Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Battery problem

biswasg

Join
Dec 6, 2020
I had bought the DJI Spark Fly More Combo (Alpine White) in November 2017. After a little use, I did not use it for almost 2 years. Recently, when I tried to use the Spark, the batteries did not seem to be charging. I tried charging through the 3 battery platform as well as directly in the Spark. Only the first two green lights blink. Even after charging them overnight, the batteries remain dead.
Anything else I should do?

Reactions: Homicide38
Sorry about your batteries.

They may have sat too long and may not work again.

They are supposed to have a minimal charge at all times through battery care by charging them up to 50-75% and let them sit for a month and repeat the process.

A minimum charge of 10% is required to maintain the intelligence of the battery and once that is depleted, so is the battery.

Batteries are still available for purchase on line.

B and H Photo had some for $49 but are currently out, but more are on the way.

Amazon has them for $63.

shop around and good luck.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Ah, I am not sure the battery availability in Switzerland. I remember seeing a video where a person rejuvenated some completely dead cordless drill batteries by giving the individual cells power from a charged cell for a very short time. This gave them enough power for the charge controller circuit to allow the battery to be charged normally.

There are also people who connect a standard Lipo battery to the Spark as well... Try googling

I'm having the same problem. I've been Googling for the past 3 days and haven't really found any solution other than to buy new batteries. I was able to open up one of my batteries and manually charge it with a bench-top power supply to 12.6V (4.2V/cell) @ 0.125A (low current to reduce risk of fire/explosion). The battery is holding a charge which is good indication the cells are not totally ruined from over-discharging (albeit, likely has degraded capacity). Despite returning the pack to a stable state, the charging hub and USB air craft charger refuse to charge the battery. When inserted in the air craft, I can press once, press and hold for 2 seconds to turn the battery on, but the air craft will not power up. I did some more digging and discovered the battery management IC is a Texas Instruments part number (BQ9003). I couldn't find a datasheet anywhere for this IC. I believe the battery management IC sets a persistent error flag when over-discharged which renders the battery useless. To reset this flag would require an SMBus adapter and software, similar to what is shown in the two videos linked below. Cheapest I could find a TI EV2300 HPA002 pod was for $100 on eBay ($120 for two new battery packs on Amazon...).

Battery Mavic Air Repair (Remove Permanent Fail):
Battery Phantom 4 Repair (BQ30Z55) - Romanian Lang:
(This one is in Romanian, but you can auto-translate captions to English)

Here is a good summary of the issue:

Disclaimer: I do NOT recommend anyone attempt to manually recharge an over-discharged LiPo battery without first knowing what you are doing. There is a real risk of fire and/or explosion so precautions must be taken.

Wow. That looks like more work than I would be willing to do. That will give me a motivation to make sure maintain my batteries correctly while storing them.

Thanks for posting!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme