Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flight Prep using Google Assistant

Dodge DeBoulet

Join
Dec 27, 2018
Loc
Maine
I've created a short routine in Google Assistant that does the following on my device when I say OK Google, let's fly:

• Set the Media Volume to 75%
  • Set the Display Brightness to 75%
  • Launch the DJI GO 4 App

I have voice authentication enabled so that the command works even if the device is locked.

Any other settings I should consider?

EDIT: For those of you with Samsung devices and Bixby (S8/Note8 and later), don't bother, at least in English. I simply cannot get it to understand "DJI GO 4" as an app that can be launched (and this issue is not exclusive to DJI GO 4). Bixby is great for very fine-grained control of your Samsung device settings, but it's severely lacking in the voice recognition department.

Last edited:
Can it switch Bluetooth OFF and Airplane mode ON?

Ok, I've updated my routine and added a new one. "OK Google, Let's Fly" now does the following:
  • Set the Media Volume to 75%
  • Set the Display Brightness to 75%
  • Turn Bluetooth Off
  • Launch the DJI GO 4 App
The second routine basically undoes what the previous one does. "OK Google, Done Flying" performs the following actions:
  • Turn Bluetooth On
  • Set the Media Volume to 50%
  • Set the Display Brightness to 50%
  • Start the Default Launcher
I can't find a way to command Google Assistant to exit DJI GO 4, so the last command just takes me to the home screen by starting the phone's launcher.

Also, note that I did not enable Airplane Mode in the first routine. The reason is that, with Airplane Mode enabled, the 2nd routine doesn't work ... Google Assistant needs to "phone home" to interpret commands, so you'll need either a wifi or cellular connection to the internet for it to work. If you're using an OTG cable and a provisioned Android phone/tablet with cellular data, you can certainly include a command to turn wi-fi off (and back on again in the 2nd routine) if you'd like.

I received a request from another SparkPilots member asking how to create Google Assistant Routines, and I figured it made more sense to post the instructions here than respond privately. So here goes ...
  1. Launch Google Assistant by either saying "OK Google" or holding down the Home button
  2. Swipe up on the Assistant pop-up at the bottom of the screen to have it fill the screen
  3. Tap the Google avatar (circle with your Google picture) in the upper right-hand corner of the screen and select "Settings"
  4. From the Settings screen, tap the "Assistant" heading
  5. Tap "Routines" from the Assistant menu
  6. Create a New Routine by tapping on the blue circle with the + symbol in the lower-right corner of the screen
  7. Tap "Add commands (required)" then type the phrase you'd like to use with "OK Google" such as "Let's fly"
  8. Tap OK
  9. Tap the left arrow icon in the upper left corner of the screen to return to the previous menu
  10. Tap "Add action"
  11. Type in the first action you'd like to perform, such as "turn bluetooth off"
  12. Tap "Add" at the top right corner of the screen
  13. Repeat steps 10 through 12 for any additional commands
  14. When done, tap the check mark at the upper right corner of the screen to save the routine
  15. Repeat steps 6 through 14 for any additional routines you'd like to create
  16. Exit Google Assistant by pressing the Home button
There are other settings that may be required if you'd like Google Assistant to recognize your voice for unlocking your phone. Normally, Assistant will walk you through those steps the first time you use it.

You can find more information on setting up and managing Google Assistant Routines at this link.

Thank you for sharing this interesting info ..this is one of the reasons that I enjoy this forum ..to meet people like you who thinks out of the box and shares your experiment and experience ..

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef