Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Entry Level = Beginner

aviscomi

Premium Pilot
Join
May 27, 2017
Loc
Philadelphia, PA
So in regards to WIFI on the drone, WIFI on the RC WIFI on the mobile device (phone/tablet) and the activation process WTF was DJI thinking when they developed the Spark. They market it "Entry Level", well with all the chaos surrounding connections they ****** that up. I had no issues, but I also have a Masters Degree in Comp Sci. I find it very hard to believe that they (DJI) could develop some sort of GUI (user friendly) wizard. Between this and the DJI forum there are a large number of users struggling to get into the air.

Last edited:
I'm very nervous reading all these issues as I still wait for my shipping notification.
Nothing to be nervous about, they aren't really issues. Just annoyances

The general public is not used to going to the device list and picking out something that is not a Wi-Fi hotspot. It's that simple. So the toggling back-and-forth to get the download from Wi-Fi , then switch over to the spark to get it to update, I think it's confusing for some people and the "get started brochure" doesn't do a good job If you've never done this before. I've had to do it with smart bulbs in my house, so I've seen this before. But the first time I had to do it , it was really foreign to me

Reactions: Nikon1
The general public is not used to going to the device list and picking out something that is not a Wi-Fi hotspot. It's that simple. So the toggling back-and-forth to get the download from Wi-Fi , then switch over to the spark to get it to update, I think it's confusing for some people and they get started brochure doesn't do a good job If you've never done this before. I've had to do it with smart bulbs in my house so I've seen this before. But the first time I had to do it it was really foreign to me
Exactly the point I was trying to make...thanks for the smart bulb example.

Certainly not defending DJI on this issue, but I'm thinking this was the first time they've done this type of r/f interfacing. IMHO - They need some people in their documentation department that are both documentation experts and training experts, who know how to write documentation for end-users who are not experts - especially in this class of targeted users.

YMMV

It isn't that hard to figure out, but they probably could have done a better job explaining it. It all makes sense, tho.
Certainly not defending DJI on this issue, but I'm thinking this was the first time they've done this type of r/f interfacing. IMHO - They need some people in their documentation department that are both documentation experts and training experts, who know how to write documentation for end-users who are not experts - especially in this class of targeted users.

YMMV
Yeah, the "Hi, I'm Ty" guy could have been a little more clear on activation with the different packages, and "if you fly with a smartphone you have to do this and connect this way, and if you fly with an RC you have to do this and connect this way, and when youchange back and forth you have to do it all over again." It all makes sense, but can be a little overwhelming for a newbie.

I believe using Wifi to control a drone is a bad idea in the first place. Where i live you may get 10-15 wifi hotspots all competing for the same bandwidth.
After i tried my first drone with smart phone controler, i quickly decided i would not fly a drone without remote controler ever again.
Hopefully firmware upgrades of Spark and Rc can be done via usb cable?

Reactions: Glen e
I believe using Wifi to control a drone is a bad idea in the first place. Where i live you may get 10-15 wifi hotspots all competing for the same bandwidth.
After i tried my first drone with smart phone controler, i quickly decided i would not fly a drone without remote controler ever again.
Hopefully firmware upgrades of Spark and Rc can be done via usb cable?
You can currently use an USB cable with the RC on the Spark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme