Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Does anyone else trust themselves more than the Spark?

I don't get worried about flying my Spark when I see threads posed here about fly-a ways. Seeing 3-4 per month represents a very small percentage of the total number of Spark flights per month represented by this group. I do take most of the precautions (usually) when flying and just have fun with the hobby.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Very well said. I guess some people like to "program the flight" rather than fly it.

Depends on the goal, I think. My job requires me to do aerial survey on land plots. And Spark's flight time is premium (yes, we can only afford Spark at the moment :p ).

I flew the first flights manually. Free-flight for an aerial survey is just not feasible, too much time wasted trying to figure out whether I've made the right degree of turn, you either ended your flight when you still have more than 50% of the battery, or you were forced to land because you ran out of the battery. And there is always a feeling that you're rolling a dice whenever you start your engine. Will the aircraft return safely this time, or will I finally post a 'I lost my drone' thread on this forum? :)

Now with waypoint, I can design everything before I fly, get the footage that I need, make the most of the battery, and no longer worry about lost signal.

Depends on the goal, I think. My job requires me to do aerial survey on land plots. And Spark's flight time is premium (yes, we can only afford Spark at the moment :p ).

I flew the first flights manually. Free-flight for an aerial survey is just not feasible, too much time wasted trying to figure out whether I've made the right degree of turn, you either ended your flight when you still have more than 50% of the battery, or you were forced to land because you ran out of the battery. And there is always a feeling that you're rolling a dice whenever you start your engine. Will the aircraft return safely this time, or will I finally post a 'I lost my drone' thread on this forum? :)

Now with waypoint, I can design everything before I fly, get the footage that I need, make the most of the battery, and no longer worry about lost signal.

We were specifically discussing the benefits of manual takeoff and landing over the push-button / auto modes ("programmed"). I can see how the "programmed" terminology led to some confusion with your waypoint missions.

Waypoints are great for certain circumstances but I still prefer manual take off and landing when flying Litchi waypoints.

It all comes down to personal preference. I just like the idea of piloting the aircraft with the joysticks whenever I can. No skill involved in just pushing a button -- but some of those waypoint missions are highly complex to program. Have fun!

I fully see your point and agree with what you're saying. I have a very strong and profitable business where I utilize Litchi heavily. As already correctly stated by @Andre Levite your mixing types of autonomous flight in our conversation.

I think OP was about trusting automated/autonomous modes in general, not only automatic takeoff/landing.

I think OP was about trusting automated/autonomous modes in general, not only automatic takeoff/landing.

I think you're trying to put words into the OP's statement that aren't there. They specifically said:

........When you fly the spark, do you freely use the intelligent takeoff and landing, return to home button, etc?......

It was clearly stated Takeoff, Landing, and RTH. No grey area there my friend.

I have been paranoid about my Spark taking a mind of it's own for quite some time. For a while there, it seemed that the Go 4 app had some really bad issues and flyaways were being reported daily. Not a good confidence builder. And if you did have a flyaway, you had the burden of proof to DJI that is was not something that you overlooked or did and you would be lucky if you had the Care Refresh in place to cover it if indeed DJI agreed that the loss of your Spark was not your fault.

When I first got mine just a little over a year ago, I had all of the confidence I needed to fly my Spark but now, its just not quite the same for me. I flew mine with automatic takeoffs and landings. I did the initial calibrations but I never worried about interference from WiFi signals or my from my Smart watch or the Cell tower near me and it did fine. I did not use RTH but a few times but it worked just fine for me when I did use it. I guess I will have to just buck it up and take my chances... like everyone else. Such is life with a Spark. :rolleyes:

Seems like this topic was originally about confidence in oneself over confidence if the Spark's reliability. The whole question of autonomy kind of relates, but I think we all know you cant shake the feeling that your cash is flying around well above your head and anything can happen no matter who or what is in control.

..... but I think we all know you cant shake the feeling that your cash is flying around well above your head and anything can happen no matter who or what is in control.

We tell all of our students, "If you fly it odds are you'll eventually crash it in some way. Always expect it and you're less likely to be devastated when it happens. The ONLY way to NOT crash is to NOT fly....."

I think you're trying to put words into the OP's statement that aren't there. They specifically said:

It was clearly stated Takeoff, Landing, and RTH. No grey area there my friend.

Yes, but what about "intelligent" and "etc"?

Anyway, it's not important to me (I have made my mind about automatic modes), but it would be useful to someone else.

Yes, but what about "intelligent" and "etc"?

If you say so.... I tend to go more by what they actually said but to each his/her own.....

If you say so.... I tend to go more by what they actually said but to each his/her own.....

Hey all, thanks for the great insight. Just to clear up any confusion we are NOT talking about waypoints or litchi, I haven't even begun to dig into those types of advanced autonomous flights. I was more so just asking do you guys trust the technology enough to rely on it, Like how I see all these range tests with a spark and people just flying out over the ocean till they lose signal. "oh its fine it has return to home gps" Sure, that's great and cool and all, but me personally with my hard owned coin flying around above; I would rather be in full control, unless ABSOLUTELY NEEDED/EMERGENCY.

Also you all should know I tend to overthink/over worry about things. Like storing my spark. You should see me lowering it down into its foam hard case. Its still like my newborn baby, has to be carefully lowered into its cradle with more care and precision than the crane they use to move the space shuttle around. "nice gimbal, let me set you down ever so slowly and softly please don't break on me, 3..2....1...touchdown.

I use auto launch and land with the Fn button and only launch and land to my hand.

I normally return to home manually unless out of sight. Then I will hit RTH until in sight then bring it in for an auto land into my hand.

If too windy will grab spark out of the air and turn 90 degrees or find a less windy spot to land.

Reactions: jpfromoc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme