Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gesture Mode

Patrick in Florida

Join
Aug 17, 2020
I’ve been flying DJI for about 5 years, spark for 2. It’s a great drone - great video - love it. But I’ve had very little success with the gesture mode. I know what it’s supposed to do, but it’s not very responsive. I’m current on FW. Would like to simplify follow me without using the iPhone and remote. Also the concept of selfie appeals to me.

Reactions: Spark^
I also have not had much luck with the hand gesture mode, although I have't spent much time with it. I have heard others call it a gimmick, as they were disappointed in the results.

You can fly the drone with the iPhone only using wifi, which I have done many times especially when I want a selfie. It allows for much greater range and control than what you can accomplish with the hand gestures. Although not as far as with the remote.

If the subject blends into the shot being taken, the Spark has a tough time following the target.

Wear clothing that will "pop" against the background and the Spark will track better.

I have seen successful tracking videos here on the Forum so it does work if the lighting and subject can be seen by the Spark.

The only gesture I've given the Spark was the one finger salute when the normal gestures didn't work for me. :D

I remember that one Spark^.

Fine example of the gesture mode in real life.

Thanks for sharing again. :)

I can tell you that it does not work well in bright sunlight. Especially if the Spark is facing the sun. I don't use it myself as I think it is too risky not having my Spark connected to the controller just in case there is a problem.

Well this isn't new but it was my experience with gesture mode.
That was the funniest thing I’ve seen on the gesture mode but glad it finally came back to you. I was laughing the whole time because of it being sped up lol

That was the funniest thing I’ve seen on the gesture mode but glad it finally came back to you. I was laughing the whole time because of it being sped up lol
Ya I had a good laugh when it was all over and my arms rested up? My neighbor and his wife were walking down their driveway and wondering what the hell I was doing. ?

Quick question about Gesture mode.
Last year because of the limited landing space I liked to switch Sparky to the Gesture mode at the end of the flight so it could land directly to my hand.
This year I tried the same but the drone avoided a hand's palm gesture and tried to go up a bit. I checked several times in different areas.
Where am I wrong now?

Last year because of the limited landing space I liked to switch Sparky to the Gesture mode at the end of the flight so it could land directly to my hand.
This year I tried the same but the drone avoided a hand's palm gesture and tried to go up a bit. I checked several times in different areas.
Where am I wrong now?
You can land it in your hand with the controller

Where am I wrong now?
Yeah the hand landing with gesture mode can be hit and miss. Sometimes if you pan it around 360 or fly more than just a few meters before trying to land in your hand it sometimes helps. However, a much better solution is as Spark^ suggested and that is to just land in your hand without first enabling Gesture Mode.

When you put your hand underneath the Spark it will lift slightly due to the vision sensor detecting an object, just keep your hand there and then hold down the left stick (throttle) until it comes down and lands in your hand. It will hesitate at first for a second then it will gently land, just be careful of not just your hand but also your eyes/face as well. As I'm sure you know, safe hand landing requires one's full attention with no exceptions.

edit, figured I throw this in here as well if you still want to go with gesture mode:
palmland.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pashokk and Spark^
I tried gesture mode a few times. The last time while hovering at about 10 ft off my deck Spark shut off and crashed. No damage, but when I asked dji they told me something to the effect that this was a known problem.

Reactions: pashokk
The only question is will it shut down the motors after this "landing" or it's just a trick to get Spark in your hands?

The only question is will it shut down the motors after this "landing" or it's just a trick to get Spark in your hands?
The motors shut off when the Spark realizes it is no longer flying. Just like when you hold the throttle stick down to land.

Reactions: pashokk
I tried gesture mode a few times. The last time while hovering at about 10 ft off my deck Spark shut off and crashed. No damage, but when I asked dji they told me something to the effect that this was a known problem.
wtf !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex