Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Compass errors during cold weather flights. -4 and below.

Havgapet

Join
Mar 9, 2018
Hello! I have been having quite consistent compass errors and done several calibrations of both imu and compass. Neither seem to remedy the problem in the long run. Ofc they have been done in wide open fields with no metal or other devices nearby. I even wear sweatpants to have it buttons free for the calibration.
It flies fine for most of the time in regular gps mode, although drops out from time to time on very random locations, and the second, and I really mean second (!) I go into sports it goes mad and has compass error, then starts to drift rapidly. A few times due to wind, sometimes just drifting. And the thing moves crazy fast.
I have read other people have been using sports mode like mad during the cold, and not have any issues.

Are compass errors a common problem in cold weather?
Should I send the drone in?

Pilot living in Tromsø, Norway. Yes its cold, yes we have northern lights.

Pilot living in Tromsø, Norway. Yes its cold, yes we have northern lights.

Hello from the Mid-west, USA.

The only northern lights we have are the shimmering lights from the "big city".

That may be the problem you are experiencing and not so much of the cold.

I checked out this site that shows the solar activity.

A Kp index of 3 or lower is ideal but anything higher could play havoc on the Spark affecting the GPS and compass.

Northern Light activity can spike up to 9 at times.

A good app to have is UAV forecast available in the app stores.
It's a one stop shop for checking flight conditions.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Thanks for the info. Was not aware they could actually make a difference. Go figure! It flew fine just now, even in sport. App gave me 1 warning of atti mode for about 0.5 sec, but never noticed it actually dropping gps or loosing itself. Will do a testflight during a high kp and see what happens.

Will do a testflight during a high kp and see what happens.
The Kp index has no effect on the Spark. If you're not running the latest firmware, try updating to the latest version.

Hello I’m up in Alaska, and my spark is doing the exact same thing as yours. Works fine and GPS mode. Switch to sport mode and manipulate the bird very gently and slowly no problem.
But if you are aggressive in anyway, as soon as you throttle back, very serious Compass and IMU failure
I have purposely tested this in totally open areas with some altitude and full battery. Temperatures are below recommended. However I fly my Mavic pro and P4pro all the time in extreme cold. I do make sure everything is very warm before take off. Same way with the Spark. I too have considered sending my Spark in for evaluation to DJI. As I do have the Care Refresh. thanks for posting your concern, at least I know I’m not the only one with this problem. Thanks Rod in Alaska USA

Hello Rod.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Curious, was GPS strong thru-out? Any loss of satellite coverage at all? Because ATTI was mentioned.

GPS was consistent during flight, with 12 to 20 Satellites showing up. That is until switching to sport mode flying aggressive in sport mode would cause the problem.
As soon as I throttled back from aggressive operation of the Spark, It would start to experience compass and IMU total failure for approximately 120-180 seconds .
During this time it would drift slow, or very erratic and fast in any direction.
In GPS mode I could be aggressive without any adverse condition. In sport mode as long as I was very gentle it would also operate fine.
It was cold when it failed in sport mode. As I have not flown in warmer temperatures yet.
Thanks Rod from Alaska checking in.

The height seems to make no difference. I’ve done extensive testing. I believe that this particular Spark has a problem. I am well experienced with Cold weather. I have 2 Mavic pro’s , 1 Phantom 4pro and a Spark. The Mavic’s do the best in the cold. However I have installed 1/8 of an inch neopreme rubber on my P4pro, similar to
Home And I can fly in extreme cold -10° Fahrenheit ambient, without any problems. As long as everything is warm at take off. I think I’ll be sending this bird in for a check up.
Good luck I hope this helps.
Rod in Alaska.

Thanks, any information helps others and myself. Let us know if you would, what DJI finds out to be the problem.
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar