Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Crashed on RTH

David Almond

Join
May 29, 2017
Loc
Media, PA
I had my first crash today flying my Spark with my goggles. I thought that I would have difficulty with the goggles, but they were easy as could be. The real issue came when I was flying through the trees to get ready to land, got the 8s warning, started to descend and then RTH took over and that was all she wrote. Went high up in to the trees and came crashing onto the drive. Broke one of the motor mounts off, two LED indicators missing and scratched up the back end pretty bad.

This is where I talk about what a great decision to get the DJI Care and that I purchased all my Spark related items from Advexure. They are terrific...from helping make the right choice on a purchase to when I needed to work through the DJI paperwork of a return (which really is quite efficient). I packed it up and will send it in the mail tomorrow.

THANK YOU Advexure....help was there even on Sunday!

Attachments

• IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 90
Reactions: Advexure
This is where I talk about what a great decision to get the DJI Care and that I purchased all my Spark related items from Advexure. They are terrific...from helping make the right choice on a purchase to when I needed to work through the DJI paperwork of a return (which really is quite efficient). I packed it up and will send it in the mail tomorrow.

THANK YOU Advexure....help was there even on Sunday!

Sorry to hear about your incident, @David Almond. :( RTH has almost bit me in the butt a few times but luckily have never had it cause any harm. I am glad to hear you purchased Care Refresh, that was a very good decision. Also very glad to hear our team was able to assist you today, you are most welcome and thank you for your appreciation, support and loyalty.

We will be working to get your case turned around with our colleagues at the Service Center as quickly as possible. Talk soon.

If the RC disconnects from the bird causing RTH when under trees shouldnt that be a regular warrenty situation? There is nothing in the Spark guide that says "typically you can expect the RC to disconnect so dont fly under any trees". Mine did this and fell. Results were line cracks in arm joints.

You can choose what the RTH should do, climb or not. You can select the altitude of RTH. You decide.

You can choose what the RTH should do, climb or not. You can select the altitude of RTH. You decide.
I am aware of the RTH climb, minimum of 66 feet which was enough to hit a limb. But I have not found where to turn that off. It wold have hit a limb either way. Thanks

I am aware of the RTH climb, minimum of 66 feet which was enough to hit a limb. But I have not found where to turn that off. It wold have hit a limb either way. Thanks
User manual RTH procedure page 14, section 4. If RTH is set at same altitude, there is a 2.5m minimum altitude (7.5 feet) if the Spark is close to home point. When it is fare away there is not that much said but I would assume that RTH at same altitude would work just as it's name. Here there is no option to disable totally RTH. Maybe the RTH at same altitude could have helped. So it is selecting return at same altitude that disable climbing, but if selected it is could be goog to also select obstacle avoidance, it will apply also during RTH.
The settings of RTH are always critical but there is no perfect settings that will work in all situations. It has to be reviewed before each flight.

Don't take me wrong, I just want to learn from your case, not blaming you in any way.

User manual RTH procedure page 14, section 4. If RTH is set at same altitude, there is a 2.5m minimum altitude (7.5 feet) if the Spark is close to home point. When it is fare away there is not that much said but I would assume that RTH at same altitude would work just as it's name. Here there is no option to disable totally RTH. Maybe the RTH at same altitude could have helped. So it is selecting return at same altitude that disable climbing, but if selected it is could be goog to also select obstacle avoidance, it will apply also during RTH.
The settings of RTH are always critical but there is no perfect settings that will work in all situations. It has to be reviewed before each flight.

Don't take me wrong, I just want to learn from your case, not blaming you in any way.

Sparky was maybe 40 feet from the home point. Would she have to go to the minimum RTH at that distance from the home point?

It is closer than the distance limit for normal RTH, so if you have enabled RTH at current altitude, it will return home at minimum 2.5m (7.5 feet). If it is not enabled, then it should just land.
That's what the manual says.

But if the remote has disconnected all your left with is watching, waiting and swearing...

For a “Low Battery” RTH, selecting the “Return at current altitude” function in the DJI GO 4 App serves no purpose. That function only works for “Fail Safe” That is a quote from DJI to explain why my Spark went into the trees

It is closer than the distance limit for normal RTH, so if you have enabled RTH at current altitude, it will return home at minimum 2.5m (7.5 feet). If it is not enabled, then it should just land.
That's what the manual says.
It only says that under the “Fail Safe” paragraph. What the drone will do when RTH is triggered due to low battery is very ambiguous in the manual and I quote “the thresholds for these warnings are automatically determined based on the aircraft’s current altitude and distance from the home point”

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
I would like to find out more about this rth setting it's very confusing what the a.c. is actually going to do. When you are wearing the dgi goggles can you cancel the rth by pressing that red x ????.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex