Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Sparky off the edge of the Grand Canyon?

Greekislandlover

Join
Feb 4, 2019
The maximum height I can get Sparky to is 120M above ground. I'm wondering what happens if you did a dronie off of the edge of the Canyon where it drops a LOT very quickly. Would he stay at at the height of the launch and do the shot, or would he drop like a stone until 120M above ground and not be able to RTH?

I'm not likely to be going there any time soon, but use it as an example. We do have cliffs round here I might like to try flying from at some point and don't want to get into a situation whereby I lose the drone by trying to get that sort of shot.

Reactions: John Thompson
the Spark considers the take off altitude to be zero even though that is almost never case (unless you are really at sea level).

So when you take off from a.1000m hillside you can go to 120m AGL which is 1120m actual altitude. It doesn't zoom down to 120m above sea level from the hilltop (or from the edge of a canyon).

Reactions: rcdude
The maximum height I can get Sparky to is 120M above ground. I'm wondering what happens if you did a dronie off of the edge of the Canyon where it drops a LOT very quickly. Would he stay at at the height of the launch and do the shot, or would he drop like a stone until 120M above ground and not be able to RTH?

I'm not likely to be going there any time soon, but use it as an example. We do have cliffs round here I might like to try flying from at some point and don't want to get into a situation whereby I lose the drone by trying to get that sort of shot.

If you happen to be on the valley floor flying up to a ridge, you may have to set your maximum height higher than 400 feet if the ridge is higher than that from the launch point.

I found this out while on vacation at Dale Hollow Lake in KY/TN. I flew from the lake and reached my maximum height but couldn't fly up high enough to look over the ridge until I bumped up the setting.

Would he stay at at the height of the launch and do the shot, or would he drop like a stone until 120M above ground and not be able to RTH?
If you fly over a cliff (or any ground that descends), the Spark will continue to fly at its current altitude. It will only ascend/descend when you command it to by adjusting the throttle on the remote controller.

All makes sense - thanks :)

I have flown him off one cliff round here, but it wasn't one of the high ones. Sparky stayed at the altitude I flew over the edge at. I saw a travel programme on TV earlier where people were walking over a very high bridge and there was a drone shot. Obviously TV drones are a different beast - just wondered what the Spark would do.

I was flying at the weekend and couldn't get enough height to see the subject from above properly. Sparky won't go above 120M in the UK - I've tried. The reason was obviously because I started from a low point and flew uphill. If I'd have walked up the hill and taken off from there I would have had greater height than I got as Sparky would have started higher up in the first place.

Not a trick question. The question is what happens if you take off from a point (such as a cliff, or top of a tall building) then fly the drone outwards. All of a sudden it's above the maximum height of 120M from ground level. How would the drone behave? Would it drop to 120M and be unable to RTH, or would it stay at the take off level and be able to RTH?

I apologise for using a NFZ as an example - it's simply the first example that came to mind!

Reactions: BigAl07
I’m wondering how easy it would be to fly it in that area, it all seemed very controlled when I was there.. paid my $75, bussed in, guards stopped us from getting too close to the edges, lots and lots of people taking selfies and photos!

I’ve only ever visited the GC for a vacation, I’m sure there are more secluded areas you could access though other than the tourist traps?

I’m wondering how easy it would be to fly it in that area, it all seemed very controlled when I was there.. paid my $75, bussed in, guards stopped us from getting too close to the edges, lots and lots of people taking selfies and photos!

I’ve only ever visited the GC for a vacation, I’m sure there are more secluded areas you could access though other than the tourist traps?
If the regulations are the same as Australia then GC is all national park, you can apply for a permit to fly in a national park, but you will need to choose a secluded area & dates, write an application, then hope for approval.

Reactions: Spark 317

And some of the tourists may be on helicopters and planes going to the secluded areas.

Sounds like you were at the Indian Sky Walk. Owned and operated by American Indian tribe. Not National Park.
There is another area (much cheaper and no guards). It is the legitimate National park South Rim and Grand Canyon village. Lots of hiking trails, History and such.
There are also North Rim Grand Canyon National Park facilities.

One thing to keep in mind flying over a sharp drop off is that the wind often picks up dramatically when you go over it. It can seem calm a few feet back and have major wind speed just over the edge.

I flew my spark in the Swiss alps last month and experienced it frequently over drop-offs. The spark will usually keep you centered if active tracking but it may not fly in a straight line.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast