Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying the Spark indoors

Wingman8209

Join
Dec 30, 2018
Morning. I haven't flown my Spark at all yet but one of the things I want to do is take some video of RC car racing indoors. Is there a preferred procedure for doing this? I'm a little confused as the Spark will not take off in beginner mode without GPS connection yet flying indoors there is a good chance you won't get a good GPS lock. If not in beginner mode and you have a weak or lose GPS lock, don't you run the risk of having the Spark go into ATTI mode ? I know from experience (with other RC aircraft, not the Spark) that trying to fly with no "autopilot" help can be insanely difficult.

Also, I notice people here love to use acronyms. Is there a sticky with the most commonly used abbreviations and their meanings ?

Steve

If the room is large enough for the Spark to fly in and is well lit, Atti-mode shouldn't be a problem unless there is a cross wind or something from HVAC.

Use the prop guards for added saftey and stay away from the walls and ceiling as the prop wash may suck the Spark in that direction.

Tripod mode is preferred indoors as the movement of the Spark is slowed down with the joysticks.

If you have a chance to do a test flight before the event, try it out.

Here is a thread on the Forum to help with acronyms.

Good luck.

If the room is large enough for the Spark to fly in and is well lit, Atti-mode shouldn't be a problem unless there is a cross wind or something from HVAC.

Use the prop guards for added saftey and stay away from the walls and ceiling as the prop wash may suck the Spark in that direction.

Tripod mode is preferred indoors as the movement of the Spark is slowed down with the joysticks.

If you have a chance to do a test flight before the event, try it out.

Here is a thread on the Forum to help with acronyms.

Good luck.

Thanks. I'll check out tripod mode.

I was led to believe that Tripod mode only works with GPS???
has anybody tried Tripod mode indoors?

Beginner mode will set geofencing so you can’t fly away by accident, that is why it needs satellite connection. Tripod mode is equivalent to RC plane low rates, gentle & slow even if you are banging the sticks. I’m not an indoor flyer, but it should work. To add to the advice you have been getting, I would suggest that you have an assistant, so one person is watching the Spark at all times when the other is looking at what the Spark’s camera is filming. Good luck, I hope you will share the results here.

Reactions: PaulsSpark104
Morning. I haven't flown my Spark at all yet but one of the things I want to do is take some video of RC car racing indoors. Is there a preferred procedure for doing this? I'm a little confused as the Spark will not take off in beginner mode without GPS connection yet flying indoors there is a good chance you won't get a good GPS lock. If not in beginner mode and you have a weak or lose GPS lock, don't you run the risk of having the Spark go into ATTI mode ? I know from experience (with other RC aircraft, not the Spark) that trying to fly with no "autopilot" help can be insanely difficult.

Also, I notice people here love to use acronyms. Is there a sticky with the most commonly used abbreviations and their meanings ?

Steve
Really, you should be able to fly the Spark without GPS. That is one thing that you need to master if you own the Spark. If you can't fly without GPS then you probably shouldn't even have one.

Really, you should be able to fly the Spark without GPS. That is one thing that you need to master if you own the Spark. If you can't fly without GPS then you probably shouldn't even have one.

I don't disagree but it is very difficult. I think the point here is that the default flight mode is ATTI if GPS fails. Given that Sparks are being sold to kids (and adults) who have no previous flight experience, it's a guaranteed fly away or crash if they suddenly find themselves in ATTI mode. It would seem there could be a better solution.

Here's another question for the experts. When using the RC, you start the motors by pulling both sticks down and in. You kill the motors by holding the throttle (left) stick full down. How many people have found themselves in a situation where all they want to do is get the Spark on the ground as quickly as possible. So you yank the left stick full down for maximum decent and what. You kill the motors ? Or will that not happen above a certain altitude.

I don't disagree but it is very difficult. I think the point here is that the default flight mode is ATTI if GPS fails. Given that Sparks are being sold to kids (and adults) who have no previous flight experience, it's a guaranteed fly away or crash if they suddenly find themselves in ATTI mode. It would seem there could be a better solution.

Here's another question for the experts. When using the RC, you start the motors by pulling both sticks down and in. You kill the motors by holding the throttle (left) stick full down. How many people have found themselves in a situation where all they want to do is get the Spark on the ground as quickly as possible. So you yank the left stick full down for maximum decent and what. You kill the motors ? Or will that not happen above a certain altitude.

Full down on the left stick (in mode 2) is "descend at maximum safe rate," not "kill motors." If you continue to hold the stick down once the drone senses a surface immediately below it, it auto-lands. Only after the drone has landed do the motors stop.

Reactions: Daren71
Full down on the left stick (in mode 2) is "descend at maximum safe rate," not "kill motors." If you continue to hold the stick down once the drone senses a surface immediately below it, it auto-lands. Only after the drone has landed do the motors stop.
Too add to this if you hold both sticks down and in yes then it kills the motors. Both sticks down and out will start your motor if you want to do a manual lift off

Thanks. That clears it up. Left stick full down won't kill the motors unless the Spark detects something solid (more or less) underneath it.

woulndt recomend flying inside unless you own a hanger for airplanes or a wearhouse flying in a house or under a overhang etc... stupid in my book.... for one it could take off fly into the roof ripping off the props and they fly into your eyes or it fly into someone etc.. you want to fly indoors buy those kids drones you know the 100 dollar or less ones.. with no gps.. or racing drone.. where there is no automatic software where you fully controll it.. no bigger than your hand though....

woulndt recomend flying inside unless you own a hanger for airplanes or a wearhouse flying in a house or under a overhang etc... stupid in my book.... for one it could take off fly into the roof ripping off the props and they fly into your eyes or it fly into someone etc.. you want to fly indoors buy those kids drones you know the 100 dollar or less ones.. with no gps.. or racing drone.. where there is no automatic software where you fully controll it.. no bigger than your hand though....
I disagree I fly mine in my basement with a prop guard kit they range from 10 to 20 bucks. One it teaches you to fly in Atti mode which has saved me twice now from fly always. When you spark losses GPS signal and it will one day then it’s free to just float off which ever way the wind takes it. Just like in Atti mode indoors so that experience is invaluable. I just go down and fly around nothing fancy. Here is a link to the kit I purchased

I disagree I fly mine in my basement with a prop guard kit they range from 10 to 20 bucks. One it teaches you to fly in Atti mode which has saved me twice now from fly always. When you spark losses GPS signal and it will one day then it’s free to just float off which ever way the wind takes it. Just like in Atti mode indoors so that experience is invaluable. I just go down and fly around nothing fancy. Here is a link to the kit I purchased

PGYTECH Brand Professional New Arrival Propeller Guard & Landing Gear Protection For DJI SPARK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8HNB2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BLBmCb8XQ05BS

I was recently flying my Spark in my basement mainly trying to figure out how the controller worked and to connect/disconnect it. It's not a great habit to fly indoors for so many risks, but at least be an experienced flyer. It's really easy to hit the wrong stick and fly up in to a light or in to a wall without realizing it. ATTI or whatever mode does fly the spark amazingly level though. Other drones indoors have massive movement if they are hovering. The spark sticks to the sky just like outside.

you have angered the drone gods... with your blastfamy prepair to pay the price.. aka repairing your drone lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast