Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

First YouTube video-music

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hi all. I have made my first 1.40min [that’s 1 minute 40 seconds!) video and am polishing it up at the mo. I have selected the music but can I just ask-the track is from my iTunes library-will I be able to use it on YouTube or will there be copyright issues?

If you use copyrighted music without formally licensing it YouTube will detect it automatically and take down your video. Period.

You can appeal if there is a discrete reason (like you are the original author or have paid a licensing fee). If you do it repeatedly they will take down your channel.

Buying a song on iTunes doesn't give you the right to attach it to your video and play it on YouTube. There are plenty of sites for royalty free music or paid tracks.

Reactions: Grin factpr
If you use copyrighted music without formally licensing it YouTube will detect it automatically and take down your video. Period.

You can appeal if there is a discrete reason (like you are the original author or have paid a licensing fee). If you do it repeatedly they will take down your channel.

Buying a song on iTunes doesn't give you the right to attach it to your video and play it on YouTube. There are plenty of sites for royalty free music or paid tracks.

Negative.
YouTube has gotten lenient over time.
They now have a policy that seems to be if there is not a dispute as to who receives the royalties, YouTube allows the audio but you cannot monetize the video.
The copyright holder gets the money when people click on ads in the video.

I have been uploading videos for over 4 years and never got a "copyright strike" against me.
Case in point, the latest graduation video, I used Pink's "A million Dreams" as the music.
I got this message:
"Ads might appear on your video.
Copyrighted content was found in your video.
The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.
Viewing restrictions: NONE
Monetization: Can't monetize video
If you agree to these conditions, you don't have to do anything."

I have gotten the message "blocked in 248 countries" a couple of times.
I just delete from YouTube, find new music and try again.
But YouTube does not block all copyrighted content.

Yes, I use a lot of instrumental karaoke versions but they are copyrighted too.
I have never had the "you can file a dispute" message displayed.

Last edited:
What's the best site to download free music and how do you do it thanks

Here are some results from the Forum.

I haven't tried any yet and I'm sure one is better than the other depending on user preference.

There is so much to choose from to find the right music for a clip.

I envy those that can create their own music whether by playing actual instruments or producing something via software.

But if YouTube doesn't flag the copyrighted stuff as much as they use to, as stated above, take a chance and pick out something you like and post it.

Reactions: Highflyer
Negative.
YouTube has gotten lenient over time.
They now have a policy that seems to be if there is not a dispute as to who receives the royalties, YouTube allows the audio but you cannot monetize the video.
The copyright holder gets the money when people click on ads in the video.

I have been uploading videos for over 4 years and never got a "copyright strike" against me.
Case in point, the latest graduation video, I used Pink's "A million Dreams" as the music.
I got this message:
"Ads might appear on your video.
Copyrighted content was found in your video.
The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.
Viewing restrictions: NONE
Monetization: Can't monetize video
If you agree to these conditions, you don't have to do anything."

I have gotten the message "blocked in 248 countries" a couple of times.
I just delete from YouTube, find new music and try again.
But YouTube does not block all copyrighted content.

Yes, I use a lot of instrumental karaoke versions but they are copyrighted too.
I have never had the "you can file a dispute" message displayed.

My experience has been different than yours.

I used a song from my iTunes library that I had purchased. I got a take down notice and a copyright strike. Within a day. They notice asked me to produce proof that I had a paid license for the song to appeal the strike and get it back online.

But I don't use instrumental karaoke versions of Pink songs...

AND I ALSO DON'T FLY OVER GROUPS OF PEOPLE (especially crowds of minora who cannot consent)

My experience has been different than yours.

I used a song from my iTunes library that I had purchased. I got a take down notice and a copyright strike. Within a day. They notice asked me to produce proof that I had a paid license for the song to appeal the strike and get it back online.

But I don't use instrumental karaoke versions of Pink songs...

AND I ALSO DON'T FLY OVER GROUPS OF PEOPLE (especially crowds of minora who cannot consent)
Sorry you had such an experience.
Try it again, it’s different now.

And guess what?
I don’t fly over people either.
It’s called a good camera angle.
My spotter guided me through breaks in the crowds.
And it was easy to fly over and between the board members heads on stage.

By the way, I got my approval from the Superintendent and the school board since '16.

Seriously though, you need to quit being a smartie pants jerk.

ALL of your comments belittle people, like you are a know-it-all.
Always have a comment for something...mostly disagreeing with everyone.
Do yourself a favor since you comment so much...go to the DJI forum.
At least you would be earning $0.02 in DJI credit a comment.
And leave the people alone that want to help others.

Love the ignore feature

Last edited:
Reactions: jimlips
Sorry you had such an experience.
Try it again, it’s different now.

And guess what?
I don’t fly over people either.
It’s called a good camera angle.
My spotter guided me through breaks in the crowds.
And it was easy to fly between board members heads on stage.

Seriously though, you need to quit being a smartie pants jerk.

I'm not complaining about how YouTube does business. My beef is with people who game the system and use copyrighted material without permission.
And with people who resort to name calling when they've been caught violating FAA regulations.

Why not do the right thing and subscribe to a music licensing service so that the artists get paid? Or why not make a modest effort and use royalty free music? And why not stop flying over crowds of minor children?

Last edited:
For starters, YouTube has its own library of non-copyright music. Try this link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex