Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying DJI spark under hot condition or weather

plgnply

Join
Aug 16, 2020
does anyone experienced flying your DJI Spark in hot weather condition? cuz I was playing my Spark this afternoon and the weather was like 106° to 108°. So when my drone was up in the air the battery got ejected by itself because when I was trying to pair the wifi and checking different settings, and it was idle for 5mins or more outside and it was on the pavement. I lift it up and turn on my AC on my car to cool it down. but then I decided to changed the battery, so when I flew it for like 4 or 5 mins the battery got ejected and of course the drone crashed. what holds the battery was a rubber right? so I suspect the rubber got kinda loosen up a bit during the flight cuz of the hot weather? cuz there's no way I didn't latched it down very well?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland plgnply
I hope the Spark survived the crash.

The operating temperature range of the Spark is 32-104 F (0-40c) and the battery will be much warmer than that when flying in hot conditions.

It may be possible that the battery swelled up a bit and popped itself off of the Spark.

The battery is held on to the Spark with two spring loaded tabs and after installation, it's good to do a plug and tug to insure it's secure.

I recently retired one of my batteries due to it swelling. I found it difficult to remove it from the Spark. The battery worked fine but I don't trust it and it sits in a metal box JIC.

The Spark has been known to loose the battery during the flight due to the design of the small tabs. DJI released a second batch of batteries with larger tabs to help remedy this. The nine, eight batteries I have are all first generation with no problems.

The use of a battery clip will help.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Last edited:
I just flew a bit with my SPARK under hot weather conditions (~30°C in the shadow, that is extremely hot for northern Germany) and had some issues for the very first time:
  • long time to find enough satellites before take off (clear sky)
  • sudden ATTI mode in RTH-flight (triggered by hand), but could take over manual control easily
    I did not watch the screen while landing to see if GPS mode came back, I had sight to the SPARK and it was easy to fly to the takeoff point and land with pinpoint accuracy
Thanks to some YouTube videos explaining the ATTI mode and always saying "don't panic!" ;) I kept cool and just took over manually. :)

Reactions: ClimbMIT and Haggi
I just flew a bit with my SPARK under hot weather conditions (~30°C in the shadow, that is extremely hot for northern Germany) and had some issues for the very first time:
  • long time to find enough satellites before take off (clear sky)
  • sudden ATTI mode in RTH-flight (triggered by hand), but could take over manual control easily
    I did not watch the screen while landing to see if GPS mode came back, I had sight to the SPARK and it was easy to fly to the takeoff point and land with pinpoint accuracy
Thanks to some YouTube videos explaining the ATTI mode and always saying "don't panic!" ;) I kept cool and just took over manually. :)

If the recommendation of the manufacturer is not to exceed 104 degrees, why push it and fly anyway? I don't get it.

If the recommendation of the manufacturer is not to exceed 104 degrees, why push it and fly anyway? I don't get it.

30°C = 96°F
40°C = 104°F

So I was in the range of 0-40°C (32-104°F), exactely 25% below maximum. So everything should work fine.

Ever since I've had a DJI drone, I've been able to judge the engineering skills of the DJI technicians - they do their job very well. So I suspect that - like good engineers do - they built in a reserve, i.e. the drones can actually do a little more than is stated in the technical data. Presumably the temperature range also has such a reserve.
But anyhow I was below the limit.

Reactions: dragonalumni
Actually 30°C = 86°F, so you were well wishing the range. And I have flown most of my flight in hotter weather here in the southern USA. And yes the do build in a reserve, so we can take our chances, but be safe about it.

does anyone experienced flying your DJI Spark in hot weather condition? cuz I was playing my Spark this afternoon and the weather was like 106° to 108°. So when my drone was up in the air the battery got ejected by itself because when I was trying to pair the wifi and checking different settings, and it was idle for 5mins or more outside and it was on the pavement. I lift it up and turn on my AC on my car to cool it down. but then I decided to changed the battery, so when I flew it for like 4 or 5 mins the battery got ejected and of course the drone crashed. what holds the battery was a rubber right? so I suspect the rubber got kinda loosen up a bit during the flight cuz of the hot weather? cuz there's no way I didn't latched it down very well?
Hi, after long time I flew my Spark yesterday under a temperature of 43 degrees C (110 F) in Riyadh of Saudi Arabia at 3pm (under the Saudi Arabia's sun) with windy conditions. That means in very adverse conditions for a period of 20 minutes (2 batteries) using DJI Goggles. Except the fact that when it landed the whole drone and especially the batteries where very hot, I didn't experience any other issue. Maybe the consuming of power was more but I didn't count it. It's my feeling. Due to the concerns i read in that post I may consider flying it again in so adverse conditions.

Hi, after long time I flew my Spark yesterday under a temperature of 43 degrees C (110 F) in Riyadh of Saudi Arabia at 3pm (under the Saudi Arabia's sun) with windy conditions. That means in very adverse conditions for a period of 20 minutes (2 batteries) using DJI Goggles. Except the fact that when it landed the whole drone and especially the batteries where very hot, I didn't experience any other issue. Maybe the consuming of power was more but I didn't count it. It's my feeling. Due to the concerns i read in that post I may consider flying it again in so adverse conditions.

would love to see some footage of this, especially if it involves any sand dunes.

I really like my Spark and keep reading more and more about people keeping theirs, even a few buying a Spark over the Mini. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of 3rd party batteries. I can get them for my Mavic but not the Spark. You'd think there would be a market large enough for some manufacturer to make them for all the Spark fans.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef