Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Bay Area

His415

Join
Jul 12, 2017
hi everyone from the Bay Area. We can use this thread to organize. Perhaps it's best to start with roll call!

Half Moon Bay Here

Me too! After we get some more of the Bay Area representin, we should talk about a meet up!

Giving this a little bumpity bump for any new bay area members who joined.

San Leandro here. Any suggestions for places to fly in the east bay?

Harry from Castro Valley checking in. I have had my Spark for about a month so am still learning how to fly it...

Harry from Castro Valley checking in. I have had my Spark for about a month so am still learning how to fly it...
Hey Harry, I'm also from Castro Valley. And also still learning the spark. My biggest challenge has been remembering where all the settings are on the app. Where have you been flying around town?

I've been flying a lot in different parts of Knowland Park, just into Oakland. Not too far from Castro Valley.

Anyone hit Lake Chabot yet? A quick google of EBRPD and Drones brings up that they are illegal to fly in any EBRPD parks. This almost seems like a dying hobby as they are a lot of restrictions.

Yeah, so EBRPD has an old rule from the RC airplane era that bans operation of aircraft in the parks. Around 2014 they issued a press release saying it applies to drones. What's not clear to me is what operation of drones in the parks means exactly, and if all the YouTube videos I see of people flying in while standing across the street mean they're being clever legally speaking or if they're just not getting caught. :) i.e. to what extent does the park district control its airspace or do they not have jurisdiction.

If you do some searching some cities (Dublin) and other entities (HARD) have similar rules. Some (San Leandro, Oakland, San Francisco) don't, although in the city you have to be careful because the feds still own a lot of the park areas. But Golden Gate Park is a city park and seems to be legal...

PS I have it on my to do list to shoot Lake Chabot but I mean more like "View of Lake Chabot" not trying to overfly it or whatever.

892B44E9-7FCA-4F4E-AA99-076C747C48B9.jpeg B4779ED6-72D1-4CAF-8236-C8ECC4CE0E45.jpeg
Hey Harry, I'm also from Castro Valley. And also still learning the spark. My biggest challenge has been remembering where all the settings are on the app. Where have you been flying around town?
Hello, I have been flying around my house and also at Canyon school’s football field. There is a discussion here about flying at Lake Chabot and I did that until the ranger came by and told me about the regulation.
One different place I fly is in an old hangar. Here are a couple of photos from that place. The problem there is that the Spark has an altitude limit of around 20 feet if it can’t get a GPS signal. My Sky Viper drone will fly right up into the ceiling...

Reactions: Sparkie
So the ranger just gave you a friendly heads up? That's better than a gazillion dollar ticket...

I'm curious where at lake chabot did you fly? I was thinking of hiking in on either side and head way back to get some video. I have also thought of heading up chabot ridge where we walk our dogs and get some footage.

Last edited:
View attachment 2553 View attachment 2552
Hello, I have been flying around my house and also at Canyon school’s football field. There is a discussion here about flying at Lake Chabot and I did that until the ranger came by and told me about the regulation.
One different place I fly is in an old hangar. Here are a couple of photos from that place. The problem there is that the Spark has an altitude limit of around 20 feet if it can’t get a GPS signal. My Sky Viper drone will fly right up into the ceiling...
What regulation, can't fly in Parks?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme