Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Death of my Spark

DarkJedi66

Join
Apr 8, 2019
The GPS return kicked in on my Spark yesterday when the battery hit 15% and tried to return home automatically. It automatically ascended and tried to go. Unfortunately, it rammed itself into a tree!! I panicked and tried to over-ride the auto-return but, by the time I shut it off, she had already crashed landed! When I recovered her, I found her completely busted! The gimbal/camera broken from its frame and hanging by a wire; and a gaping rip on the side of one of the motor fixtures. I bought my Spark used so it has no warranty or repair service for it. I'm heartbroken and S.O.L. too!!! ??

I'm sorry, but the obstacle avoidance was setted and the light was good? But I'm very sorry for you I hope you can fix this trouble

The GPS return kicked in on my Spark yesterday when the battery hit 15% and tried to return home automatically. It automatically ascended and tried to go. Unfortunately, it rammed itself into a tree!! I panicked and tried to over-ride the auto-return but, by the time I shut it off, she had already crashed landed! When I recovered her, I found her completely busted! The gimbal/camera broken from its frame and hanging by a wire; and a gaping rip on the side of one of the motor fixtures. I bought my Spark used so it has no warranty or repair service for it. I'm heartbroken and S.O.L. too!!! ??
You could still have it repaired, I recently also had to have my spark repaired, ***call 1(212) 333-3150 *** It's the DJI store in Manhattan in NYC. They are fabulous! You called them up, you can ship the spark to them, they will give you a free estimate, if you decide that you want to have the work performed you just authorize it in an email, then you will get another email telling you when the repairs are completed, usually within 7 to 10 days, and then you pay the amount, and then they will ship it back to your house for free! It's definitely worth looking into. Good luck to you my friend

Sorry for your Sparky’s demise :(

Like others have written, the Spark can be repaired. I would give it a try.

Why did you let it get to 15% battery?

I did similar. Luckily it was insured and easily repaired. Drone Doctor (UK Company) did a good job and quickly
I had my Mavic pro 1 done by drone doctors uk.
My battery swelled up on rth and when it was 150 feet above me the battery disconnected and the Mavic dropped like a stone straight on to a carpark I was stood on.
The slow Mo effect was painful [emoji1787]
300 quid had to have new body,shell motor's arms, and new camera wiring. Luckily the whole camera survived was just dangling by the wire's.

That doesn't help if you're under something, like in this sad incident.
Since I am poor in English and I use a translator, I thought I understood that he had not climbed high enough and that during the rth he was in a tree, I did not understand that he was flying under the trees in which case actually he should have settled his rth at a lower height than the trees

Since I am poor in English and I use a translator, I thought I understood that he had not climbed high enough and that during the rth he was in a tree, I did not understand that he was flying under the trees in which case actually he should have settled his rth at a lower height than the trees
If you are flying low battery and under a tree canopy or similar, you really should set your RTH to hover. At 15% battery it must have been in line of sight or it wasn't getting home anyway.

The Spark doesn't let the user choose between RTH, Hover or Land.
You are correct. The drone was down the street. I turned it around to bring her home when the rth kicked in and made it start climbing. At the height she was currently at, it would have be just a straight shot back home but, instead, it started climbing higher and higher and would not respond manually. That's why she got caught up in the trees.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme