Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connect RC controller for dummies

So anyway, what is/are the advantage(s) of using a OTG cable?

what is/are the advantage(s) of using a OTG cable?
It eliminates possible Wi-Fi interference between the remote controller and mobile device.

To be clear: OTG "works" on iOS but is not and never has been supported by DJI for Spark. You're definitely on your own if you have a mishap and DJI blames it on you using an OTG cable.

Ok, so you're making a play on words.

Ok, so you're making a play on words.

I'm not playing on words, I'm calling out the difference. "Works" means just that, "supported" means if something goes wrong while doing it that shouldn't have, DJI will investigate and cover any repairs needed under warranty.

Reactions: jay1028
Attention: All pilots,

I wanted to know how far can Spark travels with just remote controller. Meaning not connected to phone/tablet wifi. Somehow I cannot get my spark to say fly 200 feet from my position. Is this normal? Thanks for any info.

NOTE: When I wanted to start a new post, I had to add participant. Can't I just post a questions? Thanks again.

Attention: All pilots,

I wanted to know how far can Spark travels with just remote controller. Meaning not connected to phone/tablet wifi. Somehow I cannot get my spark to say fly 200 feet from my position. Is this normal? Thanks for any info.

NOTE: When I wanted to start a new post, I had to add participant. Can't I just post a questions? Thanks again.

Why would you want to fly without a device?

You're taking a big chance of losing it without telemetry to guide you.

Compass and IMU calibrated okay?

I know you can probably see the Spark when flying but do you know how many satellites you have, WiFi strength, etc.?

Minimum, maximum, somewhere in between?

Probably a reason why you can only go 200 feet.

Reactions: sinaus
Thank you for the reply. Very good point. I wanted to have quick flight and yes I had forgotten there is a danger of flying away. Oh by the way I know it does have GPS locked to home point as it was flashing green slowly. So if it did lose signal will it fly back to to home?

I'm not playing on words, I'm calling out the difference. "Works" means just that, "supported" means if something goes wrong while doing it that shouldn't have, DJI will investigate and cover any repairs needed under warranty.

Yeah you were. The conversation has meant iOS devices "work" with OTG and we've been exchanging it for "support". Your iOS device does "support" OTG even though we know DJI doesn't officially "support" OTG.

So with the latest firmware update is OTG actually supported, or just "works"?

I don't use an iOS device, but from what I've seen around here and other forums, is that OTG on iOS in the latest Go 4 app, "works". Whereas on Android, the latest app has the ability removed. You can have an iOS device that works with (supports) OTG, without DJI officially saying to use it.

From what’s coming in, I’ll probably reverse Spark/Controller sequence. Had never thought about a full power flyaway. Guess I also better keep an eye on my fingers during Spark power up.
Out of habit from my Phantom 2 Vision I turn on the controller first and when powering down I turn off the drone first.
What would be funny was if I powered up the controller first and IT flew away.

I always power up the drone first then controller and then connect. If you power the RC first you cannot connect to the drone until you power up the drone. It could still fly away until you connect if the drone was so inclined. At any rate, 63 flights and no flyaways on startup.

Last edited:
I thought it was a no no to start the aircraft first, without a way to control it if it goes full power?

That’s a hold over from RC Planes and a lot of RC Toys. The receivers in these devices won’t respond properly unless the transmitter is turned on first.

The newer DJI devices are ‘smart’ enough to not do anything until locked to the proper controller.

This is what works for me:

Turn on Spark.
Turn on Controller.
Wait for controller to connect. (Green LED)
Open Setting on Phone and make sure WIFI connects.
Close Setting.
Start Go 4 App.
Check Go 4 Setting.
Fly.

When I change batteries, I only power down the Spark. I leave the controller and phone and Go 4 App powered up. The screen on the App freezes and shows disconnected, but as soon as I connect the new battery and power up, everything connects within about three or four seconds, and I’m good to go.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef