Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Does Spark already have UUID?

This might bring up a point to be made during the FAA NPRM. Many of us have found OTG to offer the most stable interconnection to the RC. We also usually turn WiFi connections to the phone off and put it in Airplane mode to reduce interference. The fewer WiFi signals competing for comms to the drone, the better, and less likely to have an unrequested flyaway. If this makes sense, it would be a valid argument against the Standard and Limited Remote ID methods. I presume WiFi from the drone would likely be the way for them to get the flight data. I, too, use a phone dedicated to the Spark that has no SIM card. DJI had previously said they were going to implement AirSense in 2020, but that is ADS-B based and the NPRM page 17 specifically said ADS-B Out is prohibited since it would saturate ADS-B frequencies used by manned aircraft.

So if I have no data plan to broadcast my flight, I'm grounded??

???

So if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no cellular or WiFi service, grounded?

I just ran across this video from 51drone that, hopefully, clarifies some of the issues:

51drone discusses FAA NPRM

He makes several interesting points:
1) this is only a proposal and is likely to go through many changes
2) implementation takes place 3 years after rule is finalized, which may take 18 months

Reactions: Spark 317
So if I have no data plan to broadcast my flight, I'm grounded??

???

So if you're out in the middle of nowhere with no cellular or WiFi service, grounded?
I recommend a two-pronged approach to this:
1) submit concerns/ideas/objections to those parts of the NPRM that are of concern
2) apply pressure to your U.S. senators and congresspersons voicing your concerns

It looks like that as many drone pilots as can or will needs to address this issue to the FAA after January 1. What needs to be considered is a low power transponder that can be attached or built into a drone that uses RF power and signal to transmit the AC identification and not force the issue of an internet connection being necessary while flying. So many pilots would be grounded when doing aerial videos of nature scenes out in the middle of nowhere due to the lack of a cell tower connection. If RF is used, this could address the issue of rogue pilots flying near stadiums or other outdoor venues where they shouldn't be flying. Then local law enforcement could monitor those drones and record the owner's information and act accordingly. Knowing though that unless the transponder is a built in device, some pilots would not use an add on transponder thinking that they are getting away with flying illegally. So many "if's" in this issue. At least I know I have a little over four years before this is set in motion.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I have not really been following this topic in detail. I understand what the basic premise is, being able to ID a drone in flight, and trace it back to it's owner/operator. Is the plan to log every flight that every drone makes, or just to be able to scan a drone of interest to get its ID?

If the latter, then a data connection should not matter. Authorities, or whomever, would just need to get close enough to the drone to get it's signal containing whatever information is mandated for it to transmit.

Just askin...

Reactions: I B Spectre
graywoulf: Page 17 of the NPRM says ADSB-Out and transponders are prohibited. It could be that the transponder they're talking about is as usually found in manned aircraft. I still think DJI's proposed AeroScope is by far the lowest cost, least intrusive workable solution. Of course this would negate the need for the USS folks to setup their operations and make money off subscribers, but let them go to the commercial sector for that.

Barbara: From what I read, they would keep a database of all drone flights, which is casting a ridiculously wide net. This rule-making proposal is designed to establish the means to regulate all drones (including RC aircraft). Businesses looking to deploy drone delivery services see this as their go-ahead moment.

Read the NPRM pages 107-114 to see various scenarios and how each ID method would work. I don't like any of them, especially when the scenarios talk about USS server outages.

Reactions: graywoulf
graywoulf: Page 17 of the NPRM says ADSB-Out and transponders are prohibited. It could be that the transponder they're talking about is as usually found in manned aircraft. I still think DJI's proposed AeroScope is by far the lowest cost, least intrusive workable solution. Of course this would negate the need for the USS folks to setup their operations and make money off subscribers, but let them go to the commercial sector for that.

Barbara: From what I read, they would keep a database of all drone flights, which is casting a ridiculously wide net. This rule-making proposal is designed to establish the means to regulate all drones (including RC aircraft). Businesses looking to deploy drone delivery services see this as their go-ahead moment.

Read the NPRM pages 107-114 to see various scenarios and how each ID method would work. I don't like any of them, especially when the scenarios talk about USS server outages.
Wow, only 319 pages....

Gonna stay here in Canada. What I get out of this is, New Drone (Post ruling), plus no Internet....No Fly. Could even be retroactively enabled on some older drones. If you're going off somewhere isolated (no cell coverage, and there's lots of that up here) don't bother bringing the drone.

The whole thing seems a little over the top and even paranoid. Or am I over-reacting?

Can’t add much as I’m in the UK and not sure if it would apply here anyway in the context of the consultation process that you have going on over the pond. Anyway, defied all advice on UAV and popped Spark up for a full 10 mins and apart from an Update (which I did on the spot before take off of course-took about 4 mins) I had no other notifications. Attaching a very washed out shot of moi to prove I got up but didn’t go up more than 50ft and flew no further than 100ft away and even then got two wind gust warnings. At leas5 I got to blow the cobwebs away.

Hello,

I've got DJI Spark with latest DJIGO4 app version and latest Spark firmware. Using my regular Samsung S9 phone for OTG connection (so my phone has active data connection).
Still - I don't seem to find UUID in DJIGO4 settings.

Do you have any idea why there's no such option?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme