Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery Management

That's the thing, I can't predict when I will fly. I don't know how to behave in that case. Should I leave them at 15-20% and try to fly again in 2-3 days, recharge them instantly to 50% after every flight and don't think about it anymore, or just charge them to 100% and let them sit for a day or two or a week (no recommended afaik). Since I don't plan to spend another 60e on a battery soon, maybe option no2 is the best bet, but again, two charges before every flight isn't a good option either from my perspective. I over-complicated the issue, I know. :)

The hardcoded period of 10 days is not optimal for sure. I think DJI support wasn't aware that this period is hardcoded on the Spark. However, it can be changed with the Mavic and P4, as far as I know.

Fully charged Lipos are under stress. But storing them empty is even worse. So the latter one should be avoided at all hazards. And, as somebody mentioned before, lots of loading cycles also decrease the battery life.

So it's a choice between pest and colera - as long as DJI doesn't let us change the discharge interval with the Spark o_O

I think for now, the best option would be to charge them to 100% again after a flight in summer time (where chances are good that you're going to fly more frequently) and in winter time, set them to 60% after a flight (where chances are high that you don't fly for a longer period). This would be the best compromise I think.

Now (in winter time) I use to fly my batteries to ~60% only, so I can just put them aside after flight and that's it.

Worst thing to do: (what everyone wants to do)
Get done flying and recharge batteries to 100% and then put it into their bag and throw it in the car so you can be ready to go if you see something or someplace fun to fly!

Doing this will destroy the lipo batteries. Which means the cells can bulge or have internal faults and more. You don't want your UAS to be mid flight, 100' in the air, and then go from 50% charged to 10% and falling.

Best thing to do:
Get done flying put the battery away 10-30% charged. Let the intelligent battery controller manage the cells.
Keep your flight gear in a place that stays between 70F and 85F.
Recharge batteries when you wish to use them. (I'll do it the night before).
Make sure the batteries are warm before you fly.

There are tons of youtube videos of folks describing the care of a LiPo Battery.

I chuckle when I hear novices say.. "I keep my drone in the trunk, so I am always ready to fly!!"

Reactions: Rafa7
Best thing to do:
Get done flying put the battery away 10-30% charged. Let the intelligent battery controller manage the cells.

I don't agree. First, the intelligent battery controller won't do anything if the battery is charged below 40%-65%. It only Discharges the battery by itself if it is chargerd higher than that.

Second, 10%-30% is way too low if you want to store the batteries for a longer period. Recommended storage charge level is 40%-65%

DJI Battery Manual:

Battery Storage
1. Discharge the battery to 40%-65% if it will NOT be used for 10 days or more.
This can greatly extend the battery life.

2. The battery automatically discharges to below 65% when it is idle for more
than 10 days to prevent it from swelling. It takes approximately 3 days to
discharge the battery to 65%. It is normal that you may feel moderate heat
emitting from the battery during the discharge process. Set the discharging
thresholds in the DJI GO 4 app.

3. DO NOT store the battery for an extended period after fully discharging it.
Doing so may over-discharge the battery and cause irreparable battery cell
damage.

4. The battery will enter hibernation mode if depleted and stored for a long
period. Recharge the battery to bring it out of hibernation.

5. Remove batteries from the aircraft when stored for an extended period.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
Hello guys, I am new here.
today i have purchased a used batteries from guy who sold his Spark, so I am wander how to see and how to check are these batteries in good and healthy condition after charging and do i have to reset them somehow etc.

Assuming they charge okay, place each one on the Spark and power it up.
Go to the battery management area in the Go4 app and all of the information for that battery should be displayed.

Serial number, Mfg. date, number of times charged, and general health of the battery.

There may be a firmware update for the battery, the app should let you know.

Reactions: Milos
Thanks
Ok. I put them on the charger. First the one battery start charging at once and second one didn’t charge but after 10 min and second one started. I leave them to charge and in two hours i will install them on the Spark and see the status. I hope they in the good health:)

So. batteries are Ok, Fully charged and check their status on the Spark. All cells works fine. Hope to fly this weekend * 4 batteries will be prepared :)

Last edited:
I just fully charge them after every flight including the controller.
I then leave them in the case where they will discharge themselfs after 10 days.
I keep the case in my house, not in t

At first glance, I thought of R2-D2.

"These are not the DRONES you're looking for, move along." :p

I just wrote a number with the marker, no need to use duck tape and stuff. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh