Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Bought a Spark and need some help

Here’s a question: do DJI goggles violate the FAA rule requiring VLOS? (Note the wording, simple LOS does not meet the definition. Thoughts?

Yep.

You must keep your drone within sight. Alternatively, if you use First Person View or similar technology, you must have a visual observer always keep your aircraft within unaided sight (for example, no binoculars). Neither you nor a visual observer can be responsible for more than one unmanned aircraft operation at a time.

Still need a spotter because you, the PIC, don't have a visual line of site of the Spark.

You could purchase these, the Epson BT 300 glasses and maintain VLOS while having a heads up display.

They are not cheap but look cool.

Reactions: Tom Bennett
The controller connects to the spark via a linking process and the bar code you read on the Go app is ok the bottom of the controller. You will need the password which is there also or it might be the 12341234 initial password

Here’s a question: do DJI goggles violate the FAA rule requiring VLOS? (Note the wording, simple LOS does not meet the definition. Thoughts?

Here is the pertinent section of the FAA regulation:

"§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.
(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight..."

It's pretty clear reading the above that you can only wear eyeglasses (or contact lenses) to help you see the drone. That would exclude FPV goggles, binoculars and anything else between your eyes and the aircraft. It also says that a second observer doesn't excuse the pilot from his VLOS obligation.

It's a rule ignored by hobbyists who wear DJI Goggles -- but it's a rule nontheless.

Goggles are not ideal for spark.
They can only be connected via an otg cable, and not wirelessly.
They cannot control Spark's gimbal, also, and the video is low resolution.

As for legality of goggles usage, depends on how everyone understands "VLOS".
All of us, are flying, looking from time to time on our screen. It's not illegal, and it doesn't violate VLOS rule.
Who can tell, how MUCH looking on screen, violates the VLOS rule?
It's the same with goggles. You can fly VLOS, looking in your goggles from time to time.

It's the same with goggles. You can fly VLOS, looking in your goggles from time to time.

The DJI goggles could work like a welders mask since they are hinged.

Fly VLOS and do the head flip thing to swing it down, then check the screen, and then flip back up.

One could get whiplash and wear the hinges out.?

The DJI goggles could work like a welders mask since they are hinged.

Fly VLOS and do the head flip thing to swing it down, then check the screen, and then flip back up.

One could get whiplash and wear the hinges out.[emoji16]
Yep!

Goggles are not ideal for spark.
They can only be connected via an otg cable, and not wirelessly.
They cannot control Spark's gimbal, also, and the video is low resolution.

As for legality of goggles usage, depends on how everyone understands "VLOS".
All of us, are flying, looking from time to time on our screen. It's not illegal, and it doesn't violate VLOS rule.
Who can tell, how MUCH looking on screen, violates the VLOS rule?

You ask... "Who can tell you how much use of... FPV Goggles is illegal?" The FAA of course!

The FAA's exact wording in the regulation is unaided and unobscured Visual Line Of Sight "throughout the entire flight" [see post 23 above]

You can ignore the rule -- that's your decision -- but you can't reinterpret it to your wishes. Like many laws it's difficult to enforce and it's up to your whether to comply.

I had bought a Mavic last year and it came with this hard Pelican case with inserts made for the Mavic, I'm assuming I can get inserts made for the Spark?? And I kayak a lot, would this case float? It looks very well made, if not any recommendations on a good case that will float?

Here is a site that has replacement foam for the Pelican cases. It's pull and pluck foam to get close to what you want to store.

Here is a site for the Spark insert.

As far as floating, weigh everything you want to put in the case, put the equivalent weight in the box and give it a test float in a tub of water.

That way if it does sink or leak, the Spark won't be damaged.

Thanks and good idea. And when I am asking about floating i wouldn't this keep it in the water all the time, it would be just the times I may flip over and if it was in the water briefly I would want it to float

Last edited:
There's always pool noodles. ?

Those Pelican cases are the biggest and bulkiest designs. Very heavy too. They basically turn a tiny Spark into a suitcase. Most kayaks are slender and shallow with minimal storage. I got a Pelican case but it lives in my closet now.

When I kayak I put my small sling bag inside a slightly larger waterproof backpack. I tie it to the kayak so it can't float away or get lost if i capsize. It is light and holds enough air so it floats (at least for a while).

It passed the bathtub test and also the (unintentional) river test!

You ask... "Who can tell you how much use of... FPV Goggles is illegal?" The FAA of course!

The FAA's exact wording in the regulation is unaided and unobscured Visual Line Of Sight "throughout the entire flight" [see post 23 above]

You can ignore the rule -- that's your decision -- but you can't reinterpret it to your wishes. Like many laws it's difficult to enforce and it's up to your whether to comply.

First of all, I don't interpret VLOS rule to my wishes.
In MavicPilots forum, you can find written answers of FAA representatives, who explain that it's impossible to fly a camera drone, without looking from time to time on your screen.

But I am curious if there is ONE drone operator in the world, who doesn't look on his screen, for shooting videos or photos, change parameters, checking errors, and changing flight modes.

I don't live in US, but I can say that flying without looking at your device at all (looking always at your drone), is dangerous (and not logical).

First of all, I don't interpret VLOS rule to my wishes.
In MavicPilots forum, you can find written answers of FAA representatives, who explain that it's impossible to fly a camera drone, without looking from time to time on your screen.

But I am curious if there is ONE drone operator in the world, who doesn't look on his screen, for shooting videos or photos, change parameters, checking errors, and changing flight modes.

I don't live in US, but I can say that flying without looking at your device at all (looking always at your drone), is dangerous (and not logical).

No worries. My comments were directed exclusively at pilots in the United States -- that's the only place that the FAA rules apply.

FAA regs are very specific but difficult to enforce. The FAA's manpower is spread thin with bigger issues: there is a second government shutdown looming, no FAA chief administrator for 1+ years and now the Boeing 737 Max grounding is massive problem.

Regs have been modified several times in the last year and more big changes to come. There's a national referendum scheduled in June that is expected to propose sweeping updates... Stay tuned [but only if you are flying in US]. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme