Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Another hard lesson learned

sharps45

Join
Apr 18, 2019
I know you're not supposed to fly in rain and snow, but I figured fog would be alright. Well, if the fog is thick and the temperature is 11 degrees F the Spark ices up really, really, fast! I hoped to get up above the fog and get some shots of the city lights shining through the fog from below. Luckily for me, I only got about 50 feet when a motor overload alarm came in and I lost total control. Down she came- luckily into some fresh powder snow. I have the video here, though

I'm pretty sure my lunch just rushed back up to my throat watching that, even though I knew the outcome was satisfactory, it still makes you hold your breath. sheesh.

Use caution when flying in the fog.

The VPS may "see" the fog as a hard surface and will take it's sweet time when landing from whatever height you're at.

The Spark may drop out of the sky if the battery is too low to make a landing as it's descending through the fog.

Snow may have the same effect.

A third party app such as Litchi has an option to turn off the bottom sensors during the flight.

Reactions: twickers14
Use caution when flying in the fog.

The VPS may "see" the fog as a hard surface and will take it's sweet time when landing from whatever height you're at.

The Spark may drop out of the sky if the battery is too low to make a landing as it's descending through the fog.

Snow may have the same effect.

A third party app such as Litchi has an option to turn off the bottom sensors during the flight.
Thanks for the info.
Wow! Tough lesson. Is your Spark OK? Thanks for sharing.
Had to dry it out and replace two chipped blades. Didn't try to fly today, so we'll see.

Flew my new Mavic 2 last December, Thick fog and negative 4 or something celcius. The props iced up very fast and gave a motor warning. So NEVER fly in icy conditions.

Hmm, someone needs to come up with heated props. ;)

How about spray bottle with an antifreeze solution mixed to be used as a deicing agent. ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast