Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Damaged usb port spark controller

Bullyboy

Join
Dec 31, 2018
Damaged the charge port on my controller so now I can't charge or link it to my phone. Done a search on repair threads here but couldn't find much. Some Youtube videos I found are a bit sketchy and usually about the Mavic controller. Anybody point me to some good info on replacing the usb port. Probably end up buying a new one but would like to have a go repairing it myself first.

Cheers

Deano

Damaged the charge port on my controller so now I can't charge or link it to my phone. Done a search on repair threads here but couldn't find much. Some Youtube videos I found are a bit sketchy and usually about the Mavic controller. Anybody point me to some good info on replacing the usb port. Probably end up buying a new one but would like to have a go repairing it myself first.

Cheers

Deano

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Bullyboy.

Since you watched a few YouTube videos, you know what's involved with tearing down the remote.
The Mavic remotes are similar in build and teardown.
It may be easier to get another remote to get back to flying and work on the old remote later.
Label the cable to prevent it from happening again.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

20180729_182621.jpg

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Bullyboy.

Since you watched a few YouTube videos, you know what's involved with tearing down the remote.
The Mavic remotes are similar in build and teardown.
It may be easier to get another remote to get back to flying and work on the old remote later.
Label the cable to prevent it from happening again.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

View attachment 8146

I've only had my Spark a few days and I'm absolutely loving it. Love the controller, too.

That said, DJI's design decision to eschew the industry-standard trapezoid shape of the micro-USB socket has got to be one of the freakin' dumbest things I've ever seen.

I've only had my Spark a few days and I'm absolutely loving it. Love the controller, too.

That said, DJI's design decision to eschew the industry-standard trapezoid shape of the micro-USB socket has got to be one of the freakin' dumbest things I've ever seen.

I agree. When I first took the Spark out of the box and started plugging cables, I knew this was going to be a problem someday.

I had my copilot plug it in the first time that way she broke it, and not me.:D

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet

+1 Like for good use of the word "eschew"

Reactions: Spark 317
Dismantled it o.k. Easier than I thought albeit a bit fiddly, not being familiar with ribbon cables. Went to the local J-Car and got a micro b usb port. Trotted it down to the local 'electronic repair' shop. Charged me $40 to solder the new port in and it promptly fell off when I got home. Told me to bring it back but I'm a bit suss of them now. Will just try and get my money back. Had a blue paste on the face of 5 chips between the board and heat sink which has to come off to access the board for soldering. He managed to spread that all over the board too, what a mess. I'm thinking this may be heat paste so now I have to clean the board also. Numpty idiot. Now I have to track down somebody competent (hopefully).

Cheers

Deano

Reactions: Spark 317
Dismantled it o.k. Easier than I thought albeit a bit fiddly, not being familiar with ribbon cables. Went to the local J-Car and got a micro b usb port. Trotted it down to the local 'electronic repair' shop. Charged me $40 to solder the new port in and it promptly fell off when I got home. Told me to bring it back but I'm a bit suss of them now. Will just try and get my money back. Had a blue paste on the face of 5 chips between the board and heat sink which has to come off to access the board for soldering. He managed to spread that all over the board too, what a mess. I'm thinking this may be heat paste so now I have to clean the board also. Numpty idiot. Now I have to track down somebody competent (hopefully).

Cheers

Deano

Dear DJI-

It's 2019 -- Please use USB-C ports in all your future products as they are reversible and cannot be damaged from improper orientation with insertion.

Sincerely,

Your Customer Base

I had the same problem. After disassembling of the RC (be aware of two small connectors to manipulators PCBs) you have to take away the IC electromagnetic shield to be able to replace the connector itself. So you need the soldering blower and IR heater to prepair the PCB properly.

Cheers

Deano
you can buy the whole mainboard from ebay cheap well 100 bucks i think but by then you can buy for another 100 so 200 you can buy just a new spark off ebay off someone etc... and save yourself the time of tearing it down then you have spare parts motors etc...so your really saving time and frustration until something else breaks...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme