Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Four+ Reasons NOT to Buy an iPad Mini 4 Right Now

The features of both iPad Mini 4 models are well documented on the Apple website. Unfortunately the poor naming scheme of the devices leads to a messy discussion.

The original point being made was that if you cache the maps when at home on wifi you can use them in DJI Go app on a device with NO cellular service, NO wifi connection and NO gps antenna when out in the field.

Can we all agree on that? :D

The features of both iPad Mini 4 models are well documented on the Apple website. Unfortunately the poor naming scheme of the devices leads to a messy discussion.

The original point being made was that if you cache the maps when at home on wifi you can use them in DJI Go app on a device with NO cellular service, NO wifi connection and NO gps antenna when out in the field.

Can we all agree on that? :D

We can certainly all agree on that ... but it's not really what we were disagreeing on ;)

Just to clarify some points:

1. If you have an iPad mini 4 NO GPS (WiFi only), you can use a Bluetooth GPS receiver to turn your iPad to a GPS capable device.

2. Go4 app, doesn't use Apple maps, but maps of another company (usually "Here Maps"). To show maps online (during flight) go4 app needs a connection to the internet (via WiFi, or cellular). If you haven't an internet connection during flight, you can cash map at home and it will be saved (this doesn't work well for me). Note, that everything written in this paragraph has nothing to do with your iPad's GPS capability.

3. If you have an iPad mini 4 WITH GPS (cellular models, or using a BT GPS as mentioned above) and you plan to use it with different DJI drones (as Mavics) you can have dynamic change of the home point (change it as you move), or use it with auto modes, as "follow me". I have used these with my Mavics, and don't remember if there are other functions using GPS of the device.

So
You can buy an iPad mini without GPS and cellular. It's cheaper.

If you see in the future, that you need GPS, just get a BT GPS receiver.

If you want to have internet connection in flight field, just enable WiFi spot, on your smartphone, and connect your iPad to internet.

If you want all the connectivity because you need it, buy an iPad with cellular (it has GPS), as I did, and pay some more money.

The release of the iPad Mini 5 appears imminent. Apple just applied to European and Asian regulators for approval. Expected release in March 2019.

Eurasian Filing for New iPad Models

FYI: If you are an iPad Mini fan the article below is about the most comprehensive I've seen (a lot more interesting than Wikipedia too)

iPad Mini 5 Preview

Anybody wanna buy my used iPad Mini 2?

Yeah, having trouble seeing the screen on my mini-4 in the sun. Just received a sun shade for it so will see if that helps (and isn't too much trouble to use).

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre Levite
Yeah, having trouble seeing the screen on my mini-4 in the sun. Just received a sun shade for it so will see if that helps (and isn't too much trouble to use).

I purchased a generic 3 side shade and it was worthless. Trying to totally block the sun is tough at times.

I have since purchased this sun shade / hood for the mini4 and love it. It's always in a "shaded" area and easy to see.

It's not cumbersome and stores flat in the case.

Here is a review link from YouTuber Peter Homer.

WOW! You put your face right up against it and it's just like the DJI goggles :cool:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tell me about it.

It's a little close while wearing glasses, but it does block the sunlight.

I wouldn't see the screen clearly, from such a little distance.
I'll give the 3 sided sunshade a go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe