Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connection issues in Bulgaria

ImbAra

Join
Jul 13, 2017
Hi guys,

I am really new pilot. First drone own it for almost a week. It's a blast so far, but... I watched several videos of people flying their drones 1.5km+ away. However I tried several times and I loose connection on 150-160m. I am using the RC and OTG cable and I am confused. Am I doing something wrong?

In Europe, the link between the RC and Spark is as per CE power levels, not FCC (US).
You can check the spec HERE. Transmitter Power (EIRP) for Aircraft and RC. It is lower in Europe because it is standard Wifi and in Europe its power is limited.
Up to now, I reached 600 m with 5.8 GHz in a remote place. In urban area, it would have been much lower.
One think you can try is to set your phone to airplane, if you use a tablet, maybe also set your phone to airplane and avoid any bluetooth device around you.
Also the 2.4 GHz frequency band should give more range in open space. In city it could be different.
Also check the user manual for the position of the antenna, it could make some difference.

By the way, welcome on board ;)

Hi. Thanks for the prompt reply. Will try tomorrow and yes I fly mostly in the city. What about anthena range extender will it do any good?

I purchased ONE like this and I am trying to test it but weather is not on my side currently.
But it will have limited effects:
  • Reduce interference coming from from behind the RC.
  • Concentrate a little the power in direction of the drone.
So the potential of improvement is limited to maybe 10% in range in good condition, this mainly in open field area.
They will bring no real improvement when there is almost no wifi channels free.

If you use android, you can use some wifi scanner like WIFI ANALYZER to check what channels are currently used. Or use the GO app, there is also an indication of signals versus channel but you need to have the link established with the Spark..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef