Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Don't buy cheap Filters

ThePara

Join
Sep 17, 2019
So I thought i would save a few quid and purchased some Chinese filters, got a set of 6 in total for £37 all in, Used them today and here's the results....Don't do it, buy cheap, buy twice.

Attachments

• DJI_0428.JPG
    DJI_0428.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 103
  • DJI_0450.JPG
    DJI_0450.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 100
I have a set of the PolarPro cinematic filters and I'm pleased with them.

Polar Pro worked with DJI to make a filter that won't interfere with the gimbal operation.

Some of the other filters on the market are too heavy or big that may provide a gimbal overload message. They also may interfere with taking a pano or sphere shot as the camera tilts up past the horizon to get these shots.

The bridge is pretty cool.
Where is it?

Reactions: dap1948
Yeah, polar-pro are good, but also 3 x expensive. But will have to take the plunge I think. The bridge is Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol, England

Yeah, Cheers Haggi, was in fully manual mod in both Vid and Stills, 4 battery's worth of flying ruined!! never mind eh, just an excuse to buy more kit and get out again......Winner

Be sure to rate them as junk if bought online.
Looking forward for your next shot ?

I have no experience in using filters whatsoever but from what I have learnt about them on YouTube, they are used to produce the "cinematic motion blur" which we are used to seeing in movies. So may I ask what's the use of filters in taking photos like the ones you shared?

ND (neutral density) filters are used to attenuate the light reaching the image sensor. Polarizing filters reduce glare such as when flying over water or other reflective surfaces. PolarPro has a good tutorial on why and how to use them:

Using ND filters on your Spark

Reactions: RotorWash
I'm sure you already know this, but never use filter in Auto exposure.
You need to use Manual. Always.
Dumb question why can't you use auto with filters?

Reactions: zenfly
Actually I use my ND filters in Auto mode to get the right shutter speed that I want for a given subject. The filter seduces the amount of light reaching the senor, therefore reduces the shutter speed. The stronger the filter, the slower the shutter speed. I actually use Sunylife filters that a lot of people say they have problems with. I've had no issues with them at all, and the results are very good.

Yeah, polar-pro are good, but also 3 x expensive. But will have to take the plunge I think. The bridge is Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol, England
Crossed it this morning. Are we allowed to fly there? If so I’m off soon, it’s photogenic.

I found a 6 pack of Polar Pro filters for $45 online. I believe they might have been on "close out" but a great deal. They make a world of difference. I usually fly in auto mode with a nd16pl filter. I'm in Florida so a lot of super sunny , white sandy beach shots.

I flew side by side with my friend who has a mavic pro. We compared video and the spark using the filter had superior colors and contrast. He was in 4k . Now of course if he was using a filter the results would be different.

I don't fly without one. Even a nd8 helps at sunset.

The polorizing filters will reduce sun glare of many reflective surfaces and tend to increase saturation in both video and stills. I see a large difference in my results with the CPL (Sunny Life) and other of their filters the kids got me for my birthday. Polar will be on my list when I get my next drone... Have a look at the latest photos I posted (Cool Clouds). Those are unedited, the CPL added some saturation, but its most pleasing as the sun glare off the leaves of the trees is gone. I have only had time to try the ND/manual shutter speed adjustment thing once, and it was too late in the day, I am looking forward to playing with that more. Remember, you need 1/60th for the shutter with the Spark for it to be truly effective, so depending on how bright your day is, you will need to pick the best level of ND to avoid over or under exposure.

Reactions: RotorWash
Actually I use my ND filters in Auto mode to get the right shutter speed that I want for a given subject. The filter seduces the amount of light reaching the senor, therefore reduces the shutter speed. The stronger the filter, the slower the shutter speed. I actually use Sunylife filters that a lot of people say they have problems with. I've had no issues with them at all, and the results are very good.
"seduces the amount of light"
Now I could have some fun with that :p

Anyone ?
I use mine in auto to get the motion blur lower shutter speed, what am I missing please ?

Best results are based upon a constant light level approximation ... the transition from light to dark to light in auto might produce undesirable results, however, its all subjective....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe