Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI approves for LAANC approvals.

On the surface, this seems great, and ideally the list of 500 airports will continue to grow. Unfortunately, airports have to opt into the LAANC program. Where I live, they have yet to opt in. So, I either break the law, or find class G airspace.
This makes me angry as I took/passed the 107 certification program solely to have access to LAANC...may be one day

This system is only for Part 107 pilots. Anybody think it will ever be available to the hobbyists?

Seems to me once the system is fully functional and can handle the volume it wouldn't take much to flip that switch. Expect another registration process and fee to cover their costs. Maybe that's how they'll enforce the proposed competency testing as well.

I'm sure the control towers would embrace this to cut down on phone calls and reduce the number of pilots who never call and fly without notification.

Any thoughts?

This system is only for Part 107 pilots. Anybody think it will ever be available to the hobbyists?

Seems to me once the system is fully functional and can handle the volume it wouldn't take much to flip that switch. Expect another registration process and fee to cover their costs. Maybe that's how they'll enforce the proposed competency testing as well.

I'm sure the control towers would embrace this to cut down on phone calls and reduce the number of pilots who never call and fly without notification.

Any thoughts?

With the passage and eventual implementation of the FAA Reauthorization act, LAANC will be the only way you could fly anywhere near any airport located in class B, C, D or E airspace. As far as it being for 107 pilots only - I see nothing regulatory currently preventing a hobbyist from using it, as a matter of fact Air Map has a drop down for 336 flight approvals. I use Air Map all the time, it takes about 20 seconds to get approval to fly in controlled airspace.

I think all this was previously planned as those who developed section 336 eventually realized it wasn't going to work. Trump signed the FAA Reauthorization act into law on Friday, Under Title III, subtitle B "Section 349" (get used to saying Section 349) the very last sentence:

REPEAL.—Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (49 U.S.C. 40101 note) and the item relating to that section in the table of contents under section 1(b) of that Act are repealed."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis