Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Couldn't Start Firmware Update: Spark & Remote Wouldn't Connect to Go 4 App...Worked Yesterday

Join
Nov 13, 2021
Yesterday I was able to connect my spark, remote, and iPhone 12 using the OTG cable and was ready to update firmware...Go 4 app showed 'Connected' and orange banner showed updates to be installed. Today I wanted to actually update firmware but only the drone and remote would connect. The two wouldn't connect to the Go 4 app.

So I restarted iPhone, changed OTG cables, deleted and reloaded Go 4 app, and resigned into Go 4 app. App showed my assigned Spark name 'Gordo2'...so I was signed in.

Can anyone spot anything I did wrong with the procedure below?
Procedure:

1) Turned on remote
2) Turned on Spark
3) Opened up Go 4 app, selected Spark from drone list, was signed in as mentioned above.
4) Connected iPhone and remote with new OTG cable.
5) Pushed and held battery button for 3 seconds & drone emitted single beep. (Page 38, manual)
6) Remote: Held down 3 buttons: Pause + FN + Custom buttons simultaneously (Page 38 manual)...beeping and flashing LEDs on drone...controller, red light flashing, and then connection...Beeping stopped and
solid green light on remote...could start up motors with remote.

But... Go 4 app still said, 'Not Connected'.

Any suggestions?

If everything is turned on and connected, shouldn't have to mess with the function key, just takeoff.

In your steps 6 why can't you just take off?
Hi...I can't take off because because the firmware on the Spark, Remote, and Battery haven't been updated since August 21,2018. A pilot friend flew it then to help him get through cancer. After successful treatment, he just put it away in his closet until he gave it to me a gift a couple of weeks ago. Two days ago everything was connected: Spark, remote, and Go 4 app. It was ready of firmware updating but I didn't do it. Yesterday , I could connect the Spark to the Remote but not to the Go 4 app. There have been 4 firmware releases/updates since he last flew it. I dare not fly it until I can get the Go 4 app to connect again so I can update the firmware. I should have just updated the firmware when everything was connected. But it was late at night and put it off until yesterday when I no longer could connect the Spark to Go 4 app. I was hoping someone would spot an error in my startup sequence. Attached is a screenshot when everything was connected together and ready for firmware updates. I'm just trying to get back to that point so I can do the updates, perform the calibrations, and go flying. I guess I was not very clear where I was in the process. I'll get better at this.

Attachments

• Spark Connected Message #1.gif
    Spark Connected Message #1.gif
    83.1 KB · Views: 6
Hi...I can't take off because because the firmware on the Spark, Remote, and Battery haven't been updated since August 21,2018. A pilot friend flew it then to help him get through cancer. After successful treatment, he just put it away in his closet until he gave it to me a gift a couple of weeks ago. Two days ago everything was connected: Spark, remote, and Go 4 app. It was ready of firmware updating but I didn't do it. Yesterday , I could connect the Spark to the Remote but not to the Go 4 app. There have been 4 firmware releases/updates since he last flew it. I dare not fly it until I can get the Go 4 app to connect again so I can update the firmware. I should have just updated the firmware when everything was connected. But it was late at night and put it off until yesterday when I no longer could connect the Spark to Go 4 app. I was hoping someone would spot an error in my startup sequence. Attached is a screenshot when everything was connected together and ready for firmware updates. I'm just trying to get back to that point so I can do the updates, perform the calibrations, and go flying. I guess I was not very clear where I was in the process. I'll get better at this.
Try the DJI Assisstant app for Spark on a windows operating system. That application can update firmwares for your spark. Then go ahead and try with your DJI go 4 app on your phone. Btw, OTG cable is only required if you don’t want to link your phone with the remote wirelessly.
There is an option to link your remote to the spark on the Go 4 app in case..

Yesterday I was able to connect my spark, remote, and iPhone 12 using the OTG cable and was ready to update firmware...Go 4 app showed 'Connected' and orange banner showed updates to be installed. Today I wanted to actually update firmware but only the drone and remote would connect. The two wouldn't connect to the Go 4 app.

Just a thought and not sure if it's related, when doing updates on the Spark, I've had no problems doing whatever updates via Wi-Fi.

The OTG cable may be interfering with the update process.

I call it the Wi-Fi dance when updating the Spark.

Fire up the Spark, remote, and device using the Wi-Fi ( no OTG cable ) and by switching between the Home Wi-Fi and the Sparks, I've had success.

Pay attention to the prompts on the app.

Download the update via the home Wi-Fi, and then switch to the Sparks Wi-Fi to install the update when prompted.

Good luck. :)

Like Spark 317, I have never had any luck updating with the OTG cable and had to use a Wifi connection to the Spark remote and did the Wifi dance as well. I guess if you had lots of data on your phone plan, you could download the update with cellular data and avoid the wifi dance.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex