Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark / RC / GO 4 / iPhone / Goggles connection topology

ASD

Join
Dec 25, 2017
Hi there from the UK,

Sorry this is just my second post and is so long but I am trying to be as clear and specific as I can.

I'm here seeking clarification on the Spark and how it connects to it's controller (RC) / iPhone in order to make a decision on getting DJI Goggles....

My first exposure to drones was via the DRL racing series that was aired in the UK, In the past I have had various RC cars and aeroplanes but the idea of immersive FPV flying is what really drew me and is where I want to be.

I was very close to getting a Mavic 12 months ago but lack of supply in the UK at this time resulted in me holding off and looking again now.

So my initial plan is to just learn how to fly my Spark with the RC OTG connected to the iPhone and using both line of sight and the iPhone display to find my way around.

But ideally I want to add goggles in order to give me the best FPV experience possible....

So... Getting to my understanding (or lack of) of the Spark and it's connection topology.

The Spark connects to the RC via WiFi (Inferior but cheaper than Ocusync? - Hence relatively limited range)
The RC connects to my iPhone via either WiFi or OTG (Hardwired), OTG seems to be preferred as being more reliable / robust than WiFi for very little extra cost.

So my first plan is to get an OTG connection as a start point.

If I buy DJI goggles then these connect to my Spark controller using the HDMI port in the goggles to the micro USB in the RC? So a 'hardwired' connection.

As far as I can see the DJI goggles has an OSD (On Screen Display) with a reduced functionality version of GO 4 embedded into it, so initially I thought I wont need to worry about an iPhone as I can see what the info I need direct from just the goggles.

Question 1: Using DJI goggles.... If I do use an iPhone does the goggles OSD change to all of the parameters I would see via the iPhone display or is it always just the OSD that the goggles are shipped with? So I have to flip up the goggles and check my iPhone for any additional info that the iPhone GO 4 app shows?

Question 2: If I need the iPhone (based on the answers to Qu.1) and the RC micro USB connector is now occupied with goggles HDMI connection which means I am now back to the WiFi connection between the iPhone and the RC am I limited by this in any way, either flying range or DJI goggle video drop outs or pixellation? Or does the addition of DJI goggles help this some how.

Thanks for reading this

Cheers

ASD

Question 1 - you will see the major telemetry data, but usually you set up the other parameters first before connecting the goggles, I found the touch pad difficult to use with the menus.

In question 2 - OTG turns off the wi-fi function, so you can't use the wi-fi to connect the iphone and have the goggles connected at the same time.

To connect a phone/ tablet as well as the googles, you will need to experiment with connecting the phone via OTG to the RC and then the goggles to the phone via usb/hdmi.
The issue I had was supplying power to the hdmi/ usb connector, which was messy. I'm not sure about the latency in this arrangement, as I sent my googles back due to lack of focus adjustment (which is now available with different lens inserts).

One point to note is the display in the goggles from the Spark is 720p per eye as opposed to 1080p, only the Mavic through Occusync will provide 1080p to the goggles.

Not trying to disuade your purchasing decision, but I stayed with my Epson BT-300 moverio for the FPV (720P) experience, it can be VLOS and fully blacked out using the Rochester optical Solitaire Ace enclosure. With the Epson you see the entire DJI Go4 or Litchi app and can easily change all the parameters via the touch pad.
It doesn't have head control as you do with the DJI goggles, but it is much simpler to take photos and initiate video.
You will still have the problem with hdmi output, but I have used screen share to connect the BT-300 to a android tablet, so another screen can be used

If I buy DJI goggles then these connect to my Spark controller using the HDMI port in the goggles to the micro USB in the RC?
No, the goggles connect via OTG instead of the phone, so you can only have one or the other but not both simultaneously (the RC can also not stream both via OTG and WiFi at the same time, it's one or the other).

The Spark isn't really the best platform for that kind of thing, too many limitations. Mavic is MUCH superior.

Otg is pointless on iOS devices. It’s just not necessary. It solves problems for android users, whereas iOS is very stable.

The Spark isn't really the best platform for that kind of thing, too many limitations. Mavic is MUCH superior.

+1 The DJI goggle experience with the Spark leaves much to be desired. With that said, if you've never used the goggles with a Mavic, Phantom, etc. then you have nothing to compare against. So you might be cool with it.

Reactions: Kilrah
Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I learn a little more each time.

I have watched several Youtube reviews and would like to check a few things they said:

It was a French Youtube video ('Paladrone' I think?) that mentioned If you don't connect a phone or tablet device and use the GO 4 app to verify your position (I guess it means GPS signal and hence your position) when using the DJI goggles then you are limited to a range of 40 metres high and horizontal.

In another Youtube video it was discussed that being able to fly with just the DJI goggles and no phone or tablet connected was a benefit as you weren't limited to the battery life of an iPhone which can be short when connected via WiFi if you plan to fly for a reasonable amount of time?

If the 40 metre limitation is correct then using the goggles without a phone is a non starter for me

Cheers

ASD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast