Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark, Spark Controller & Samsung Note 9 compatibility

Robert Clegg

Join
Feb 20, 2019
Hello DJI Forum,
I'm an owner of the above tech and DJI are telling me that they don't support the Samsung Note 9 smart phone yet. Does anyone no any different. I'd like to connect the lot via Wi-Fi and fly. Any ideas fellow Spark Pilots?
Robert

I think the big question here is Android Pie compatibility. I know the Note 8 works fine with DJI GO 4, but that's still on Oreo at the moment (Pie is finishing up beta testing soon on the Note 8).

Many thanks for your response. I installed Android Pie about 4 days ago. If it allows me to connect via Wi-Fi my Spark, my controller and my Samsung Note 9, I'll be very happy. Has anybody tried flying with this tech and Android's latest upgrade?

I have the note 9 on Android pie and have not had any problem ..I didn't know there was potentially a problem ..so just connected and went flying ..

Hi Vanuchi,

That's great news, I'll try out my Spark, Spark Controller and Note 9 over Wi-Fi this weekend.

I've pasted the response I received in January from DJI Support which led to my concern.

Happy reading and thanks again.

"Fatima L (DJI Support)
1月19日 CST03:26

Dear Robert,

Hope you are doing well.

This is an email to acknowledge your response from email: 1930056.

If I am in your situation, I will certainly react the same way but as of the moment below mobile devices are only recommended and tested by our Field of Application Engineers.

iOS V4.3.3
Requires iOS 9.0 or above.
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

Android V4.3.2
Requires Android 5.0 or above.
Compatible with Samsung S9+, Samsung S9, Samsung S8+, Samsung S7, Samsung S7 Edge, Samsung S6, Samsung S6 Edge, Samsung Note 8, Huawei P20 Pro, Huawei P20, Huawei P10 Plus, Huawei P10, Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei Mate 10, Huawei Mate 9 Pro, Huawei Mate 9, Huawei Mate 8, Honor 10, Honor 9, Vivo X20, Vivo X9, OPPO Find X, OPPO R15, OPPO R11, Mi Mix 2S, Mi Mix 2, Mi 8, Mi 6, Redmi Note 5, Google Pixel 2XL, OnePlus 6, OnePlus 5T.

Using mobile devices that were not mentioned above may have quality or performance issue, we cannot guarantee. You can always check our products: Consumer Drones, Camera Stabilizers & Gimbals – DJI

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Best Regards,
Fatima L.
DJI Customer Support"

Android devices and updates come out so often that list will always be out of date. I have been using the Note 9 (but not pie) with great success.

When DJI says they "don't support" any Android device, it doesn't mean the device won't work. It only means that DJI has not extensively tested that device to check the compatibility with their software, which is completely understandable because there are so many versions of Android running in the market. Moreoever, most OEMs do not use stock Android and add several custom features to the OS making it impossible for DJI to test compatibility with all the versions.

Another Samsung Note9 with Pie user here... Absolutely no problems so far other than the Note9 doesn't fit in the phone holders very well as I have fitted gorilla glass on the phone screen. So I've made a little board out of corfute (a type of plastic sign material) that fits the holders and then magnetically attach the Note9 to it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit