Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connecting RC with OTG cable

Wingman8209

Join
Dec 30, 2018
I apologize for yet another thread on wifi/RC/OTG cables but I'm thoroughly confused right now. I've spent the last hour reading all kinds of posts on the subject and I just seem to see contradictions. So I have a new Spark. All updates have been done. Samsung S9+ with the latest Android version. What steps should I be following to get everything connected so I can fly the Spark using the RC and an OTG cable (this one came with the Spark).

I've used my Spark and RC with both a Note 8 and a generic 6" Android tablet (effectively a repurposed TV remote). The former is USB-C, the latter micro-USB. I've found that the order of turning on, physical connection and starting of the app really have no bearing on success.

I get reliable, repeatable results with the following steps.
  1. I generally start with the tablet/phone turned on, unlocked, and plugged into the RC using the OTG cable.
  2. I then turn the RC on. This automatically causes the DJI GO 4 app to load on the tablet.
  3. I wait for the 'rc connected' indicator, then turn on the Spark.
  4. Once the Spark connects, I tap "Go Fly."
  5. I Wait for GPS lock, and then
  6. I fly ...
The steps are the same with my Note 8, except that I use a USB-C OTG cable. The tablet is running Marshmallow (Android 6) and the Note 8 is running Nougat (Android 7).

Reactions: MarkBarnes
I've used my Spark and RC with both a Note 8 and a generic 6" Android tablet (effectively a repurposed TV remote). The former is USB-C, the latter micro-USB. I've found that the order of turning on, physical connection and starting of the app really have no bearing on success.

1. I generally start with the tablet/phone turned on, unlocked, and plugged into the RC using the OTG cable.
  2. I then turn the RC on. This automatically causes the DJI GO 4 app to load on the tablet.
  6. I fly ...
The steps are the same with my Note 8, except that I use a USB-C OTG cable. The tablet is running Marshmallow (Android 6) and the Note 8 is running Nougat (Android 7).

RE: number 4. Once the Spark connects to ??????? the phones wifi ???? Not sure what it's supposed to connect to.

4. Once the Spark connects to the RC. You'll see the display on the phone change from "rc connected" to "connected" which means that the Spark is now connected to the remote control. And of course the remote control is connected to your phone via the OTG cable (#3). You can actually turn off the wi-fi on your phone at this point and you'll still be able to fly.

4. Once the Spark connects to the RC. You'll see the display on the phone change from "rc connected" to "connected" which means that the Spark is now connected to the remote control. And of course the remote control is connected to your phone via the OTG cable (#3). You can actually turn off the wi-fi on your phone at this point and you'll still be able to fly.

Thanks. So the Spark connects to the phones Wifi. The RC connects to the Spark via Wifi and is just hard wired to the phone.

I spent several hours on Monday working out this process. It's good to see that I eventually did it correctly.

Thanks. So the Spark connects to the phones Wifi. The RC connects to the Spark via Wifi and is just hard wired to the phone.

Not quite. These are the connection options:

Flying Without a Remote Control (RC)

Phone connects directly to the Spark's wi-fi hotspot and the "virtual joysticks" in the DJI GO 4 app are used to manually control the drone.

Flying With a Remote Control

Option 1: Without OTG cable - Phone connects to the RC's hotspot via wi-fi, RC connects to drone via 5.8GHz ISM band (not wi-fi)
Option 2: With OTG cable - Phone is connected to RC via OTG cable (not wi-fi), RC connects to drone via 5.8GHz ISM band (not wi-fi)

So when using the RC, there's no wi-fi connection between the Spark and phone (or RC). And the only time a wi-fi connection is made from the phone is when you connect to the RC without an OTG cable.

Does that help?

Reactions: Spark 317

Phone connects directly to the Spark's wi-fi hotspot and the "virtual joysticks" in the DJI GO 4 app are used to manually control the drone.

Option 1: Without OTG cable - Phone connects to the RC's hotspot via wi-fi, RC connects to drone via 5.8GHz ISM band (not wi-fi)
Option 2: With OTG cable - Phone is connected to RC via OTG cable (not wi-fi), RC connects to drone via 5.8GHz ISM band (not wi-fi)

So when using the RC, there's no wi-fi connection between the Spark and phone (or RC). And the only time a wi-fi connection is made from the phone is when you connect to the RC without an OTG cable.

Does that help?

Thanks. I'll try it when I get home. I was trying so many things yesterday I'm not sure what worked and what didn't. Only that I could not get a green light on the RC. I'm sure it's the sequence that's messing me up so I need to try again. I'll let you know. Thanks for the explanations.

Steve

Does that help?

Just one more clarification if you would. The only connection I'm going to make is connecting the RC to the Spark. Other than that, I'm connecting the RC to my phone via the OTG cable. Now the connection indication in the DJI GO 4 app. That should say RC connected or just connected. And I should have a green light on the RC.

Just one more clarification if you would. The only connection I'm going to make is connecting the RC to the Spark. Other than that, I'm connecting the RC to my phone via the OTG cable. Now the connection indication in the DJI GO 4 app. That should say RC connected or just connected. And I should have a green light on the RC.

When the Spark connects to the RC, the indicator in the lower left corner of the DJI GO 4 app will say CONNECTED and the lower right corner will say GO FLY. The aft lights on the Spark will now be slowly flashing yellow*. Tap the GO FLY button and you'll see the status screen; you can review the state of your Spark here. Dismiss that with the X in the upper right corner and you'll be at the main screen.

Once GPS lock has been obtained, the aft lights will slowly flash green. You can take off before GPS lock (in "Atti" mode), but as a new user I wouldn't recommend it.

* If GPS lock has been obtained quickly or you've waited a while before pressing the GO FLY button, the aft lights may be flashing green by the time you get to the main screen in the DJI GO 4 app.

Reactions: Spark 317
When the Spark connects to the RC, the indicator in the lower left corner of the DJI GO 4 app will say CONNECTED and the lower right corner will say GO FLY. The aft lights on the Spark will now be slowly flashing yellow*. Tap the GO FLY button and you'll see the status screen; you can review the state of your Spark here. Dismiss that with the X in the upper right corner and you'll be at the main screen.

Once GPS lock has been obtained, the aft lights will slowly flash green. You can take off before GPS lock (in "Atti" mode), but as a new user I wouldn't recommend it.

* If GPS lock has been obtained quickly or you've waited a while before pressing the GO FLY button, the aft lights may be flashing green by the time you get to the main screen in the DJI GO 4 app.

Thanks. I'll try everything out tonight.

6. I fly ...
I fly without an OTG adapter.
I bought one and see no difference between using it and not using it. Please note that I do not fly great distances but since the OTG connects the mobile device to the controller that distance is constant, ie, 3 to 6 inches .
I use a Note8.
I have tried to learn what active components are in the OTG with no luck. It seems to me that, presuming there are active components in the adapter, that the orientation of the OTG is important. That is it should "face" one way or the other.
Can someone help me better understand please?

I fly without an OTG adapter.
I bought one and see no difference between using it and not using it. Please note that I do not fly great distances but since the OTG connects the mobile device to the controller that distance is constant, ie, 3 to 6 inches .

The flakiness I've read about may be related to contention for channels in a wi-fi area that's congested. I know with the cable, I'll never have to worry about that.

I use a Note8.

Me too, sometimes. I'm relying mostly on my generic 6" Android tablet right now, since I don't use it for anything else.

I have tried to learn what active components are in the OTG with no luck. It seems to me that, presuming there are active components in the adapter, that the orientation of the OTG is important. That is it should "face" one way or the other.
Can someone help me better understand please?

With the Note 8, the orientation is pretty hard to get wrong, since it has a USB-C connector. The other end of the cable is micro-USB and only fits the RC :D

As for other phones/tablets that use Micro-USB, the cable I'm using has an unmarked connector on one end while the other end has the USB trident symbol. I figured the marked end probably goes into a regular micro-USB port (such as the one on the RC), and the unmarked end was for the host (the phone).

And, of course, if it doesn't work, turn it around ;)

Well, that was embarrassingly easy. I connected the phone to the RC with the OTG cable. Turned on the Spark and waited a few seconds for the steady flashing rear lights. Turned on the RC which automatically opened the DJI GO 4 app. The app said RC Connected and enter device. I gave it a few minutes and nothing further connected (still had red light on RC). Held down the pause/function/optional button on the RC and it pretty much immediately connected. It warned me that it was in ATTI mode. After about another minute, the satellite connection varied from 9 to 11 and it gave me the green GPS lock. Right after that, I got an announcement that my home location had been recorded and to verify it on the map. It was dean on. Fired up the motors and just did some hovering over a TV tray in the living room. Landed and shutdown the motors, started up and took off several times. The only thing I noticed was that I was getting constant beeps from the phone once I took off with no messages being displayed so I'm not sure what they were trying to tell me. But all appears to be working normally so hope to get some RC car racing video this weekend. Thanks for all of the responses and patience. It's much appreciated.

The beeping was probably due to the obstacle detection functionality built into the Spark. I'm guessing there was a wall or something within 10 ft or so of the front of the drone.

The beeping was probably due to the obstacle detection functionality built into the Spark. I'm guessing there was a wall or something within 10 ft or so of the front of the drone.

Yes there was. The other thing that dawned on me was that 2 outside walls were also within 10 feet and the house has aluminum siding.

I use proceed according the following instructions:

1) Turn on the transmitter and wait for red led stop blinking

2) keep your cell phone WIFI turned off or in airplane mode

3) conect OTG cable between RC and CellPhone

4) Cell Phone should display a menu to chosse the aplication to be used with otg (I keep the chosen aplication as "once" because I have DJI GO4 original, DJI GO4 mod, CAVU and Litchi installed).

5) Turn on spark and await for image on cell phone screen.

Reactions: Zipfly
Usually, you can turn on and connect everything, in any order you want.

That has been my experience too, as i mentioned in the first paragraph of post #2. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has no problems getting everything to connect :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe