Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA studies falling drones.

I don't know who wrote this but it's a complete waste of time: 34 mph isn't the issue at all - it's the terminal velocity that is the issue. What happens if a Spark's battery clip pops off (as there are countless recorded incidences of) and it drops from 120m (or potentially higher) onto a person's unprotected head? Death or severe head injury I'd imagine.

Looks like they didn't consider that. A smaller dense object is going to be different than an intact drone.

Upon searching news stories I found a man was killed by a 1 lb tape measure.

Tape measure falls 50 stories, killing man at construction site

Secure the heck out of the battery, or contact DPI maybe and tell them it's an absolute issue that batteries come loose before there's a big frickin expose' one day of people being killed and injured. Plus owner operator gets sued. No small thing.

Rubber bands will stop the batteries from falling out, but a single motor failure, wire failure, esc, failure, software failure will still have the little brick falling out of the sky from up to 120m with no parachute.

Looks like they didn't consider that. A smaller dense object is going to be different than an intact drone.

Upon searching news stories I found a man was killed by a 1 lb tape measure.

Tape measure falls 50 stories, killing man at construction site

Secure the heck out of the battery, or contact DPI maybe and tell them it's an absolute issue that batteries come loose before there's a big frickin expose' one day of people being killed and injured. Plus owner operator gets sued. No small thing.
Screenshot_20171205-204602.png

I have decided to use a rubber band as a secondary safety measure. Whether you use a rubber band or a purchased plastic clip, I wouldn't fly with faulty battery clips because sole reliance on these items is far too risky. Batteries with faulty clips should be returned to DJI so they can learn the importance of not making rubbish.

Obviously, if you use an item like this, you need to be certain the band will not depress the off button. When I experimented, even if the band was directly on the button it did not turn off, but you need to check that for yourself.
IMG_4100.jpg

Reactions: Seanjo

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe