Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Crashed my Spark today...

SpeedCore

Join
Oct 2, 2017
Loc
Austria
... but luckily, it survived without severe injures. Just two ripped props and some dirt and grass sticking on the body. I was flying around the top of the local church and when the Spark was halfway around it, the connection was lost for a moment. I managed to regain control but then a few seconds later the connection was lost again and RTH was triggered. Unfortunately, my RTH altitude was set to 40m and the very top of the church was 40,5m :( On it's way home it hit the top of the church and came down waaaay too quickly... I was really lucky that it just hit the roof once and then fell on the soft grass right next to the church. After taking a look at the flight log, I can't tell why the obstacle avoidance didn't prevent the crash. The manual tells that obstacle avoidance is only disabled at a distance >100m because of the increased RTH speed. At the time of RTH the spark was only 54m out so obstacle avoidance should have been enabled. Any ideas?

... but luckily, it survived without severe injures. Just two ripped props and some dirt and grass sticking on the body. I was flying around the top of the local church and when the Spark was halfway around it, the connection was lost for a moment. I managed to regain control but then a few seconds later the connection was lost again and RTH was triggered. Unfortunately, my RTH altitude was set to 40m and the very top of the church was 40,5m :( On it's way home it hit the top of the church and came down waaaay too quickly... I was really lucky that it just hit the roof once and then fell on the soft grass right next to the church. After taking a look at the flight log, I can't tell why the obstacle avoidance didn't prevent the crash. The manual tells that obstacle avoidance is only disabled at a distance >100m because of the increased RTH speed. At the time of RTH the spark was only 54m out so obstacle avoidance should have been enabled. Any ideas?

Sorry about the crash. I’ve had one, kind of similar- I was flying inside and let the battery get too low (this was when I was just learning to fly) and it initiated the rth program. It went right to the ceiling, went up and down the wall a few times (making as many scratches as possible) and then set down in one of my wife’s favorite plants taking a few flowers with it. I’m still living in the garage. What I was really wondering is how you get access to the flight logs? I’ve tried and get gibberish. Are you using a third party program, and if so, which one?

Good flying,

Dave

Reactions: Airdinger
Where you in sport mode?
No, normal mode all the time. I can provide flight log and a video of the crash tomorrow when I have access to my macbook.

What I was really wondering is how you get access to the flight logs? I’ve tried and get gibberish. Are you using a third party program, and if so, which one?
I only know how this works with iOS, but I guess it’s quite similar with Android. Within your app directory, there‘s a folder with .txt files in it, just look for it in your phone file system (you can use 3rd party tools like iMazing or I-Funbox for iOS) and copy the file you want to investigate to your pc. Then upload it at phantomhelp.com/logviewer for processing.

Reactions: optionbLur
No, normal mode all the time. I can provide flight log and a video of the crash tomorrow when I have access to my macbook.
Thanks very much. I’m using iPad mini or iPhone.

I only know how this works with iOS, but I guess it’s quite similar with Android. Within your app directory, there‘s a folder with .txt files in it, just look for it in your phone file system (you can use 3rd party tools like iMazing or I-Funbox for iOS) and copy the file you want to investigate to your pc. Then upload it at phantomhelp.com/logviewer for processing.

I’m wondering if the object was to “thin” or to “small” so to speak that the sensors didn’t see it? The flight logs look normal but I’m not a pro. I think you were loosing signal because usually those deals on top of churches like that are solid metal and that was causing your signal loss if I had to take a lucky guess.

I’m wondering if the object was to “thin” or to “small”
I was thinking the same thing but on the other hand it stopped right in front of a tiny tree branch the other day. Furthermore, the star on top isn't that small, while the pole underneath is really slim. However, it crashed into the star right on the top.

Reactions: TrooperDrone
Didn't notice it.
Thanks.

I think RTH was set at his default 30m, being you at 40 it just pointed the right direction....if you changed before takeoff to 50m ALT for RTH it would have been starting to ascend when triggered.

I think RTH was set at his default 30m, being you at 40 it just pointed the right direction....if you changed before takeoff to 50m ALT for RTH it would have been starting to ascend when triggered.
RTH altitude was set to 40m and at the time to connection loss it was right at 40m so it didn't adjust altitude and just changed the direction and went towards me. If it had changed it to 41m or higher it would have avoided the star on top of the church.

The avoidance system on the Spark isn't as good or "sensitive" as the Mavic or Phantom 4. I was demonstrating the collision avoidance to my brother. I had it fly at me at "head height" and the Spark didn't "see" my melon head and would have hit me. Second I always set my RTH altitude when I go to a new flying site. I set the RTH altitude way higher than the tallest object I can see or my fly over...

Happened to all of us. One piece of advice.... check your surroundings before take off

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers