Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Exploring Range Part 2

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
So here is a really short version of my longer test video (which i may pub to my channel), so those down under dont need exotic mama's/mammals or whatever to stay awake! :eek:;)
(see the the other video I recently posted in this same forum)

I was very pleased with the outcome. First time I switched from 5.8 to 2.4 (We operate in FCC mode in Canada.) It was really hot out, cool part of this, as I was that was venturing a littler father than last time, I could see that our beaver pond has water in it again, it dried up totally a couple of years ago. Next flight will be to visit the SE corner back there... it will most likely be treetops, something I have lots of.

I have not had time to fly again since, I have one quick questions for all you leathery seasoned pilots.... once its switched to 2.4, will it retain that for the next flight, or will it revert to 5.8 next time I power up?

Thanks all....:cool:

Last edited:
By some chance are you in So. IL? The area looks very familiar as in I think I ha e flown there where you are in the Shawnee National Forest. If not you’re close because that’s God’s country you’re in there. Very stunning wherever you may be. What was the range and did you use an extender set?
Best wishes,
Harry

So here is a really short version of my longer test video (which i may pub to my channel), so those down under dont need exotic mama's/mammals or whatever to stay awake! :eek:;)
(see the the other video I recently posted in this same forum)

I was very pleased with the outcome. First time I switched from 5.8 to 2.4 (We operate in FCC mode in Canada.) It was really hot out, cool part of this, as I was that was venturing a littler father than last time, I could see that our beaver pond has water in it again, it dried up totally a couple of years ago. Next flight will be to visit the SE corner back there... it will most likely be treetops, something I have lots of.

I have not had time to fly again since, I have one quick questions for all you leathery seasoned pilots.... once its switched to 2.4, will it retain that for the next flight, or will it revert to 5.8 next time I power up?

Thanks all....:cool:
I was just beginning to enjoy the video when It ended. Lol.

I apologise for my lack of patience with your previous video, & misspelling of your spark’s name. I could show a nine minute video featuring kite string, no kite or anything else just 2 strands moving back & forth over the ground, filmed from 35m. zzzzZZZ

I like that you are getting to be more adventurous and showing more footage of your piece of wooded paradise. Are you planning on trying the latest release of Litchi?

I was just beginning to enjoy the video when It ended. Lol.

I apologise for my lack of patience with your previous video, & misspelling of your spark’s name. I could show a nine minute video featuring kite string, no kite or anything else just 2 strands moving back & forth over the ground, filmed from 35m. zzzzZZZ

If I ever get down to your neck of the woods, I will surely buy you a beer, or coffee.... or both (so you dont sleep in the beer).:);)

I like that you are getting to be more adventurous and showing more footage of your piece of wooded paradise. Are you planning on trying the latest release of Litchi?

Well, one of my motivations for getting a camera drone was so I could "survey" my large property from the air.... on the ground, like I said, its very jungle-like, and easy to lose reference points. I would need a good crew of guys with chain saws and other equipment to cut trail all the way to the back without that taking months.... on my own, its very slow going. We do have some trails, but its limited, and the forest grows back really fast, trees fall all the time, and so on.

So just a ittle further and I wlll have all four corners covered by air. I just learned that I might be taking a little business trip about 4 hours east of Toronto, so the Spark will be coming along for that adventure. It will be nice to fly with more confidence in an unfamiliar area. So using my home to get my "wings" so to speak has been a bonus.

I am going to do up the long version of that flight... it is quite soothing (to a drone nerd at least). I was having a little fun with a certain aussie... hence the speedy version.:D

As for Litchi, I am still very new, worried about my warranty, so not yet.

Okay, so here is the long version of flight 35, with some canned "chill" music as I was too busy to dig up some of my own mixes. Note the hawk checking out the drone near the end of the video just before the landing sequence. All footage except for the landing is realtime. And upscaled to 4k ...

Hope the chilled pilots enjoy ;):p

Last edited:
Reactions: Poletramp
Btw how far had you covered, until triggered by fail-safe RTH?
For me I reached 2.7km over water (fcc 2.4 + antenna reflector) :)

Actually, I did not push it anywhere near that far... the longest straight run was about 1km, I was standing in the middle of that stretch. Total flight distance was 2.5km, but I am not inclined to see just how far it will go... I've seen some attempts on YT... thats good enough for me :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis