Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can I Launch from aluminum boat?

Old Man Grizz

Join
Mar 10, 2018
Good Morning Folks,
As a recently retired old guy, that really Loves flying my Spark and Pro Platinum, I came up with an idea:
I want to build a “Landing Platform” on my 14 ft. Aluminum Boat to launch my drones from the water. How high from the deck would it have to be to avoid interference?
Do you think it would work at all??
Just thinking over my cup of coffee!!
Thanks for All Your Help Always!!
Old Man Grizz

The Aluminum shouldn't effect the compass as it is a non magnetic metal.

I'm not sure of the radio frequency bouncing off but would think it would be ok.

Do a test flight while the boat is out of the water if applicable. The steel trailer may effect it if one is used?

Good luck:).

I just remembered that I have landed, launched, and flew all around my 4 place enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer with no problems so you might be good to go.

I just remembered that I have landed, launched, and flew all around my 4 place enclosed aluminum snowmobile trailer with no problems so you might be good to go.
That’s Great!
I am restoring a 1959 Starcraft, and I’m planning on making a removable landing area on it.
A lot of bayous and slow rivers around here and I thought there may be some awesome picture opportunities!
I will definitely try it in the yard before I proceed!!!
Thanks Folks!!
Fly Safely,
Old Man Grizz

Reactions: KevTN and ZPFunk
Good Morning Folks,
As a recently retired old guy, that really Loves flying my Spark and Pro Platinum, I came up with an idea:
I want to build a “Landing Platform” on my 14 ft. Aluminum Boat to launch my drones from the water. How high from the deck would it have to be to avoid interference?
Old Man Grizz
Hello, I am a new Spark owner In Holland, Mi and i am taking a houseboat trip this summer and I need to make my Spark unsinkable, for obvious reasons. Do you plan on making yours unsinkable? If so, how?

Thanks
LarryLee

Hello, I am a new Spark owner In Holland, Mi and i am taking a houseboat trip this summer and I need to make my Spark unsinkable, for obvious reasons. Do you plan on making yours unsinkable? If so, how?

Thanks
LarryLee

Maybe one of these will work?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland.
Welcome to the Forum, LarryLee.

Reactions: luca andrea

Thanks
LarryLee

Good Morning LarryLee!
I live in Coopersville!! Not very far from You :)
Maybe we could get together and fly together sometime if you like.
I practice at Eastmanville Farm, right by the Grand River. Let me know if you are interested.
Fly Safe!!
Old Man Grizz

i launch mine off the hood of my ranger ptck up and it returns to the hood of my pickup i would think you should not have any trouble especially with a platform you might have to assistit in the landing

i take my drone off of a utv's trunk ( right above the electronics and motor ) without any issues so you would be good to go

My only thought about launching from a boat is the boat will move a bit even if anchored.
Yeah, definitely hand launch. I've launched my P3A from a large aluminum boat, and even its relatively gentle movements made takeoff very interesting.

OP: just keep in mind that RTH will be allmost useless on a boat. If you drift, your home point becomes water.

You could increase the altitude your RTH is set to.

This would slow the time the Spark returns to its home point, giving you more time to correct it. Of course there are some drawbacks to this in some situations which would work against you and possibly lead to a different disaster.

I think your best bet is flotation devices. As long as your water is still should go pretty well.

loads of stuff on flotation for Spark on YouTube. This is my version when I go fishing:-

Good Morning Folks,
Old Man Grizz

Hi I launch from the back of the ute no issues.

Set your home point to the controller. It will update as you float around. But I still manually RTH. I launch from the front casting deck on an aluminum boat, no problem.

Last edited:
I do, but I have problems IF the boat motor is running. I have to turn off the boat motor, then launch - my outboard motor causes way to much interference. My 17' Aluminum Boat causes no problems by itself.

Beware of your bilge pumps! My 25 ft boat has two bilge pumps with powerful magnets. The compass in the quadcopters goes crazy within about 6 feet of the bilge pump located below the deck. I have to move the copter to the top of the transom to be able to take off! I use a rubber mat to keep the quadcopter from slipping off into the water.
You may want to use a tablet or phone with a built in gps, so that you can change your home point to your current location using the dji Go 4 app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast