Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Bristol, Purdown

We‘re fine thanks although weather has gone back to how it is usually, grey, windy and spitting with rain. And yours?

We had a very dry spring so far, blustery, and only in the past week we've had any significant rains... think "dustbowl"... the wife's vegetable garden is at risk again this year, certainly its been a challenge to grow certain things the past couple of years... seems to be a cyclical thing. As for that nasty virus, our area has had an upswing lately... but we are very remote most of the time, and the wife and I are both double vaccinated now... so hope for the best. Most everyone is still masking in town too. I am ready to get out and start flying the wilderness again, just got to pick the right day, its really been very windy lately, and even for the Mavic Air 2.... I like to fly up at 400 feet, so I have to be vigilant of the gust factors up there.
We‘re fine thanks although weather has gone back to how it is usually, grey, windy and spitting with rain. And yours?W

Same conditions here except we are in the City so a lot of people around but we do have some lovely countryside nearby Do hope you get some rain for the veg patch. Afraid our veg patch is the local supermarket. If it is not too long an explanation can I ask you and indeed anyone else on the Forum how/where you store your video footage shot with the drone/s. Mine is just held on my Mac where it takes up storage space once I’ve used it and whilst I have a 2TB memory on my Mac it can’t be sensible to have it there. Suspect you all have separate memory banks which I could of course get. Would be really grateful for some pointers but do forget I’m an oldie!!

Nice ones twickers, great color! ? Just had Sparky up in sport mode myself, can still make me grin as well! :)
Great to hear you’re up again. Always look forward to your films/stills. As I said in my post the two pics were so dark and grey I just had to lift the detail and colour (to the detriment of the sky but hey ho). I am now the proud owner of a MA2 FMCombo so can’t wait to wiz around at 40mph! Will have a go at getting the new CAA A2 Certificate of Competency which is available here and am aiming to get that done before breaking out the Mavic. I’m not supposed to have the new bird until our Wedding Anniversary next month and I am doing well in resisting the temptation!

Gorgeous country pics twickers. Happy to hear you had some flying weather. I have yet to fly in sports mode. Tough for me to get to wide open spaces and I don't trust my flying skills in tight quarters. Thanks for the look.

Great to hear you’re up again. Always look forward to your films/stills. As I said in my post the two pics were so dark and grey I just had to lift the detail and colour (to the detriment of the sky but hey ho). I am now the proud owner of a MA2 FMCombo so can’t wait to wiz around at 40mph! Will have a go at getting the new CAA A2 Certificate of Competency which is available here and am aiming to get that done before breaking out the Mavic. I’m not supposed to have the new bird until our Wedding Anniversary next month and I am doing well in resisting the temptation!
Congrats twickers!! ? ? That's awesome news, very happy for you! If your wife is anything like mine she'll be watching you like a hawk! ?

• Haha
Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
If it is not too long an explanation can I ask you and indeed anyone else on the Forum how/where you store your video footage shot with the drone/s. Mine is just held on my Mac where it takes up storage space once I’ve used it and whilst I have a 2TB memory on my Mac it can’t be sensible to have it there. Suspect you all have separate memory banks which I could of course get. Would be really grateful for some pointers but do forget I’m an oldie!!

We are all becoming oldies, the alternative will ground you (haha, terrible pun)!!! I believe external hard disk drives (USB) are pretty inexpensive these days, I would suggest getting a few 2TB drives rather than getting one really large capacity... I have a variety of one TB, two and even 4TB which I use to back things up... Another option for cheap archiving is getting a 128 or 256GB flash drive (thumb drive) or whatever you want to call it. Copy only your finished projects onto one of those and store it someplace safe. Cheers.

And congrats on joining the Mavic Air 2 club.... you'll love it.

If it is not too long an explanation can I ask you and indeed anyone else on the Forum how/where you store your video footage shot with the drone/s. Mine is just held on my Mac where it takes up storage space once I’ve used it and whilst I have a 2TB memory on my Mac it can’t be sensible to have it there. Suspect you all have separate memory banks which I could of course get. Would be really grateful for some pointers but do forget I’m an oldie!!

We are all becoming oldies, the alternative will ground you (haha, terrible pun)!!! I believe external hard disk drives (USB) are pretty inexpensive these days, I would suggest getting a few 2TB drives rather than getting one really large capacity... I have a variety of one TB, two and even 4TB which I use to back things up... Another option for cheap archiving is getting a 128 or 256GB flash drive (thumb drive) or whatever you want to call it. Copy only your finished projects onto one of those and store it someplace safe. Cheers.

And congrats on joining the Mavic Air 2 club.... you'll love it.
Hi Robin and thanks for coming back to me. This is very helpful and I do have a big old external drive already. However I have the original footage too (in addition to the finished films) and I won’t want to keep that. If I get rid of that will the finished films be unaffected? I sort of thought that if the original footage goes so do the finished films as these draw upon the original footage-or are the finished films stand alones? I do hope that makes sense!

Hi Robin and thanks for coming back to me. This is very helpful and I do have a big old external drive already. However I have the original footage too (in addition to the finished films) and I won’t want to keep that. If I get rid of that will the finished films be unaffected? I sort of thought that if the original footage goes so do the finished films as these draw upon the original footage-or are the finished films stand alones? I do hope that makes sense!
One you've outputted your final .mov or mp4 file, there is no link to the source files... that would be true for all editors .... if you used, for example, Final Cut Pro X like I do... if you re-open an old project and you've already deleted the original files which came from the drone, then yes, the project will not work... but normally, you would output the final product before deleting those source files.. so that's basically the very end of the process. Think of it like baking a cake... you mix the ingredients, then bake, then the ingredients are essentially gone, and you have your cake, and eat it too! lol

I kept all my source files for a while, but then I realized that unless I was going to come back some day and re-process/use them in a new production, there was little use in keeping them and eating up disk space (cake is better ;)). The more you fly the more it builds up... so I made that decision a while back. I have over 400 flights so far. I also delete all the project files as they are a huge space eater.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: RotorWash
One you've outputted your final .mov or mp4 file, there is no link to the source files... that would be true for all editors .... if you used, for example, Final Cut Pro X like I do... if you re-open an old project and you've already deleted the original files which came from the drone, then yes, the project will not work... but normally, you would output the final product before deleting those source files.. so that's basically the very end of the process. Think of it like baking a cake... you mix the ingredients, then bake, then the ingredients are essentially gone, and you have your cake, and eat it too! lol

I kept all my source files for a while, but then I realized that unless I was going to come back some day and re-process/use them in a new production, there was little use in keeping them and eating up disk space (cake is better ;)). The more you fly the more it builds up... so I made that decision a while back. I have over 400 flights so far. I also delete all the project files as they are a huge space eater.

Hope this helps.
It absolutely does and I am only glad I was able to describe the “challenge” in a way that you understood! My finished films, done in iMovie on my Mac, are all MP4s in my Movie file so from what you say they are sacrosanct and I am also increasingly sticking them on You Tube. I think I will probably start to delete the original footage to save space-I can’t think I will ever revisit them. Again thank you.

It absolutely does and I am only glad I was able to describe the “challenge” in a way that you understood! My finished films, done in iMovie on my Mac, are all MP4s in my Movie file so from what you say they are sacrosanct and I am also increasingly sticking them on You Tube. I think I will probably start to delete the original footage to save space-I can’t think I will ever revisit them. Again thank you.
My pleasure!

Reactions: twickers14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe