Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Controlled banked turns?

cozzykim

Join
Jan 17, 2018
Loc
Derbyshire UK.
Has everyone mastered the banked turn, if so, how?

I don't find this intuitive at all, having being used to fixed wing.

What's the best way to learn, without crashing?

(Don't say Sim, they're not up to the job IMHO)

"banked turn"? I think the only DJI drone that can do a banked turn is Mavic Pro in Airplane mode. DJI drones being primarily AP drones, I don't think they've programmed them to "bank". I think they don't do this so you get a nice "level" video or picture if you snap a shot. I fly FPV drones too and to get them to bank, you push the yaw and roll sticks in the same direction (forward too) and they will do a banking turn...

Reactions: Mike Brown
"banked turn"? I think the only DJI drone that can do a banked turn is Mavic Pro in Airplane mode. DJI drones being primarily AP drones, I don't think they've programmed them to "bank". I think they don't do this so you get a nice "level" video or picture if you snap a shot. I fly FPV drones too and to get them to bank, you push the yaw and roll sticks in the same direction (forward too) and they will do a banking turn...

I know this, same as fixed wing. What I'm saying is that the amount of yaw/roll required for a fixed wing turn feels more intuitive for me, maybe because it's helped by the rudder weathercocking.

How do you learn the right amount of yaw/roll for a drone, I'm finding it more difficult.

I don't see what you're saying about yaw and roll with the Spark, it has the capability of all the same axis movements as any other drone.
It even has an FPV camera mode, where the camera gimbal doesn't roll to correct the horizon. :confused:

Check this at 0:51 or even better at 3:36:

But this guy is doing that for very long time obviously.
And to learn that he crached many drones for sure. I think that's what you simply can't avoid if you want to learn curving well. But Spark is still to expensive to do that with I'd say.
I think you can't go slow to do bank curving. But when you go fast chances for crash increases exponentially.
I'm planning to try a lot of things. But I have to wait for spring to come and grass to grow 1m high. Guess why.:D

Has everyone mastered the banked turn, if so, how?

I don't find this intuitive at all, having being used to fixed wing.

What's the best way to learn, without crashing?

(Don't say Sim, they're not up to the job IMHO)

I know exactly what you mean... I don't know why it seems to be a confusing topic for others.

I've been trying to practice it in normal (P?) mode by picking an object, centering it in the camera view and orbiting around it, keeping it fully centered vertically and horizontally in the camera view while trying not to move the drone closer or farther from the target. So far, it's not very easy to do, but I'm hoping using exercises like these will give me the muscle memory to perform smooth banked turns with the Spark as you mentioned.

For extra description for people trying to figure out what I'm talking about, if you push full right on the right stick, that makes the drone fly sideways. If while doing that you also push the throttle stick to the right, this will make the drone fly in a circle with the camera always facing the center of the circle.

Reactions: cozzykim
It takes time. You'll get the hang of it....

Sure the Spark has the same yaw and roll movement as other DJI drones, BUT not the same when compared to an FPV drone. You can push the stick on an FPV drone, so that it does a complete roll. You can't do that with the Spark or any DJI drone. They basically do a "relatively" flat turn... Watching the video above that mimixtz has included shows it doesn't bank much...

I know this, same as fixed wing. What I'm saying is that the amount of yaw/roll required for a fixed wing turn feels more intuitive for me, maybe because it's helped by the rudder weathercocking.

How do you learn the right amount of yaw/roll for a drone, I'm finding it more difficult.

I don't see what you're saying about yaw and roll with the Spark, it has the capability of all the same axis movements as any other drone.
It even has an FPV camera mode, where the camera gimbal doesn't roll to correct the horizon. :confused:

Reactions: cozzykim
NyJosh and Sparkbart, thanks for the posts above.

I suddenly realised that I'm thinking of the Spark like it's a toy quad, like my V959, and it's not.

If the accuracy of the flight control system is as good as being able to do a nose in circle with full right sticks, while holding altitude, then that makes practicing and learning the muscle memory much easier.

I think you've answered my question fellas. :cool:

Reactions: NyJosh
I find that while in sport mode at full forward speed you can do nice banked turns by leading the turn with a bit of roll followed by yaw and increase both gradually, moreso on the yaw so the turn stays nicely banked all the way through. I can make some very smooth banked turns like this.

I tried it today, in normal mode in a friend's big field.

It's much easier than my older drones like the V959.

Like NyJosh said, if I do full right roll and full right yaw, it makes a perfect banked right turn.

They're a bit wider than I'd like in a tight corner, so I guess that some throttle will pull it round tighter into the turn?

The next stage, after a bit of practice, will be to find a bigger space and do it in Sport mode.

I'm hoping that learning on the Spark will give me better muscle memory to get it right on something like the V959.

What a superb little machine the Spark is, worth every penny in the smiles it brings.

Reactions: Sparkbart
Spark is a lot of fun, its good practice, but doing high speed low level passes and banked turns with the inspire 2 is a real rush.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf