no point in forcing that acknowledgement every time you start up. Why warn the customer that he must do what he has already done? (Or maybe I'm the only one still seeing that message?) I think the mandatory update is yet to come, exactly as the message says.

Yes, pressed this I KNOW button I don't know how many times.
If you look in the firmware list from the long press on 3 bars button in main Go4 app, you will see that there is already no downgrade possible for .0600. For the RC it is still possible to downgrade, but not for the Spark.
It doesn't formally mean that .0600 is the final before 01.09 but it is already one you cannot step back.
From past experiences with DJI, it is more a glitch in their app and each time you start Go4 with internet and it cannot heck the Spark version it display it, maybe their lawyers tell their engineers to do so :).

In general, even if all was nice a good with mine, it is clear that some potential big issue could just wait some specific condition to trigger a shutdown mid-flight. I am happy if they indirectly admit there was an issue and provide a solution to it, hopefully. I have not seen anything bad or new limitation with this update.

If you don't update to 600, you won't be able to fly past sept 1. That is clear and simple that 600 is mandatory. How can you read it any different?

In my opinion, because you get an alert on top for Bluetooth Interference and it won't fly, that was one of the major problems with the spark. Every article you read plainly says this things like the article off Apple news:

"The company is grounding drones that have not been updated, as it wants to avoid mid-flight shutdowns, which would send the drone hurtling towards the ground".......
I didn't mean to imply that 0600 was not mandatory, though I can see how you read it that way. I meant only that it does not seem to be the end state. But dronasin read my meaning and replied. I think he may be right, as I noticed I get the same message when the Mavic is connected at startup, and when nothing is connected at startup.

In terms of this update the statement from DJI is vague and does not say anything about Sparks just purchased and/or already in the supply chain - either sitting in a vendor's warehouse or in transit to customers but not likely to be delivered by the 1st September ... will these not fly 'out of the box' and require the update installed before anything else?

In terms of this update the statement from DJI is vague and does not say anything about Sparks just purchased and/or already in the supply chain - either sitting in a vendor's warehouse or in transit to customers but not likely to be delivered by the 1st September ... will these not fly 'out of the box' and require the update installed before anything else?

This is no different than buying a new big screen TV or an AV Amp, the first thing it tells you to do is update the software when you get it out of the box. In the past couple years about 80% of the electronics/devices I buy need an update if you unwrap them. So yeah, Some might be bricked if you unwrap them after September 1. I'm staring at a 60 inch 4K LG bought a week ago that told me to do an update immediately, so did my Apple TV box.

Reactions: Lamplighter55
Here is a good recap read today....

On the ExtremeTechWebsite:
The new update for the $500 Spark aircraft includes improvements to the flight and takeoff stability, as well as adding support for DJI’s VR goggles. The reason for all the aggressive behavior is the tweaked battery firmware in this update. Owners of the Spark have been reporting rare instances where the drone loses power during flight and falls out of the sky. That’s not just a recipe for a busted drone, but it could cause serious injury to anyone on the ground who might be in the way.

Bricking drones is an aggressive step to take, but DJI is really between a rock and a hard place. It has to ensure its devices comply with a myriad of overwrought regulations on drone aircraft around the world. Leaving a drone in operation that could drop from the sky at any moment is likely to upset regulators. The update can be performed via the DJI GO 4 app as long as your device is connected to the internet. There’s also a desktop client called DJI Assistant that can update the drone.

If it were, it seems to me, there'd be no point in forcing that acknowledgement every time you start up.
You're expecting too much. They simply did a quick job and set this warning to always display instead of bothering with actually checking the version first.

Ok this dji will 'brick' your drone term is really gripping my sh*t at the moment, bricking occurs when something becomes unusable and to the point of not being recoverable. The drones aren't being bricked, just grounded! Jesus, just make sure the update is done and we will all be happy as a hat, and hats are pretty happy!

Reactions: Kilrah
Ok this dji will 'brick' your drone term is really gripping my sh*t at the moment, bricking occurs when something becomes unusable and to the point of not being recoverable. The drones aren't being bricked, just grounded! Jesus, just make sure the update is done and we will all be happy as a hat, and hats are pretty happy!
I think we all have different definitions of what the term "brick" means. I remember early on with Nokia phones that they were using the term for any time that the handset went dead, and wouldn't work. Well if the drone can't fly, to me, that's bricked, because it can't perform its intended use. It's a paperweight. Nothing more than that. I'm really not part of the PC crowd, I don't care what you call it, but certainly after September 1, if you don't update, it's something different.

Bear in mind that many people use the term “bricking” incorrectly and refer to a device that isn’t working properly as “bricked.” if you can easily recover the device through a software process, it’s technically not “bricked.”

Reactions: Kilrah
"Bricked" has for as long as I've been dealing with IT and electronics referred to a totally unrecoverable situation, i.e. the only way to make it work again if any requires tools not available to the user and thus a trip to the factory.

This is absolutely not the case here, the only thing you need to do is click OK to accept the update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme