Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying indoor

Here's my situation. I live in Phoenix and when the temperature gets above 100 during the summer the last thing I want to do is be outside. So I'd like to be able to at least get a little practice in with Spark in my house. Is there not a way to use the controller without the wifi and phone and just controller it like that? I do fly smaller RC helicopters in my house all the time using my DX6 radio. It seems like all the sensors and the various wifi signals and the connection to phone just create more opportunities for an accident.

Here's my situation. I live in Phoenix and when the temperature gets above 100 during the summer the last thing I want to do is be outside. So I'd like to be able to at least get a little practice in with Spark in my house. Is there not a way to use the controller without the wifi and phone and just controller it like that? I do fly smaller RC helicopters in my house all the time using my DX6 radio. It seems like all the sensors and the various wifi signals and the connection to phone just create more opportunities for an accident.
Weather you use the RC or just a phone/tablet either way the connect to the Spark is via WIFI

Reactions: New Drone Guy
Can you disable all the sensors so you are basically controlling the drone on your own like a regular RC copter and then I'll say prayer that my existing wifi and our neighbors or nearby telephone polls don't interfere. I wish there was a way to test all this before I forked out the money for a Spark.

Can you disable all the sensors so you are basically controlling the drone on your own like a regular RC copter and then I'll say prayer that my existing wifi and our neighbors or nearby telephone polls don't interfere. I wish there was a way to test all this before I forked out the money for a Spark.
That would be ATTI mode and unfortunately that can't be turned on manually

For some reason I have it in my head that if you connect your iPad to the controller with a Micro USB cable/OTG cable you're going to cut out WIFI and other interference. But it looks like if you use an OTG cable you'll void the warranty. I am in Suburbia and I am sure there are lots of electric polls and other homes within close proximity. Is there a workaround?

Last edited:
For some reason I have it in my head that if you connect your iPad to the controller with a Micro USB cable you're going to cut out other WIFI signals. Seems like I saw a video on that.
If you have a stable OTG connection you cutoff the wifi from the RC to iPad, but you still have wife from rc to Spark. Think about it logically, there needs to be some type of connection to the Spark

Does the wifi connection work from inside to outside? Sit inside the patio door and fly it around out back?
Absolutely! I've flown my Spark, Mavic and P4P that way. Just keep an eye on your signal strength indicators.

Absolutely! I've flown my Spark, Mavic and P4P that way. Just keep an eye on your signal strength indicators.
So you don't worry about it voiding the warranty?
This the video that I am referring to. I guess somewhere in the controller it would record that you used an OTG cable? Otherwise how would DJI even know?

Last edited:
So you don't worry about it voiding the warranty?
This the video that I am referring to. I guess somewhere in the controller it would record that you used an OTG cable? Otherwise how would DJI even know?
How would it void the warranty?? If you read the post I replied to, he asked about flying inside through a patio door with WIFI. No OTG involved!

Ok good to know. I thought that it is only on gps mode as i cant go to the intelligent flight mode (where i can then select tripod) without gps.

I flew indoors yesterday and switched to Tripod mode and found it to be very good for indoor flying. Very slow movements and manageable. I was able to keep GPS lock, but I was flying near the windows so maybe that helped.

I'll give it try. Recently repainted my living room to cover all the the Blade Heli mishaps. Not in the mode to paint again.

New member here, first time owning a drone that's been more than $100. I flew mine outside on beginner and learned the movements, how to read the map and signal, etc. Decided I wanted to take it inside and fly it to the counter top before recharging. I guess I had RTH on with default 30m set because all of a sudden it flew up into the popcorn ceiling and kept bashing into it like a fly on a window before I could pull both sticks down and shut her off. Long story short, it's snowing asbestos in my kitchen now and I think if you fly inside, you need to make sure your RTH is set to current.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena