Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone swapped out the shell on their Spark for a different color?

Join
Nov 3, 2017
I came across a great deal on a Spark Fly More Combo for $399, but it only came in White (I wanted Red). So I looked into some skins, and I just simply don't like the look of them. They don't look clean and the vents still expose the previous color.

I did some research and found on Amazon and Ebay you can actually buy the shells in all the other colors for really cheap. They even have the DJI logo on it making it look straight from the factory like a legitimate OEM part. Looking on YouTube of guys parting the Spark out to display it's guts, it seems as if this part can pry right off if you know what you're doing.

Has anyone done this? How easy was it?

Last edited:
With Spark, it's really easy - you have to remove 6 screws and use special plastic lever like the one in mobile phone repair kits to unlock latches without damaging them or scratching plastic surface.
Then - sky is the limit. I have dip painted my white Spark top cover, and it looks like factory made.
Then you just click it back, watching not to overtighten the screws and again: Sky is the limit. This time literally ;)

Reactions: chrisw06
With Spark, it's really easy - you have to remove 6 screws and use special plastic lever like the one in mobile phone repair kits to unlock latches without damaging them or scratching plastic surface.
Then - sky is the limit. I have dip painted my white Spark top cover, and it looks like factory made.
Then you just click it back, watching not to overtighten the screws and again: Sky is the limit. This time literally ;)

I appreciate the reply! Thanks! That's good to know. Wish there were some pictures floating around on the internet. It might be fun to switch them out occasionally if you're careful.

Yeah, I just bought a skin from DecalGirl to cover the Spark. One of the nice thing about the skin is that it covers the bottom too which can help with visibility of the drone in the air.

I did some research and found on Amazon and Ebay you can actually buy the shells in all the other colors for really cheap. They even have the DJI logo on it making it look straight from the factory like a legitimate OEM part. Looking on YouTube of guys parting the Spark out to display it's guts, it seems as if this part can pry right off if you know what you're doing.
Has anyone done this? How easy was it?

Yes, I switched from the original 12 grams top cover with to a 1 gram soft top cover, since I had to bring it down to 300 grams or less. A couple more weeks and the local aviation authority should name me an authorised operator :)

For your googling needs, that little plastic tool for opening a mobile phone is called a spudger. I got a set from Amazon a while back. They are great for doing...things!

Reactions: Mad.Flyer
I think a clear one would be cool

Yes, a clear shell like this one, however more like the original shell would be cool indeed!

sparky3_e21f9195-5f7f-46ce-91dc-4f7ded370731_1024x1024@2x.jpg

sparky_8f9c34e4-4a15-492b-af94-7142211618ab_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Conversion KIT e Montaggio Spark LT

Last edited:
I'm trying to change mine. The 4 back screws came out fine. But the 2 by the camera are an issue. Someone suggested they are 1.5 hex. But I don't see that being the case and they don't seem to be screws either. Any ideas?

I'm trying to change mine. The 4 back screws came out fine. But the 2 by the camera are an issue. Someone suggested they are 1.5 hex. But I don't see that being the case and they don't seem to be screws either. Any ideas?

When I opened mine, I used a torx (I think T6?) for all the screws. The 1.5 hex might still work on the Torx screws but for deeper ones like the ones next to the camera gimbal, it might not getting enough of a bite/torque.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme