Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark-Final Thoughts

aviscomi

Premium Pilot
Join
May 27, 2017
Loc
Philadelphia, PA
As the saying goes, "opinions are like assholes, everybody has one". With that said here is mine (this is NOT a performance review). I've had my Spark (actually I have 2) for 3 days and have flown a few packs through it. The "bottom-line" is this:
  1. The DJI Spark is overpriced! The base kit (Fly Less) should have been priced at $399 and included a remote.
  2. The activation/pairing process sucks. Though I had no issues, but I also come from a techie background.
Regarding point #1...$499 is too much to pay for a drone that basically uses the same WIFI technology as a Parrot BeeBop. If it used Lightbridge or Occusync my opinion would differ, but would still want a RC included.

Regarding point #2- DJI's target market for this device was "entry level", thus they (DJI) could have made the entire WIFI process a bit more user friendly. This forum (and others) are riddled with activation and connection questions.

I have no comments in regards to picture quality, due to the fact that this is an "entry level" device and I have my Mavic and I2 if I want quality.

Thanks for allowing me to rant.

Reactions: Previous Member
I agree with you. I wish it had occusync and a controller as part of the base. I am sure the Spark will still have a large following but makes you wonder how much larger the user community would be

1. Overpriced--- I agree but they will still sell them like hot cakes. They won't have to discount much in the future because it will be replaced by a newer better AC, probably costing much less. I am somewhat embarrassed when people ask how much I paid for it. That won't keep me from enjoying it though

2. Activation/pairing is actually excellent WHEN IT WORKS. Getting it to work is SOMETIMES another matter! Hopefully firmware and app updates will improve the initial experience.

I need to get a couple hundred flights in and learn to use all of the intelligent flight modes before I can really make an accurate assessment though.

Looks like the Android users are having a hell of a time connecting...I was just on the DJI Forum and they're pissed.

Looks like the Android users are having a hell of a time connecting...I was just on the DJI Forum and they're pissed.

Not being from an Android background, I would say that DJI has their sites squarely set on the iOS market.

While unpacking both the Mavic and Spark, I felt the Steve Jobs "Total Experience" was adopted by DJI.

With pricing, when I look at the technology that DJI has packed into this tiny platform, I'm blown away. Expensive - All in the point of view. I do think for the the base price-point the RC should have been included, but I don't know exactly what's in there. I do wish they had gone with a different R/C method, but looking at the market I think Spark is aimed at, I guess it makes sense.

As far as the activating process, I think they need more qualified people in both their Documentation and Training Departments. In this class of product I think they missed the mark with their target audience.

I have to wonder if when DJI looks at just how many experienced "professional drone pilots" bought the Spark they won't be surprised.

My biggest wish would be for additional batteries and props at FCS - but I'm still amazed that I had my FlyMore on the date promised.

I'm very happy with my Spark FlyMore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav