Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Downloading without battery

Join
Dec 5, 2017
Can I have the Spark power up enough without battery to download the files on memory card ? Either using USB disk mode er WiFi/RC ?

When connecting it using the included cable to an USB 2.0 port, nothing happens.

All my race quads will power up the FC when connected to USB, and leave ESC/Motors without power, and I can configure/upload/download from it.

Do I need an USB 3.0 port ? Or a port with more power ? The FC should not eat that much.

You don't have to start the motors (or even connect the remote controller). If you fear your fingers will be lost, then remove the props before powering on your Spark.

Well, that is one design error as I see it, as powering it with a battery increases the risk of decapitated fingers.

I got that surprise a few hours after unboxing my Spark... I had the Spark sitting on my desk (powered on) close to a lot of stuff as I was configuring the remote. Set the Fn button for takeoff/land. When you press the takeoff on the phone you have to slide the slider to take off, so I was expecting the Fn button on the remote to bring up the slider on the phone. Nope, Fn-Take-off means take off now. As soon as I heard the Spark wake up I tried to quickly move it off my desk or at least get it in my hands (from below) before it decided to go into the air because it was sitting inches away from all sorts of bad things. Got bit a little by a prop in the process, minor bruise to a pinkie but that was it. I considered that a relatively "cheap" lesson to learn.

It's better to learn those lessons by reading other people's experiences though...

I figured out, that when the USB cable is connected to the quad, I get warnings on my phone app. It will not take off. Guess they added safety. So no big risk
But, for some reason it will not charge the battery (half charged) on my computers USB 3.0 port. Guess it sees the data and elects to not charge. My 5 port desktop charger would charge using same cable. Pulling 1.94A according to my USB doctor. Would be nicer if I could leave it connected to my PC and not deplete the battery.

Would be nicer if I could leave it connected to my PC and not deplete the battery.

You can take the card out if the Spark and plug right in the computer.
No power up at all.
Takes less than a minute to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar