Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal movement

tsafe

Join
Sep 10, 2018
Hey all,
I did some filming yesterday and noticed when I move the Spark laterally or rotate, even slowly, sometimes the gimbal doesn't adjust or move smoothly. It will have a jerk when recording. I try to be as gentle on the controls as possible but still the gimbal still reacts that way.

Is this an issue with the gimbal or because it's a 2-axis there is no way around it? Thanks in advance.

Hey all,
I did some filming yesterday and noticed when I move the Spark laterally or rotate, even slowly, sometimes the gimbal doesn't adjust or move smoothly. It will have a jerk when recording. I try to be as gentle on the controls as possible but still the gimbal still reacts that way.

Is this an issue with the gimbal or because it's a 2-axis there is no way around it? Thanks in advance.

Yes. The video lag on yaw is due to the lack of a 3-axis gimbal. It uses digital image stabilizing but the processor can't keep up.

Your results will be a little better in Tripod Mode. Over time I've learned to minimize yaw in my videos unless combined with another subtle move.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Yes. The video lag on yaw is due to the lack of a 3-axis gimbal. It uses digital image stabilizing but the processor can't keep up.

Your results will be a little better in Tripod Mode. Over time I've learned to minimize yaw in my videos unless combined with another subtle move.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a defective gimbal because it will br crooked for a second or two and then go back to being level. I will try tripod mode next time.

So I tried tripod mode and the gimbal still sticks as I move horizontally. As I make the initial movement, the gimbal does not stay straight or level and then it balances back out.

So I tried tripod mode and the gimbal still sticks as I move horizontally. As I make the initial movement, the gimbal does not stay straight or level and then it balances back out.
It is normal to have a bit of jerk when you switch from one movement to another or at the time of an initial movement from hover position. Most of the people remove those bad portions of the video in post edit. If you still feel it is a problem with your gimbal, I suggest you share a video for everyone to see and give their feedback.

It is normal to have a bit of jerk when you switch from one movement to another or at the time of an initial movement from hover position. Most of the people remove those bad portions of the video in post edit. If you still feel it is a problem with your gimbal, I suggest you share a video for everyone to see and give their feedback.

Even in tripod mode?? The aircraft barely moves in that setting so I thought it was weird it does it then as well. Andre recommended above.
I figured someone would say post a video, I just haven't gotten around to doing it.

The gimbal is not "sticking". The Spark only has a 2-axis gimbal that does not include a yaw axis.

The stuttered video during yaw is an inherent limitation of the Spark - you cannot entirely eliminate it. As I suggested you can reduce it with slowed movement such as Tripod Mode.

The sure fire way to eliminate this effect is
1. Avoid yaw during filming
2. Edit out stuttered video in post
3. Upgrade to a 3-axis drone

Reactions: Andro
The gimbal is not "sticking". The Spark only has a 2-axis gimbal that does not include a yaw axis.

The stuttered video during yaw is an inherent limitation of the Spark - you cannot entirely eliminate it. As I suggested you can reduce it with slowed movement such as Tripod Mode.

The sure fire way to eliminate this effect is
1. Avoid yaw during filming
2. Edit out stuttered video in post
3. Upgrade to a 3-axis drone

Thanks. I misunderstood. It didn't seem to reduce it at all in tripod mode.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef