Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

BUMMER

John.H

Join
Dec 10, 2017
Loc
Flower Mound, Tx
Taking a Vacation next week to Mackinac Island and Niagara Falls. Did my research and it looks like I can’t fly near the falls, and on top of that I can’t fly at all in Canada without a Part 107. I haven’t checked into Mackinac Island. BUMMER

Yes, I so that. My Sparky is going to stay in the hanger on this trip. ? I have been really slow in studying for my part 107. If I had that I could of flown In Canada ??. Oh well

Yes, I so that. My Sparky is going to stay in the hanger on this trip. ? I have been really slow in studying for my part 107. If I had that I could of flown In Canada ??. Oh well

Before Canada changed its drone laws this year, apparently you could. I've seen videos from the Canadian side in the past and wondered if it was legal. I guess it was back then.

Are you flying or driving to your destinations?

If driving (Heck of a drive btw), take the Spark with you because you never know what you're going to see and think, Darn. Should have brought the Spark.

I checked my AIRMAP app and Mackinac City may be drone friendly?

Screenshot_20190626-142437~2.png

I know it's a State Park, and probably can't fly on the west side of I-75 because that is where the Fort is.

But on the east side of I-75, it's pretty much open area that may allow you to fly and capture images of the Mackinac Bridge, which is a marvel in itself.

I found this thread from the Mavic Pilots Forum and the drone laws may very from each State Park?

Maybe take the Spark and get lucky? :)

I did look at AirMap. Mackinac Island indicating about 95% yellow. But Mackanic City indicating good. We are flying to Chicago and renting a car .

Decisions decisions. :)

Every Federal park in Canada, is a no fly zone. Even a forest , a old fort. and Niagara Falls. The falls would be tricky anyway, (I live 45 Minutes from them ). There is a lot of water in the air. Rainbows all the time.

It sucks my Dad lives a 1/2 block from a old Fort. and I cant do a fly over because its a Federal park :(

I actually have a litchi mission set for this:

remove the txt and import
This path stays out of the state and national parks
And above all, runs right up to but not beyond the US Canada border.10557

Attachments

• Niagra Falls.txt
    514 bytes · Views: 7
Reactions: Hotwire
Actually that's Perfect. I stays on The US Side, and obeys US laws. :) Is it OK to fly over the falls in the us?

Well, not EXACTLY over the falls.
You will cross into Canadian territory if you do.
But from a Virtual Litchi Mission simulator, the angle will be perfect.

Thanks for all of your input. I will keep the Spark home for this trip. Plus I don’t have experience flying with Litchi and on that simulator route you have shown, I don’t get that kind of range. (2.7 miles)
Thanks again,
John

Thanks for all of your input. I will keep the Spark home for this trip. Plus I don’t have experience flying with Litchi and on that simulator route you have shown, I don’t get that kind of range. (2.7 miles)
Thanks again,
John

Sadness - you need to try Litchi for future trips.
You have a lot more range than you think because the Spark becomes autonomous - flies with internal programming from Litchi.
Loads the flight plan to the Spark and when it loses connection, it continues with the mission:

But you need more time than a week to build up confidence.
That video is combined efforts and nerves from 3 years flying autonomous missions.
Just offered the info because I had no idea what experience you have.

In your shoes, I would go up 300 at the launch point I indicated and pan around slowly in Tripod mode, look around.

Maybe a few pano pics up there.
Should be able to see something from there.

Reactions: Tglass0000
I will be bringing my Nikon DSLR and my Go Pro 6. But no Aerial Photography.

Since you are going to Mackinac Island, be sure to board the Shepler"s Ferry Service in Mackinaw City to get to the Island. This route will allow a good panorama photo op of the Mackinaw Bridge as you cruise across the Straits of Mackinac.

As you are moving across, imagine all off that water frozen solid except through the middle when the Coast Guard ice breakers clear a channel to keep the shipping lanes open in the winter months.

It's worth the toll to cross the bridge as it's a five mile span across the water and gives you good views of the water below.

The left hand lane of the bridge are steel grates that you can look through as you drive in the right lane at 200 feet above the water. :oops:

Reactions: pmshop
Sadness - you need to try Litchi for future trips.
You have a lot more range than you think because the Spark becomes autonomous - flies with internal programming from Litchi.
Loads the flight plan to the Spark and when it loses connection, it continues with the mission:

But you need more time than a week to build up confidence.
That video is combined efforts and nerves from 3 years flying autonomous missions.
Just offered the info because I had no idea what experience you have.

In your shoes, I would go up 300 at the launch point I indicated and pan around slowly in Tripod mode, look around.

Maybe a few pano pics up there.
Should be able to see something from there.

Thank you PM. Good Info. I will check into litchi when I get back

Reactions: pmshop
Since you are going to Mackinac Island, be sure to board the Shepler"s Ferry Service in Mackinaw City to get to the Island. This route will allow a good panorama photo op of the Mackinaw Bridge as you cruise across the Straits of Mackinac.

As you are moving across, imagine all off that water frozen solid except through the middle when the Coast Guard ice breakers clear a channel to keep the shipping lanes open in the winter months.

It's worth the toll to cross the bridge as it's a five mile span across the water and gives you good views of the water below.

The left hand lane of the bridge are steel grates that you can look through as you drive in the right lane at 200 feet above the water. :oops:

Thank you 317. I will write that down on my note pad.

Taking a Vacation next week to Mackinac Island and Niagara Falls. Did my research and it looks like I can’t fly near the falls, and on top of that I can’t fly at all in Canada without a Part 107. I haven’t checked into Mackinac Island. BUMMER
just take it, I am sure there will be times when you'd be fine if you fly stealth mode :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh