Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone Used to Find Missing Deaf Teenager

Andre Levite

WELL-TRUSTED MEMBER
Premium Pilot
Join
Jun 18, 2018
Loc
Treasure Coast of Florida
Web
how-to-spark.com
Police used a drone with thermal imaging to locate and rescue a California teenager gone missing from School for the Deaf

Score A BIG WIN for the drone good guys!

Video Link:
Police Drone Finds Missing Teen

Text:
Fremont, CA - Missing teen located with the use of a UAV (drone) equipped with a FLIR camera. On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, at 8:32 p.m., Fremont Police Dispatch received a call from the California Highway Patrol requesting an outside assist to locate a student of the California School for the Deaf who was missing. It was believed the teen-age juvenile had voluntarily gone missing and there was immediate concern for the child's mental well-being. Several Fremont patrol personnel responded to assist with the search. The California School for the Deaf is within the jurisdiction of the California Highway Patrol. While CHP was responding to the scene, Fremont patrol units began developing information, with the assistance of the juvenile's friends to help narrow his location. Through the use of social media, it was believed that the juvenile was near the train tracks in our Irvington District, close to Roberts Ave. As a response to the search, a Fremont Police drone operator deployed an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), while other officers began searching the railroad tracks on foot. The UAV was equipped with FLIR, a thermal imaging camera system. Shortly after guiding the UAV to the location, a heat spot was located. As information was being shared to the officers on foot, the missing juvenile's friends, also on foot, approached their friend who was hiding in bushes. The UAV operator was able to visually see this transpiring and continued to relay the information over the radio. The friends were aware of the UAV in the air and used their cell phone flashlights to signal the operator. A spotlight on the UAV helped guide officers to their location and was used to provide light while officers communicated to the teens. The missing teen was taken to paramedics who were staging nearby. The California Highway Patrol handled the investigation from this point forward.

I read that yesterday.

I think our county emergency responders have an Inspire 1 or 2. I see them at times at the training facility practicing.

They also use them at our local outdoor concert venue to keep an eye on the crowd.

That's just to cool! And here I thought drones were evil :cool:

Drones are not evil. They are being used for a number of good things these days. From the place where I hail from, Assam, located in north-east India, we have a world heritage site called Kaziranga National Park with the largest living population of one-horned rhinos in the world. Drones are being used there to monitor wildlife during floods and also to keep an eye on poachers who hunt the rhinos for their horns.

Reactions: McCloudSpark
Drones are not evil. They are being used for a number of good things these days. From the place where I hail from, Assam, located in north-east India, we have a world heritage site called Kaziranga National Park with the largest living population of one-horned rhinos in the world. Drones are being used there to monitor wildlife during floods and also to keep an eye on poachers who hunt the rhinos for their horns.
I know - I was just havin' a little fun because of the post about "evil drones". They are great and have many valuable uses - besides just entertaining me :cool:

Reactions: nilanjan118
I know - I was just havin' a little fun because of the post about "evil drones". They are great and have many valuable uses - besides just entertaining me :cool:
Just like guns, can be used for evil purposes. But you don't see for now criminal activities by drones like you see everyday in the news about guns.

The “Drones are Evil” post is more about how Dedrone is portraying drones, to sell their products!
Drones are saving lives, but Dedrone is not going to mention that. They want the public to be scared of drones & spend thousands of dollars to keep drones away.

Police used a drone with thermal imaging to locate and rescue a California teenager gone missing from School for the Deaf

Score A BIG WIN for the drone good guys!

Video Link:
Police Drone Finds Missing Teen

Text:
Fremont, CA - Missing teen located with the use of a UAV (drone) equipped with a FLIR camera. On Tuesday, February 5, 2019, at 8:32 p.m., Fremont Police Dispatch received a call from the California Highway Patrol requesting an outside assist to locate a student of the California School for the Deaf who was missing. It was believed the teen-age juvenile had voluntarily gone missing and there was immediate concern for the child's mental well-being. Several Fremont patrol personnel responded to assist with the search. The California School for the Deaf is within the jurisdiction of the California Highway Patrol. While CHP was responding to the scene, Fremont patrol units began developing information, with the assistance of the juvenile's friends to help narrow his location. Through the use of social media, it was believed that the juvenile was near the train tracks in our Irvington District, close to Roberts Ave. As a response to the search, a Fremont Police drone operator deployed an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV), while other officers began searching the railroad tracks on foot. The UAV was equipped with FLIR, a thermal imaging camera system. Shortly after guiding the UAV to the location, a heat spot was located. As information was being shared to the officers on foot, the missing juvenile's friends, also on foot, approached their friend who was hiding in bushes. The UAV operator was able to visually see this transpiring and continued to relay the information over the radio. The friends were aware of the UAV in the air and used their cell phone flashlights to signal the operator. A spotlight on the UAV helped guide officers to their location and was used to provide light while officers communicated to the teens. The missing teen was taken to paramedics who were staging nearby. The California Highway Patrol handled the investigation from this point forward.
That’s great news to hear. I fly locally in the Monterey County with the Mprecc local drone team for first responder support. Has been many instances that I have been on with the team in the last two years of flying for different agencies as needed . We fly the inspire 2 with a flare camera , as well as A Mavic pro, a maverick platinum and two phantom trainers for new pilots to learn on. The Mavic pro can be used indoor with full cage for inspecting or clearing rooms as needed such as a earthquake or burned structure , although there has been the talk of getting the spark which is quicker to deploy For close quarter contact areas less costly to lose a spark. We do fly under a COA which does allow us to fly in different situations not normally permitted .
All said I still enjoy flying my personal spark, fits in my backpack and I take it most places I go on all trips . The next drawing we are looking at will be the Dji mav2 “enterprise” with a built in FLIR and camera to switch back-and-forth during flight. I flew one of these when they first came out in the seminar has very nice features .

Last edited:
Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit