Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

brief loss of strong GPS

bmarlowe

Join
Dec 21, 2017
Loc
United States
In addition to my battery issue today (in another thread), I had another issue I want to ask about. I had 17 GPS satellites and all 5 signal strength bars on - this suddenly went to none and I got the the approprate screen warnings (...IMU encounters heading exception,...weak GPS signal). I see yaw errors for a few seconds in the flight data. This lasted for a few seconds, then GPS came back.

I was flying at an official AMA flying field in a forest preserve, and I was the only one there. What would cause such a sudden loss of strong GPS?

I should add that I was flying in sport mode for the first time.

11828FE9-0F1F-4286-A623-6FC493C8B133.png It’s easy to speculate, and some might do that but it’s one of those times where you’re at a loss. I saw a youtube video with exactly the same issue. I got a screenshot for reference to see if it ever happened to me.
I believe it to be a combination of IMU/ Compass error.
It was a young lady flying with plenty of skill and experience. She also the same, chugging along with no issues, when all of a sudden it gave her this error and started flying erratic. Luckily she did not panic but she landed in the water, had no choice. I believe she had it replaced thru DJI.

Last edited:
Thats a scary site right there. One can only hope that it doesnt happen to them.

In addition to my battery issue today (in another thread), I had another issue I want to ask about. I had 17 GPS satellites and all 5 signal strength bars on - this suddenly went to none and I got the the approprate screen warnings (...IMU encounters heading exception,...weak GPS signal). I see yaw errors for a few seconds in the flight data. This lasted for a few seconds, then GPS came back.

I was flying at an official AMA flying field in a forest preserve, and I was the only one there. What would cause such a sudden loss of strong GPS?

I should add that I was flying in sport mode for the first time.
I get weak GPS warning quite frequently and start to panic but it , so far, has reconnected, no crazy actions from drone/spark itself. I have ordered one of those Amazon $8. Antenna boosters, with gold mirror like front, and ive used it, and it has helped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none