Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery care for long term storage

wyx087

Join
Aug 17, 2017
As we head into winter months, there will be less flying, perhaps weeks not having opportunity to fly the drone. Even months not flying due to not wanting to stand in the cold.

What are battery care best practices?

- Store at 50%
- Check the charge bi-monthly and restore to 50% OR let the battery go into hibernation?
- Store at room temperature
- anything else?

Put them in some metallic box, best being fire proof and not near flammable materials.

Here's what I do:
  • I don't constantly press the battery button to check the current charge level (since that resets the time to discharge counter)
  • I check the charge level on my batteries once per month by pressing the battery button
  • When the 2nd battery light is blinking, I charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking (that way it doesn't have to discharge down from 100% again)
Pressing the button on the battery shows its current charge level. Here's what the lights mean:

Battery.jpg

Note: The red box is where you want your batteries to be while in storage.
Note: DJI recommends storing batteries between 40%-65% charged in the Battery Safety Guidelines.

Last edited:
I just let the intelligent batteries do their job.... They auto discharge into storage mode, nothing else needed
True, but the batteries will continue to slowly discharge when storing them for long periods of time. If you don't keep an eye on them, they could discharge to a dangerously low level and become damaged.

Reactions: Rafa7
I was told on one of my posts when i ranted about the price of these batteries that they were expensive for that reason. Thry discharge to a certain point and cut off....

Ill check on the for a couple of weeks when the rain starts to hit

Well, yes, they do auto discharge down to the storage level. After that occurs, the batteries will continue to slowly lose their charge over time (like all rechargeable batteries do). I doubt they would get down to a dangerous level unless you're storing them for more than 3 months.

So it's still best to keep an eye on them every month.

I have read somewhere that they are intelligent and they can go into hibernation mode, which will allow the battery to be stored for months without problem.

I have read somewhere that they are intelligent and they can go into hibernation mode, which will allow the battery to be stored for months without problem.
For a few months yes, but not that more. DJI says 3 months max until doing a charge cycle.
The intelligent circuit is turned off to minimize the drained current so the cells are on their own, but their natural self-discharge will continue.

Reactions: wyx087
I have a lot of DJI batteries, so it wouldn't be possible for me to fly all of them in a single month. So, I keep an ongoing appointment in my calendar to remember to check them once per month. I know they won't need to be charged monthly, but I check them monthly so I can charge them when they reach the 25%-38% range.

The Spark Battery Safety Guidelines mentions the following:

"The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long period. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation."

It also mentions the following:

"Fully charge and discharge the battery at least once every 3 months to maintain battery health."

About 2 years ago, I had to toss two Inspire 1 batteries because I left them sit for too long before checking them. Since then, I've been checking my batteries monthly (like I mentioned above) and haven't had a problem when any of my DJI batteries since then.

If you don't keep an eye on them, they could discharge to a dangerously low level and become damaged.

I agree. Better to use the battery then let it sit too long. Compared to my other LiPo batteries, the Spark batteries discharge pretty quick when sitting. They go to 1 or no lights in a short time. I checked the P3 batteries the other day and was surprised to see no lights. I put them on charge and they came back. I put a few flights in on them to go through some charge cycles. Better to use than lose...

With the P4, the battery charger has a specific setting for storage that charges only to the second light (50%?) I don't know why the Spark doesn't have this option.

If you are not going to be flying store the batteries discharged to about 20%. Then recharge every few months. Then repeat when not going to fly for awhile again. Not good to let them sit fully charged even though they discharge themselves. Tips from YouTube 'Drone Nation'.

If you are not going to be flying store the batteries discharged to about 20%. Then recharge every few months. Then repeat when not going to fly for awhile again. Not good to let them sit fully charged even though they discharge themselves. Tips from YouTube 'Drone Nation'.
Mistake, 'Drone Valley' NOT 'Drone Nation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme