Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Filters or no filters?

thewhatever

Join
Nov 8, 2017
I finally ordered my dji spark fly more, now I am checking if I need some accessories, so are filters really useful or you can just control shutter speed by lowering the iso, and are cpl as effective as on dslr? I mean will a polarizing filter make the sky more blue?
If yes should I pick an Anbee (on amazon) cpl and nd 16 or take a nd 32 if I just want 2 filters? And please no polarpro, I have found them overpriced

I finally ordered my dji spark fly more, now I am checking if I need some accessories, so are filters really useful or you can just control shutter speed by lowering the iso, and are cpl as effective as on dslr? I mean will a polarizing filter make the sky more blue?
If yes should I pick an Anbee (on amazon) cpl and nd 16 or take a nd 32 if I just want 2 filters? And please no polarpro, I have found them overpriced
So, yes filters are useful for video. The CP can also be useful for picture and the ND almost not at all.
Only 2 filters sounds limiting you a lot.
In full sunny days, ND32 is the best compared to ND16 but sometimes it is even ND64 could be needed. If you really take only CP and 1 ND, I would take ND16 as it would cover a more broad range of case (day of time, weather, ...) but it will be best at nothing and average at everything. It depend also where you leave, what you want to film and what kind of weather you typically have.
The CP is especially useful over water but it can also require some ND at same time.

It will mostly be sunny days (hiking,skiing,jogging...), I thought polarising filter make a better contrast between the blue of the sky and clouds no? Can we use both cpl and Nd filters at the same time?

No you cannot use both at same time, too much weight will result in a gimbal error. There are CP and ND as one filter but that add even more filters to carry.

I have a relatively inexpensive Chinese filter set from Sunnylife. First I bought a 3 pack combo of an MCUV, CPL and ND8 filters. Later I realized that if am shooting on a sunny day I need higher stops ND filters, so I ordered ND16 and ND32. ND32 was enough for me on a bright sunny day on a beach. Since you cannot use multiple filters at a time I almost never use the MCUV or the CPL filters because my main objective is to keep the shutter speed at 1/60. If you are going to focusing on making photos instead of videos, you might benefit from the CPL and/or MCUV filters. If you are shooting mainly videos, I would recommend buying the ND filters first.

Reactions: thewhatever
I have a relatively inexpensive Chinese filter set from Sunnylife. First I bought a 3 pack combo of an MCUV, CPL and ND8 filters. Later I realized that if am shooting on a sunny day I need higher stops ND filters, so I ordered ND16 and ND32. ND32 was enough for me on a bright sunny day on a beach. Since you cannot use multiple filters at a time I almost never use the MCUV or the CPL filters because my main objective is to keep the shutter speed at 1/60. If you are going to focusing on making photos instead of videos, you might benefit from the CPL and/or MCUV filters. If you are shooting mainly videos, I would recommend buying the ND filters first.

Hi, Im thinking of getting a set of sunnylife filters. Could they cause gimbal overloads? and do they work well? Thanks so much!

I use a cheap set, had to cut away the "holding arm" and attach it to the camera with double sided tape. It does not work with pano`s because the filter arm blocks the camera from tilting to high. Filters also prevents prop shadows. (when flying into the sun).

Reactions: thewhatever
I thought polarising filter make a better contrast between the blue of the sky and clouds no?

I have the Polar Pro cinematic 6 pack, although I haven't used any of the polarized lens, I didn't realize that polarized lenses need to be adjusted by rotating a bezel to get the right effect (total newbie to the photography world).

I would think that if you adjusted the lens on the ground, and then when in flight, the light condition changes do to a different angle of perspective of the subject and may not come out as expected?

You might have to do a couple of test flights to see since you can't adjust it in flight.

Reactions: rich777
ND filters are a must for drone video but useless for photos. Photos best with polarizing filter or none at all.

I have used several brands that all have great results. Polar Pro has been best quality for the price.

I do get gimbal overload occasionally. Seems like it's only when I use Sport Mode. I believe the extra weight of filter plus less streamlined contour combine to cause this error.

Recording video from Spark with Sport Mode on is to jittery anyway so easy to avoid this problem.

I don’t bother with ND filters on my Spark. I use them with my Phantom, due to its wide range of camera settings. I would think that lens filters would be hard on the Spark’s delicate/small gimbal.

I run a CPL exclusively, and constantly. My spark shoots incredibly well with it in low light, as well as full sunlight... even better than my P3S with a cpl attached (which took a lot of counter balancing!).

For the Spark, I believe mine is a YoX, it was >$20 off Amazon, and simply snaps on the front of the lens assy. No clip wrapping around the back for added weight and gimbal errors. I do occasionally see a gimbal overload after flying hard in sport mode for a few mins, but tbh, I had them without the filter just as often.

Initially I worried this simple design might not hold on during sudden stops, stressful maneuvers, etc... but so far, its right where I put it months ago!

Just my $.03. [emoji868]

Sometimes it's too bright out and the filters also control glare over water. Filters enable you to pick slower shutter speed which is helpful in many situations.. there have been times when I was at the highest shutter speed ,lowest iso and it was too bright

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme