Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI GO4 v4.1.10?

I'm sure a lot of people will really like the dynamic home point feature. It looks like we'll have to wait until the new Spark firmware update to use it though (per this thread). Let's hope that DJI employee is not correct in saying the dynamic home point feature is only available when using those few select flight modes.

DynamicHomePoint.jpg

I'm sure a lot of people will really like the dynamic home point feature. It looks like we'll have to wait until the new Spark firmware update to use it though (per this thread). Let's hope that DJI employee is not correct in saying the dynamic home point feature is only available when using those few select flight modes.

Why would you want the craft's position to be auto-set to its position outside of active tracking ? And even for active tracking you'd need to be able to turn that off if you're following a boat at sea from the shore for instance.

As "Malakai_UK" writes in the thread you linked, this auto RTH setting sounds like it would be only really needed/useful for active tracking without an RC, i.e. currently max limit in gesture mode is 15 meters and in smartphone mode 100 meters.

Why would you want the craft's position to be auto-set to its position outside of active tracking?
The dynamic home point feature will most likely only auto reset the home point to the remote controller's current location (assuming you're using a mobile device with a GPS receiver).

As "Malakai_UK" writes in the thread you linked, this auto RTH setting sounds like it would be only really needed/useful for active tracking without an RC, i.e. currently max limit in gesture mode is 15 meters and in smartphone mode 100 meters.
It would be useful in any scenario where the pilot moves away from the last marked home point. People commonly have a need for something like this when flying from a moving boat.

They do specifically mention the position of the aircraft, something they have control over, I doubt they would do any automatic setting based on the GPS position of the smartphone/tablet. Besides it's not needed for what currently severely limits the usefulness of "Active Tracking", 15 meters in gesture mode and 100 meters in smartphone mode.

As for piloting from a boat (or skiiing/biking/driving) yes it could be convenient of course but you can already reset the home position manually, something that's impossible to do while active tracking. Ideally they would add an RC shortcut to reset the position with one click.

Reactions: Kilrah
I doubt they would do any automatic setting based on the GPS position of the smartphone/tablet
That's the only way DJI has ever implemented the dynamic home point feature in the past. Let's hope they allow it to be dynamically reset to either the aircraft's current location or the mobile device's current location.

As for piloting from a boat (or skiiing/biking/driving) yes it could be convenient of course but you can already reset the home position manually
Manually resetting the home point every time a continuously moving boat has moved is quite the hassle :(

Engaging an RC shortcut every couple of seconds during an entire flight is also a hassle IMO. The P2V+ had a dynamic home point setting just like I'm describing above, so it's certainly possible to do via software.

Reactions: Spark 317
I like the potential this has, being able to mount the controller to a bicycle and have it follow you for some distance. I'm going to test this out asap!

Reactions: Kilrah
Couldn't you that before ? Or are you saying you'll just connect the RC, start Gesture Mode tracking and be able to take control with the RC if something happens ?

With RC yes, but not WiFi.
WiFi has about 100m range so the aircraft is set to stop 100m from home point on WiFi. If you're in activetrack you can be more than 100m from homepoint but will still be close to phone, yet it would still stop making activetrack with phone useless. This would solve it. Would make a lot more sense to have the HP track controller/phone position than aircraft of course, but it would at least work in both cases.

Couldn't you that before ? Or are you saying you'll just connect the RC, start Gesture Mode tracking and be able to take control with the RC if something happens ?
The drone fly's with a distance limit set with the home point as the center. so if you "rode your bike" outside of this circle the drone would stop at the virtual wall.

I have read several posts and videos telling how they had lost controller connection (away from usual fly zone) and the spark just flew off.
Possibly this is because it tried to fly to the previous RTH (possibly it was 200km away)
Personally I often forget to set my RTH, so if it reset or asked me to reset on takeoff or as I was walking along, that would probably safe my spark someday.

The drone fly's with a distance limit set with the home point as the center. so if you "rode your bike" outside of this circle the drone would stop at the virtual wall.

Right, what would be nice is to be able to have the RC available in your pocket with the stick protector for backup just in case something happens and no need for the phone to be connected. I guess you could do that previously too but you would need to initiate the active track from the app.

Has anyone tried it? Surprised that there are no threads on this yet?

Cheers
M
Maybe not related, but after the software update I lost my video connection to my Spark. Right now my Spark is saying to contact DJI for service. I have only flown my Spark maybe a dozen times and never had so much as a small bump to have caused any problem. Curious if anyone else might be experiencing the same?

Cheers
M

Cheers
M

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme